The new guy

Default Building a boat

Can anyone tell me where to start?
My dream is to have a 30-40 feet power boat that I could take in the ocean
(Florida to the Caribbean Islands and back). Lets say I will buid it
myself, how much time and money is involved (providing I will be able to
work on it only on weekends, and maybe some weekdays, like hollidays)

Mark Davis

I am pretty new to the adventures myself, but here is my opinion. Assuming
you have little or no experience in building or rebuilding a boat, if you do
well, my info is probably useless.

First define what you need and what you don't, then what skillsets do you
have or could you learn. I originally was going to go for a 30-40 foot boat
cause I wanted an aft cabin as well as a berth etc. After really thinking
about it, I wound up with a 27' foot that has a v-berth and a flybridge
which is a good balance for fishing and cruising to the bahamas with the
wife and kid. I specifically knew what the waters were like and went for
something with a lot of freeboard and that is fairly heavy so it rides
smooth.

Second, I would highly suggest not building the hull/cabin structure and
instead finding a good deal on a hull/cabin that is in solid shape and start
there. I say this after spending the last year trying to decide to build
first or buy used and restore. I have steel and fiberglass experience, but
given that I have limited time, nights and weekends to work on the boat it
made more sense to start with something rather than a set of drawings.

Additionally, I think, you'll save yourself a ton of money, learn how boats
are constructed and then you can build your next one while knowing what your
getting in to. At least that's my theory.

And I can say, I have learned more in just a week about how the boat is
constructed than I did in a years worth of research. Although I understood
the theories and designs, it is the application that has helped me most,
coarse I am kind of a visual hands on person.

Just a newbies opinion.

Good luck no matter what.

Mark.

"The new guy" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Can anyone tell me where to start?
My dream is to have a 30-40 feet power boat that I could take in the ocean
(Florida to the Caribbean Islands and back). Lets say I will buid it
myself, how much time and money is involved (providing I will be able to
work on it only on weekends, and maybe some weekdays, like hollidays)

The new guy

Do you have any pictures of your boat?
Where is a good place to find a good deal on a hull/cabin? I spent 2 months
last year looking for a deal and found nothing (or maybe I did but did'nt
know that is was a deal) The one I liked a lot was a 35 footer, they wanted
12000$ CAD, the boat was at a marina in the water, about 20 years old (don't
ask for the model) it had some water in the engine compartment, it had a
wooden hull.
Then talking to guys in the marinas everyone agreed that the way to go is
fiberglass.
The prices scared me away.
The other question that I have is that if there is a difference in a boat
for the lakes and one for the ocean (salted water), like engine cooling and
stuff.
You see, I have no experience at all, sorry if I sound dumb, but to learn
you must ask
..

terry

Your looking at around 20 grand and it will take you so long that you will
start dreaming of setting the blame thing ablaze before your finished.

Mark Davis

I'm setting up a quick web site (my real profession is a software engineer)
this week with everything on my boat and pictures... I'll post the URL back
mid-week.

As for your other questions. I have seen the best time to find deals is
when everyone is starting to winterize their boats (fall) and when they take
them out in spring. Usually this is because someone won't want to go
through the hassel of the winterization etc if the boat is operational. Or
it is cause they froze the motor and don't want to for storage.

I found mine through E-Bay, but also I had two good lines on boats in S. Fl.
I live in Central Florida but wound up buying a boat out of Maryland. Go
figure.

I wouldn't worry about age so much as structural integrity, I bought a 1969
Concorde (Owens) and the hull is great. I would suggest having a surveyor
look at the hull with you, I did that just so I could be sure it was okay.

I'd stay with fiberglass, just a preference. As far as a boat on the great
lakes or ocean. My understanding (and remember I'm still pretty new too) is
that it is a good idea to have a fairly stout boat on the lakes. Meaning,
if it was me, I would want a blue water boat, something with high freeboard
and decent V on it with hopefully some flare to the deck/hull to keep the
boat dry. I understand the lakes get just as big of waves as the Atlantic.

As for cooling the boat, that might be easier cause I don't think you
wouldn't need a freshwater cooling system, but someone else should probably
chime in here.

Hope this helps some...

Mark.

"The new guy" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

[...]

.

stevej

You could first build a model of the boat you want to build.

Lets say I will buid it myself, how much time and money is involved

(providing I will be able to work on it only on weekends, and maybe some
weekdays, like hollidays)

Old Chinese proverb..."When you get your house done, you die". Wonder
if this applies to boat building?

The new guy wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to start?
My dream is to have a 30-40 feet power boat that I could take in the ocean
(Florida to the Caribbean Islands and back). Lets say I will buid it
myself, how much time and money is involved (providing I will be able to
work on it only on weekends, and maybe some weekdays, like hollidays)

Jim Woodward

Mark has given you excellent advice -- I second all his comments.

Many of the smaller boatbuilders will sell new bare hulls or hull and deck
combos. Check the National Fisherman
http://www.nationalfisherman.com/
or Boats and Harbors
http://www.boats-and-harbors.com/

Although I love wood boats (to the point that I spent three years trying to
make a living at building them), I would not buy a wood hull and put a lot
of money in it. While it is always hard to sell home built projects, a wood
hull would make it nearly impossible.

Take a look at Glenn Ashmore's web site
www.rutuonline.com
Although he's a building a larger sailboat, it may help with some of the
issues.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

..
..
"The new guy" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

[...]

Donald Phillips

The new guy wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to start?
My dream is to have a 30-40 feet power boat that I could take in the ocean
(Florida to the Caribbean Islands and back). Lets say I will buid it
myself, how much time and money is involved (providing I will be able to
work on it only on weekends, and maybe some weekdays, like hollidays)

Do you like to build things? Usually only those that love to build have
the endurance to stay on multi-year projects. I planned on about 5 for
my boat but will probably run over. There are all kinds of set backs
that don't even include building, like health, money, jobs, family, so
forth.

If you only want to be on the water, better buy an older boat and fix
her up and make her into what you want.

Want to build but would like to cut a couple or more years off of it,
buy a hull as mentioned above and go for it. This will be far more
building than most people want.

I think the average time for single hand building of a boat the size of
mine, say 40 - 45' is around 7 years. Money is wide open and nobody
could make an accurate guess, depends on your tastes. I like all things
new, but I have very simple tastes, don't care for fancy or expensive
things. I planned on spending around 30 to 40 thousand but I may be
surprised when I start adding up all my little receipts.

Donald

--
I'm building a Steel Robert's 434. You can sneak a peek if you wish by
clicking on me link below.

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM