Mark Davis

Default Building a boat

I'm setting up a quick web site (my real profession is a software engineer)
this week with everything on my boat and pictures... I'll post the URL back
mid-week.

As for your other questions. I have seen the best time to find deals is
when everyone is starting to winterize their boats (fall) and when they take
them out in spring. Usually this is because someone won't want to go
through the hassel of the winterization etc if the boat is operational. Or
it is cause they froze the motor and don't want to for storage.

I found mine through E-Bay, but also I had two good lines on boats in S. Fl.
I live in Central Florida but wound up buying a boat out of Maryland. Go
figure.

I wouldn't worry about age so much as structural integrity, I bought a 1969
Concorde (Owens) and the hull is great. I would suggest having a surveyor
look at the hull with you, I did that just so I could be sure it was okay.

I'd stay with fiberglass, just a preference. As far as a boat on the great
lakes or ocean. My understanding (and remember I'm still pretty new too) is
that it is a good idea to have a fairly stout boat on the lakes. Meaning,
if it was me, I would want a blue water boat, something with high freeboard
and decent V on it with hopefully some flare to the deck/hull to keep the
boat dry. I understand the lakes get just as big of waves as the Atlantic.

As for cooling the boat, that might be easier cause I don't think you
wouldn't need a freshwater cooling system, but someone else should probably
chime in here.

Hope this helps some...

Mark.

"The new guy" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

Do you have any pictures of your boat?
Where is a good place to find a good deal on a hull/cabin? I spent 2

months
last year looking for a deal and found nothing (or maybe I did but did'nt
know that is was a deal) The one I liked a lot was a 35 footer, they

wanted
12000$ CAD, the boat was at a marina in the water, about 20 years old

(don't
ask for the model) it had some water in the engine compartment, it had a
wooden hull.
Then talking to guys in the marinas everyone agreed that the way to go is
fiberglass.
The prices scared me away.
The other question that I have is that if there is a difference in a boat
for the lakes and one for the ocean (salted water), like engine cooling

and
stuff.
You see, I have no experience at all, sorry if I sound dumb, but to learn
you must ask
.