Terry Spragg

Default Making fiberglass not slippery

John Smith wrote:

I am putting some fiberglass/epoxy on the floor of my shower (okay, it is a
little off topic, but I could have said my boat deck...) and I want to be
sure it is not slippery. I was thinking about sprinkling some sand on it
before it is totally set. Does that make sense, or is there a better way?

Thanks.

(the shower floor flexes a little too much, and I am afraid it will crack. I
would rather fiberglass it before it cracks than after.)

When I retopped my veranda deck, the wife sprinkled a little
antiskid sand in the wet urethane paint between coats. After a
winter of snow scraping, it is still doing what it does best,
gripping snowy boots in the winter as well as wet bare feet in
the summer.

No low relief, comfortable, bare foot antiskid will protect
against hydroplaning, once it starts. The sand only tickles bare
feet that need more beach time.
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Brian Nystrom

John Smith wrote:

I am putting some fiberglass/epoxy on the floor of my shower (okay, it is a
little off topic, but I could have said my boat deck...) and I want to be
sure it is not slippery. I was thinking about sprinkling some sand on it
before it is totally set. Does that make sense, or is there a better way?

Sprinkle salt or sugar on it while it's wet, they hose it off after it dries.
The salt/sugar will dissolve away, leaving a finely textured surface that won't
show sand as it wears. For a coaser texture, use rock salt.

--
Regards

Brian

Terry Spragg

Brian Nystrom wrote:

John Smith wrote:

I am putting some fiberglass/epoxy on the floor of my shower (okay, it is a
little off topic, but I could have said my boat deck...) and I want to be
sure it is not slippery. I was thinking about sprinkling some sand on it
before it is totally set. Does that make sense, or is there a better way?

Sprinkle salt or sugar on it while it's wet, they hose it off after it dries.
The salt/sugar will dissolve away, leaving a finely textured surface that won't
show sand as it wears. For a coaser texture, use rock salt.

--

If you wash away the salt, there will remain little pits in the
paint which will trap dirt, which will look worse than if you

While Paul Simon sings about "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes"
how many have eyes on the soles of their feet, and who cares what
the deck looks like, so long as it isn't slippery?

--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is
specifically denied for mass mailing and unrequested
solicitations. Reproduction or conveyance for any unauthorised
purpose is THEFT and PLAGIARISM. Abuse is Invasion of privacy
and harassment. Abusers may be prosecuted. -This notice footer
released to public domain. Spamspoof salad by spamchock -
SofDevCo

Paul Oman

John Smith wrote:

I am putting some fiberglass/epoxy on the floor of my shower (okay, it is a
little off topic, but I could have said my boat deck...) and I want to be
sure it is not slippery. I was thinking about sprinkling some sand on it
before it is totally set. Does that make sense, or is there a better way?

Thanks.

(the shower floor flexes a little too much, and I am afraid it will crack. I
would rather fiberglass it before it cracks than after.)

------------

Apply epoxy - then cover completely with sugar or salt. Let epoxy set. Then wash
- dissolve the sugar/salt

paul

PAUL OMAN ----- Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.
Frog Pond Hollow - 48 Wildwood Dr - Pittsfield NH 03263
603-435-7199 FAX 603-435-7182 VISA/MC/Discover
http://www.epoxyproducts.com
Boating site: http://www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

Don't do this - it makes it toooooooo hard to clean. Put a few stick
on grip strips down. You'll never get the soap scum, oil, etc out of
the salt'sugar holes.

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:37:02 GMT, Paul Oman
wrote:

John Smith wrote:

I am putting some fiberglass/epoxy on the floor of my shower (okay, it is a
little off topic, but I could have said my boat deck...) and I want to be
sure it is not slippery. I was thinking about sprinkling some sand on it
before it is totally set. Does that make sense, or is there a better way?

Thanks.

(the shower floor flexes a little too much, and I am afraid it will crack. I
would rather fiberglass it before it cracks than after.)

------------

Apply epoxy - then cover completely with sugar or salt. Let epoxy set. Then wash
- dissolve the sugar/salt

paul

Old Nick

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:37:02 GMT, Paul Oman
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Problem. You leave pits. Minimal slip-resistance. Max clean problems.

Either add sand or use the effect tyatn I was taught onboat decks. Lay
out resin/filler. Dab with a cheap scrubbing brush to create raised
"loops" of resin. Sand to a random stippled finish. Paint with
non-slip paint (has sand in it!!) Magic.

John Smith wrote:

I am putting some fiberglass/epoxy on the floor of my shower (okay, it is a
little off topic, but I could have said my boat deck...) and I want to be
sure it is not slippery. I was thinking about sprinkling some sand on it
before it is totally set. Does that make sense, or is there a better way?

Thanks.

(the shower floor flexes a little too much, and I am afraid it will crack. I
would rather fiberglass it before it cracks than after.)

------------

Apply epoxy - then cover completely with sugar or salt. Let epoxy set. Then wash
- dissolve the sugar/salt

paul

************************************************** ****************************************
Until I do the other one,this one means nothing
Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

d b

Get a heavy textured natural lambs wool roller and apply the final gel
coat with that, it will leave you a nice slip resistant shower base
that is "pebbled", not holes and not sharp like sand. You can find
lambs wool rollers at most any paint store, even Home Depot.