Terry Cano

Default Where can I find info?

I'm selling the VW project car and building a boat...nothing special
I would like to build a 10 + ft Sail Boat suitable for the larger lakes
around
Southern Cal. I have no desire to keep up with Jet Skiers so a few knots is
plenty
I'm considering a Lee Board as opposed to CB...why? Different and better for
shallow draft I figure
here's the big question I'm 310 Lbs with my wife 460 Lbs and want to figure
out the weight capacity is there a formula
Terry

Dazed and Confuzed

Terry Cano wrote:

I'm selling the VW project car and building a boat...nothing special
I would like to build a 10 + ft Sail Boat suitable for the larger lakes
around
Southern Cal. I have no desire to keep up with Jet Skiers so a few knots is
plenty
I'm considering a Lee Board as opposed to CB...why? Different and better for
shallow draft I figure
here's the big question I'm 310 Lbs with my wife 460 Lbs and want to figure
out the weight capacity is there a formula
Terry

water weighs 62.4 lbs per cu ft. Displace more than that and you float, less
and you sink.

--
I'd rather put more life in my days than put more days in my life......

Andrew Butchart

"Dazed and Confuzed" wrote in message
Terry Cano wrote:

[...]

The rule of thumb that I use myself for "safe" capacity on a boat is to use
1/3 of that. Presuming that you and your wife are not seasoned small boat
sailors, you would also be wanting to look for a very stable boat, perhaps
with some ballast attached and/or a lot of beam so that you don't flip over
in the first gust that you don't react fast enough to. Perhaps at least
19ft long and 7ft of beam? There's a bunch of designs out there of about
that size.

Perhaps one of the Bolger or Michalak designs with a bird-watcher cabin on
it might be a good choice.

--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.abutchartconsulting.com/sailing/ - The Floating Bear

P.C.

Hi

"Terry Cano" skrev i en meddelelse
.. .

I'm selling the VW project car and building a boat...nothing special
I would like to build a 10 + ft Sail Boat suitable for the larger lakes
around
Southern Cal. I have no desire to keep up with Jet Skiers so a few knots is
plenty
I'm considering a Lee Board as opposed to CB...why? Different and better for
shallow draft I figure
here's the big question I'm 310 Lbs with my wife 460 Lbs and want to figure
out the weight capacity is there a formula
Terry

Why buckle and fiddle, when you can cut strait from the lines on full-scale
plans you spray glye directly to the same Ply you use for other cheap boats, to
form the assembly framework in perfect precision, aplying the frames in an
interlocking honeycomb structure, where the othervise 6 sided cubes is made more
than 20 pct. with only four sides to form a cube.
Honeycomb don't need to be hex, and formed in perfection, by two planes you
could even decide for a beetle as a thick honeycomb shell, with inner exact fit
to the rust hump, looking like a Cadilac on the outside, with 3D-H .
check this site, where you free can download the full set of CAD drawings, from
3D model into generated assembly framwork making you wonder, why even a boat,
when everyone can generate a 3D-H for planes, boats highrise and a promise of a
bright future.
Check this aincient Cyber-Boat documented many places on the web, the perfect
boat for a lazy amature boatbuilder.
When you se how well performing the Cyber-Boat Longboat, then you can start
wondering why Longboats shuld be any special, ------- this one or rather this
thusand different sizes, you can scale eqiualy XYZ without this effecting the
unfolded exact panels form, ------- acturly the 3D-H was made from the 3D-Moden
and could bring you a steel sheet garden cristmess dwarf, ----------- Anyway
check the site, and know that this is as easy as it say's, then it's four times
as strong as build with the methods different from those of a tradisional
builder, but today an assembly framework provide whatever, 3D-H form the exact
framework ready for paneling, very accurate projected even as forming the
interiors , --------- you will find that building a hull is nothing, compared
putting the right interiour in 3D-H also help here, as this will form framework
wherever needed.
The Longboat serie is avaible as free download, DWG files ;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cyber-Boat/
Or go directly to the Cyber-Boat 5Meter Longboat, --------- it's 5 meter ling,
but you are free to scale it equaly into a monster of an ocean Racer, my foult
it is four times as strong ,cost a third, uses computers and can build you a
Cabin in assembly cheap steel sheets a tenthes the cost of a lumber cotteage,
and it even would be inviroment neutral oposed that forrest lumber )

