Glenn Ashmore

Default Ritchie Globemaster on eBay

Should have thought to mentioned it here first but I just listed a new
Globemaster SP-5C compass on eBay. After I built the binnacle with an
instrument pod I realized that it would be to high for easy viewing so I
bought a flush mount. One of you guys building a larger boat might
could use it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2441483 980

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Brian Whatcott

I hope the anonymous commentator is joking...

I understood Glenn's motivation

Brian W

wrote:

Should have thought to mentioned it here first but I just listed a new
Globemaster SP-5C compass on eBay. After I built the binnacle with an
instrument pod I realized that it would be to high for easy viewing so I
bought a flush mount. One of you guys building a larger boat might
could use it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2441483 980

Brian D

I'm trying to figure out what's illegal about buying something then turning
around and selling it. This is America. Buy and sell what you want. Let
the best man win.

Brian

wrote:

Should have thought to mentioned it here first but I just listed a new
Globemaster SP-5C compass on eBay. After I built the binnacle with an
instrument pod I realized that it would be to high for easy viewing so I
bought a flush mount. One of you guys building a larger boat might
could use it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...egory=31277&it

em=2441483980

steveb

Glenn Ashmore lifted the trapdoor, peered around
and wrote:

Because of design changes and over-purchases anyone building a large
boat will have some extra material that others in the group could use.
While I completely agree with the ban on commerical posting, prohibiting
an anouncement of the availability of this material eliminates some of
the value of this newsgroup.

It's a long establishe Usenet tradition for group members to offer for
sale, items we may be interested in - the distinction being that these are
private sales, and not in pursuit of a commercial enterprise.

Most ngs also get considerable advice from interested traders who just join
in because it's their area of expertise. Those ppl are perfectly entitled
to include a link to their website in a sig.

Complaining to an ISP about all but the most flagrant breaches of policy,
is futile .... and there is certainly no "illegality"

my 2p

steveb
Backyard Renegade

" georgebush wrote in message . ..
You know this is really illegal and unwarranted by a man of your
caliber - do we have to write your ISP and demand satisfaction.

Obviously you have not been around this group to understand the
tremendous amount of input Glenn donates here. This group is probably
one of the most focused unmonitored groups I attend. Glenn has a piece
of equipment that would be useful to a good percentage of the builders
here, and he is not trying to make a living selling custom
"binnacle's". Every time Glenn has one of these "ashtrays" (projects
that don't end up working but can not be thrown out), he usually
provides detailed information about the process, with circles and
arrows and a paragraph... so we don't have to make the same mistakes.
Personally, I don't see why a 1% spam ratio by a regular contributor
to a particular news group should raise any question at all. Just my
opinion.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

wrote:

Should have thought to mentioned it here first but I just listed a new
Globemaster SP-5C compass on eBay. After I built the binnacle with an
instrument pod I realized that it would be to high for easy viewing so I
bought a flush mount. One of you guys building a larger boat might
could use it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2441483 980

Brian D

I didn't know there was a ban on commercial advertising? Is that true?

My opinion is that I don't mind seeing commercial advertising now and then,
and I don't mind seeing notes about stuff on ebay either. As long as
someone is clearly not trying to make rec.boats.building a commercial
venture, then close is close enough. I like finding good deals and hearing
from others greatly expands the chance of that.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

wrote:
You know this is really illegal and unwarranted by a man of your
caliber - do we have to write your ISP and demand satisfaction.

I debated whether to mention the auction but decided that, while it may
fall into a grey area, it was probably appropriate. The charter does
prohibit advertising but we are a unique and relatively small group with
some rather unique needs. We also end up with surplus material that only
others in this group can use.

Because of design changes and over-purchases anyone building a large
boat will have some extra material that others in the group could use.
While I completely agree with the ban on commerical posting, prohibiting
an anouncement of the availability of this material eliminates some of
the value of this newsgroup.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at:
http://www.rutuonline.com

Chris

" georgebush wrote in message
You know this is really illegal and unwarranted by a man of your
caliber - do we have to write your ISP and demand satisfaction.

Wahh!! -sob- -whine-...

Someone went and offered an Ebay auction without consulting me first!!

-buries head in hands-

Oh the shock of it all.

;-)

This is a very self-serving post - the charter says no advertising -
it doesn't say no COMMERCIAL advertising - it says NO advertising -
period.

The rest of your statement is holier-than-thou justification.

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 06:06:14 -0500, Glenn Ashmore