Mark Davis

Default Building a boat

I am pretty new to the adventures myself, but here is my opinion. Assuming
you have little or no experience in building or rebuilding a boat, if you do
well, my info is probably useless.

First define what you need and what you don't, then what skillsets do you
have or could you learn. I originally was going to go for a 30-40 foot boat
cause I wanted an aft cabin as well as a berth etc. After really thinking
about it, I wound up with a 27' foot that has a v-berth and a flybridge
which is a good balance for fishing and cruising to the bahamas with the
wife and kid. I specifically knew what the waters were like and went for
something with a lot of freeboard and that is fairly heavy so it rides
smooth.

Second, I would highly suggest not building the hull/cabin structure and
instead finding a good deal on a hull/cabin that is in solid shape and start
there. I say this after spending the last year trying to decide to build
first or buy used and restore. I have steel and fiberglass experience, but
given that I have limited time, nights and weekends to work on the boat it
made more sense to start with something rather than a set of drawings.

Additionally, I think, you'll save yourself a ton of money, learn how boats
are constructed and then you can build your next one while knowing what your
getting in to. At least that's my theory.

And I can say, I have learned more in just a week about how the boat is
constructed than I did in a years worth of research. Although I understood
the theories and designs, it is the application that has helped me most,
coarse I am kind of a visual hands on person.

Just a newbies opinion.

Good luck no matter what.

Mark.

"The new guy" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Can anyone tell me where to start?
My dream is to have a 30-40 feet power boat that I could take in the ocean
(Florida to the Caribbean Islands and back). Lets say I will buid it
myself, how much time and money is involved (providing I will be able to
work on it only on weekends, and maybe some weekdays, like hollidays)