Sorry the interuption, but being a boatbuilder myself, I alway's wondered the
trouble others seem to have with building boats, Ok I had my own software and
invested myself every time a new CAD idear produced profit, but it make it even
a bigger joke, that metal end kits, where you acturly build a wonder of a
craftman's masterpiece by having the most difficult part anyway, produces
seperatly to ease the actural building, Ban enough Petrochemic had already then
made it's own Hero's and great vessels is build, but don't forget, that we now
is Digital minded, rather than by analog aproach.
If you want a Trawler, you must be an Idiot not to be able to project the
cutting of the actural assemblies, with a CAD program, but if you want to be
this clever, don't chose what made the Pyramides , Check the 5 Meter Longboat,
all full scale shuld be there , plot the DWG drawings from a cheap print shop ,
glue the plans onto Water prove Chipwood or Plywood , experience that 3D-H is
very different than the buckle you experience with a load of tradisional
designs, or check an aincient Cyber-Boat site, to se a few other , but
tradisional design even a true lapstrake 3D Model unfolded into boat
lanks, ---------- a Lapstrake computer model )
http://w1.1396.telia.com/~u139600113/

P.C.
Sig under construction
She'll be back!
P.C.
http://www.designcommunity.com/scrapbook/2575.html

Backyard Renegade

"Terry Cano" wrote in message ...
I'm selling the VW project car and building a boat...nothing special
I would like to build a 10 + ft Sail Boat suitable for the larger lakes
around
Southern Cal. I have no desire to keep up with Jet Skiers so a few knots is
plenty
I'm considering a Lee Board as opposed to CB...why? Different and better for
shallow draft I figure
here's the big question I'm 310 Lbs with my wife 460 Lbs and want to figure
out the weight capacity is there a formula
Terry

You will have to build a boat at least 16 feet for that kind of load
to do anything at all safely, if you want a boat that will handle both
of you, you should really look at something about 20 feet...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com... lot's of ten foot boats, I would not
sell you one with what you intend as the use and load...

Fred Williams

Oh No! He's back at it again! :-)

Once a husler always a husler I suspose...

"P.C." wrote in message
k...
Hi

"Backyard Renegade" skrev i en meddelelse
m...
"Terry Cano" wrote in message

You will have to build a boat at least 16 feet for that kind of load
to do anything at all safely, if you want a boat that will handle both
of you, you should really look at something about 20 feet...
Scotty from SmallBoats.com... lot's of ten foot boats, I would not
sell you one with what you intend as the use and load...

You are quite right, then when rigging any round 20 feet hull, it's a good

idear
to know before, what rig will fit this size of boat.
A sailboard sail, and mast is no bad choice and these rigs is very

effective ,
but if these, round max 9 -10 sq meter sails , is not enough then there

are
other standard rigs that you can get new or second hand , --------- 20

feet is a
nice size for a sail dinghie, esp. modern style , that beside is very much
easyer to build than the old types.
The Cyber-Boat 5Meter Longboat can be scaled any size and paneled all way

round
with deck above water acturly a very modern boat, compared the age of the

design
P.C.

Joseph Stachyra

is this posting a JOKE.....
look the guy says he is 310lbs, and his wife is 460.
and wants to build a 10ft sail boat for them.
I don't think, it will float.......
my 135horse power Mercury optimax is only 443lbs
and it Cracked my Transom on a 18ft boat from the weight. Where is that
guy going with a 460pound wife.----- I think, you need to build a "Ship"
at least 28 feet to handle the load........ is this posting for real. if
it is "Weight Reduction" is the answer

Stephen Baker

Joseph Stachyra says:

is this posting a JOKE.....

I don't think so. But you better hope he doesn't find out what part of
Tunkhannock you hail from.......
I know it's not "cool" to be PC any more, but it is still rude to poke fun at
folks' weights.

Steve
Terry Cano

Sorry I guess the post wasn't clear.
..... she doesn't weigh 460 lbs....between the two of us
there is 460 lbs total load. I couldn't understand why all where suggesting
such a big boat.
I'm thinking something between 10 to 12 ft. Beam 4' plus. Heck I'll settle
for oars, she's strong.
Just kidding The lakes here in so cal are fairly calm, winds can be
unpredictable though.

Terry

Ron Magen

Steve,
Maybe not a joke, but if this guy is for real . . SOMEBODY has to get
through to him about REALITY.

I've seen people who have no concept of physics, or common sense, over load
a small boat BEYOND 'dangerous'. It's one thing when they are rather fit
people & their kids . . . there is the possibility of survival re-boarding a
flipped or swamped boat.

On the other hand, I helped a gentleman get his wife aboard a 20 ft. {or so}
powerboat . . when she went over the side AT THE DOCK. She was TWICE his
size, and he was of average fitness & size. I helped by showing & telling
him WHAT and HOW to do it. Although he had already gone into the water
{leaving two small children aboard} he could NEVER have pushed her aboard.
If it had happened 'in a seaway' or out on the Delaware {with it's 6-7 knot
current} they would probably BOTH have drowned. NEITHER was wearing a PFD.

Whether they ever purchased, or made, the emergency rope 'ladder' {I used an
extra dock-line}, I don't know. Hopefully the experience stuck with them. I
DID give them a stern 'safety lecture'.

As to their feelings; several days later we went to check on our P-19, there
was a nice bottle of wine, with a bow around the neck, sitting under the
cockpit cover.

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop