steveb

Default Ritchie Globemaster on eBay

" lifted the trapdoor,
peered around and wrote:

This is a very self-serving post - the charter says no advertising -
it doesn't say no COMMERCIAL advertising - it says NO advertising -
period.

The rest of your statement is holier-than-thou justification.

Some people are just so friggin' self-satisfied

PLONK
Jim Woodward

Comments:

1) When one spends as much time on this group being helpful to others as
Glenn does, I'm willing to cut him considerable slack on the strict
interpretation of the rules. The intent of the rule is to prevent mass
posting by every Tom, Dick, and Harry that puts something up on e-Bay, not
helpful posts by our fellow denizens.

2) In that line, a Google search turns up thousands of posts from Glenn
over several years -- he's certainly a major force here. I also did a
similar search on each of the posters below, a record of zero and two.

3) Glenn has several times called the groups' attention to eBay auctions
where he was not the seller and has saved me several thousand dollars by so
doing. Losing that sort of information would take away a part of the value
of this group to me. He also occasionally mentions other special sources
which have saved me money. Such posts are entirely appropriate.

4) If anybody here takes this seriously, then the next time one of us wants
to sell something on eBay, send a note to another of us and have the
disinterested party call everyone's attention to it. Does that sound silly?
It should.

--
Jim Woodward
www.mvFintry.com

wrote in message
This is a very self-serving post - the charter says no advertising -
it doesn't say no COMMERCIAL advertising - it says NO advertising -
period.

The rest of your statement is holier-than-thou justification.

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 06:06:14 -0500, Glenn Ashmore

You know this is really illegal and unwarranted by a man of your
caliber - do we have to write your ISP and demand satisfaction.

I debated whether to mention the auction but decided that, while it may
fall into a grey area, it was probably appropriate. The charter does
prohibit advertising but we are a unique and relatively small group with

some rather unique needs. We also end up with surplus material that only
others in this group can use.

Because of design changes and over-purchases anyone building a large
boat will have some extra material that others in the group could use.
While I completely agree with the ban on commerical posting, prohibiting
an anouncement of the availability of this material eliminates some of
the value of this newsgroup.

Glenn Ashmore

Default PLEASE! DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE!

It is probably better that we just ignore this. The worst part about
"for sale" anouncements is the number of spam police messages and
control we may as well ask Jax and Capt N*^# for their opinion and
forget about boat building.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Backyard Renegade

Glenn Ashmore wrote in message news:3Yiqb.4673$62.1537@lakeread04...
Should have thought to mentioned it here first but I just listed a new
Globemaster SP-5C compass on eBay. After I built the binnacle with an
instrument pod I realized that it would be to high for easy viewing so I
bought a flush mount. One of you guys building a larger boat might
could use it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=2441483 980

Hey Glenn, next time try putting the ebay link in your sig file with
the spade anchor link... then this guy can go home and kick his cat!
BTW I sell, boats, kits, plans, and all kinds of other stuff at
SmallBoats.com! Please visit SmallBoats.com for more information on
how you can give me lot's of money for very little service, only
attitude. If you really want to get good glue, try Jaques over at
Bateau.com, or Larry over at Raka.com. Also Brian Dixon, sorry can't
remember the URL right now, but he sells glue too. These guys all use
the glue they sell, I like that, I have used Raka for years myself. If
you want Wood, try Condon Lumber in NY. Or if you are out on the
Island try Roberts Plywood, at http://www.getwood.com or Wood-Ply
Lumber in Freeport at woodply.com. For great plans for almost anything
contemporary try Bateau.com, Glenl.com or stevproj.com. I get my ring
nails at GlenL too. For spreading glue I use Ziplock freezer bags by
SC Johnson and Co. don't know their site either. For flotation I use
blue dock billett by Dow Chemical and near the engine or fuel, two
part by.... umm... oh later. Now for you my friend, when things go bad
I use crying towels by Scott Paper, recliner by lazyboy, scotch by
Dewars, and getting a grip, priceless...
Later, Scotty from SmallBoats.com.... The best damn small boat site on
the net!
Brian D

I'd vote for an amendment of the charter. Advertising not more than once a
month per individual or company. Sound good? Who owns the charter? I've
found lots of good deals and gotten good leads by seeing advertising here,
personal and otherwise. It's only a hassle if it gets carried away.

NOTE: It takes less time to click onto a new post than it does to respond to
an ad with anti-advertising complaints. Your time is valuable...use it
wisely

Brian

wrote in message
[...]

Brian D

Yeah, but only once a week when nobody's around.

"steveb" wrote in message
" lifted the trapdoor,
peered around and wrote:

This is a very self-serving post - the charter says no advertising -
it doesn't say no COMMERCIAL advertising - it says NO advertising -
period.

The rest of your statement is holier-than-thou justification.

Some people are just so friggin' self-satisfied

PLONK

Brian Whatcott

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 22:01:03 GMT, WaIIy
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:44:56 -0800, "
wrote:

This is a very self-serving post - the charter says no advertising -
it doesn't say no COMMERCIAL advertising - it says NO advertising -
period.

You're a nut case.

Much ado about absolutely nothing whatsoever.

I don't think so. Anonymous posters who send inflammatory notes
are called "trolls". They are not necessarily nutty - just malicious.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Brian D

It's a nice compass that Glenn's selling ...too bad I also need a flush
mount for my boat project. Thanks for letting us know about the compass,
Glenn. Nice heads up. Hope you sell it without delay. Somebody will
appreciate it.

Brian

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Jim Woodward" jameslwoodward at attbi dot com wrote in message
[...]

..
wrote in message
[...]

Brian D

Since you asked, Scotty, my URL is
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/catalog . Check our prices against RAKA
....you might like them. We also carry paint, adhesives, fillers, epoxy
pumps by Michael Engineering ...lots of stuff, all discount prices too, more
stuff coming. Accurate shipping calcs, not block rates. We aim to save you
money... meet or beat pricing. Now, how's that Pussy-Cow song go? Stop on
by and I'll ride a leopard before I'd let you get away without a good deal!
Call me Cal! Cal Wortybuns!

Brian

PS: My genuine apologies folks. Ad is real. So are the jokes.

--
My boat project: http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"Backyard Renegade" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Glen

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 23:42:16 GMT, "Brian D"
tempted fate with:

I'd vote for an amendment of the charter. Advertising not more than once a
month per individual or company. Sound good? Who owns the charter? I've
found lots of good deals and gotten good leads by seeing advertising here,
personal and otherwise. It's only a hassle if it gets carried away.

I went to the trouble to check the "official" charter in the uunet
control messages and the newusers ftp archive. I actually saw nothing
about advertising, pro or con, which is a bit unusual. This is the
charter as voted on at the groups formation. I am not familiar with
any procedure for modifying it. The few times I've seen an attempt to
modify a charter it got pretty acrimonious, since every persons
opinion about how to do it is as good as another's. Still, it seems
generally accepted that having a call for discussion followed by a 2/3
majority vote by anyone who cares enough to participate is fair. In
order to make it stick, someone needs to post the new charter at
regular intervals, and provide a homepage for it.

Disclosu I almost have a horse in this race. I occasionally post
an advertisement in a couple of groups under an "Announce" header when
I release a product. I would never purposefully do this in a group
that does not *explicitly* allow it, but whether it is "legal" is a
matter of opinion. The most important opinion, of course, is that of
the poster. Many people seem to feel that it is a netiquette
violation, but falls short of abuse.

All that said, coming down on a regular and valuable contributor for
letting the community know that an on-topic item is available is nuts.
In my opinion (see above.)

Returning to lurk mode;

Glen "Wiley" Wilson usenet1 SPAMNIX at worldwidewiley dot com
To reply, lose the capitals and do the obvious.

Take a look at cpRepeater, my NMEA data integrator, repeater, and
logger at http://www.worldwidewiley.com/