Glenn Ashmore

Default Ritchie Globemaster on eBay

This peaked my interest. It took a little time to find it but Wiley is
right. The charter says nothing about for saale messages. While I
certainly do not believe anyone wants us to be flooded with commercial
messages being able to share our surplus could be an asset.

I don't feel guilty any more. Now let's end this thread and get on with
boat building.

BTW, anybody need a couple of 37 gallon Kracor poly fuel tanks? ;-)

Brian D wrote:

I'd vote for an amendment of the charter. Advertising not more than once a
month per individual or company. Sound good? Who owns the charter? I've
found lots of good deals and gotten good leads by seeing advertising here,
personal and otherwise. It's only a hassle if it gets carried away.

NOTE: It takes less time to click onto a new post than it does to respond to
an ad with anti-advertising complaints. Your time is valuable...use it
wisely

Brian

wrote in message

This is a very self-serving post - the charter says no advertising -
it doesn't say no COMMERCIAL advertising - it says NO advertising -
period.

The rest of your statement is holier-than-thou justification.

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 06:06:14 -0500, Glenn Ashmore

You know this is really illegal and unwarranted by a man of your
caliber - do we have to write your ISP and demand satisfaction.

I debated whether to mention the auction but decided that, while it may
fall into a grey area, it was probably appropriate. The charter does
prohibit advertising but we are a unique and relatively small group with
some rather unique needs. We also end up with surplus material that only
others in this group can use.

Because of design changes and over-purchases anyone building a large
boat will have some extra material that others in the group could use.
While I completely agree with the ban on commerical posting, prohibiting
an anouncement of the availability of this material eliminates some of
the value of this newsgroup.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Conlin

Brian D wrote:

I'd vote for an amendment of the charter. snip

Sounds good to me.
Jim
Conlin Boatworks

Backyard Renegade

"Brian D" wrote in message news:s5Wqb.142137$e01.477842@attbi_s02...
I'd vote for an amendment of the charter. Advertising not more than once a
month per individual or company. Sound good? Who owns the charter? I've
found lots of good deals and gotten good leads by seeing advertising here,
personal and otherwise. It's only a hassle if it gets carried away.

I think changing the charter is a rediculous idea! First of all, who
cares? I have never read, and never intend to read the charter. If
there is a charter, it was written last century and should be left in
the electronic box it is buried in. RBB is one of the best groups I
attend. We are self policing and very tolerant. Let's not let one lone
troll ruin a good thing, this guy is not even a bump in the road from
what I can see.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com

wrote in message
[...]

Diver

Default Ritchie Globemaster on eBay - Verdict -

Quiet in the court room, please.

Mr. Glenn Ashmore from Macon, Georgia, has been found
guilty of advertising in this news group the fact that
he is selling a Ritchie Globemaster compass on eBay.

Mr. Ashmore is sentenced to updating his web site situated
at http://www.rutuonline.com, which this high court found
to have suffered undue neglect during the past months.

The update of the said web site shall be comprehensive,
i.e. it shall encompass, but not be limited to, all
projects that have been finished or are under way in
connection with the construction of the 45' cutter Rutu.
Evidence for the existence of several such projects is
available to the court from this news group.

Furthermore, this high court rules that Mr. Ashmore, upon
comprehensive web site coverage of such projects, shall
have the right to announce the sale of any surplus
materials from said projects in this news group.

Appeals against this decision may be directed to /dev/nul.

The session is closed.

Judge Dread.

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Should have thought to mentioned it here first but I just listed a new
Globemaster SP-5C compass on eBay. After I built the binnacle with an
instrument pod I realized that it would be to high for easy viewing so I
bought a flush mount. One of you guys building a larger boat might
could use it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2441483 980

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Brian D

Glenn,

More info on the fuel tanks? Kracor's are pretty good. I'm planning on
custom aluminum for my particular application, but there may be several of
the other Tolman builders who may be interested. If you've got pix and
price, I'm happy to pass on the info.

Thanx,
Brian
or (Remove
the capital letters that mean 'no spam')

My project:
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

wrote in message

[...]

Glenn Ashmore

Brian D wrote:

Glenn,

More info on the fuel tanks? Kracor's are pretty good. I'm planning on
custom aluminum for my particular application, but there may be several of
the other Tolman builders who may be interested. If you've got pix and
price, I'm happy to pass on the info.

I checked the labels this afternoon. They are 36 gallon Kracor model #
88-7003. 14W x 31L x 20.5H. They have float type senders, unscreened
pickup tubes and anti-syphon hose connections. I installed them and
then had second thoughts about how high they made the center of gravity
of the fuel so pulled them out and ordered custom aluminum tanks from
Ezell.

I paid about $300 each for them but will entertain any reasonable offer.
What really surprised me was that the custom made aluminum tanks cost
only $50 a piece more.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Fred Williams

I hope you won't think this too off topic. Just pretend I'm talking about a
boat fuel tank and not the one off my antique John Deere.

I'm looking for information, opinions, tips and tricks as related to tank
repair short of replacing and or paying a shop to do the work, i.e.
do-it-yourself repair.

I'm considering JB Weld for the holes and cracks, then using one of the many
(open for favorites) liquid, normally three part, fuel tank repair kits.

I know it is a rule of Neptune that any tank on a boat will leak, not if,
when. So I know you guys have the experience.

Fred

Brian D wrote:

Glenn,

More info on the fuel tanks? Kracor's are pretty good. I'm planning

on
custom aluminum for my particular application, but there may be several

of

Glenn Ashmore

You might ask that question on rec.crafts.metalworking. Boat tanks have
their own set of problems but antique tractors have a completely
different set. When a boat's fuel tank starts leaking the best solution
for safety's sake is to rip it out reweld or replace it. You will
probably never find a replacement tank for an antique John Deer and a
poorly doe repair or fitting a new non-original one will seriously hurt
the value.

JB weld might be a temporary fix for small holds but it is not going to
stand up to the vibration on a crack. Better to pull and clean the tank
and send it to a restorer. He will weld or silver solder it and grind
the welds down. A neighbor is restoring a 1941 Indian Sport Scout and
asked me to weld up some holes in the tank. The tank was rusted beyond
anything I would have attempted to fix so I told him to send it off to
Moyer Fuel Tank Renu in Greensburg, PA. They split the tank, blasted it
inside and out, rebuilt the major deterioration and applied a
proprietary 3 coat baked on polymer system. It came back looking like
it had just come from the factory and I don't recall it being all that
expensive. Something like $250.

To keep this boat related: The also restore old outboard tanks if you
really want to fix up that old Seagull or Martin Silver streak. :-)

Brian D wrote:

Glenn,

More info on the fuel tanks? Kracor's are pretty good. I'm planning

on

custom aluminum for my particular application, but there may be several

of

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

Diver wrote:

[...]

Oh S*$&! I have to plead guilty. I will don my hair shirt and try to
serve some of my sentence this week. ;-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Fred Williams

Thanks Glenn! Just what I was looking for. I'll Check out the metalworing
group, I just hope I don't get to like it too much, my life doesn't have
room for another "interesting" news group :-(

Fred