Donald Phillips

Default Building a boat

The new guy wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to start?
My dream is to have a 30-40 feet power boat that I could take in the ocean
(Florida to the Caribbean Islands and back). Lets say I will buid it
myself, how much time and money is involved (providing I will be able to
work on it only on weekends, and maybe some weekdays, like hollidays)

Do you like to build things? Usually only those that love to build have
the endurance to stay on multi-year projects. I planned on about 5 for
my boat but will probably run over. There are all kinds of set backs
that don't even include building, like health, money, jobs, family, so
forth.

If you only want to be on the water, better buy an older boat and fix
her up and make her into what you want.

Want to build but would like to cut a couple or more years off of it,
buy a hull as mentioned above and go for it. This will be far more
building than most people want.

I think the average time for single hand building of a boat the size of
mine, say 40 - 45' is around 7 years. Money is wide open and nobody
could make an accurate guess, depends on your tastes. I like all things
new, but I have very simple tastes, don't care for fancy or expensive
things. I planned on spending around 30 to 40 thousand but I may be
surprised when I start adding up all my little receipts.

Donald

--
I'm building a Steel Robert's 434. You can sneak a peek if you wish by
clicking on me link below.