Denis Roy

Default Where can I find Sea Ray specs?

I bought a 1988 Sea Ray Seville. It's supposedly 17 foot but measuring down
one side, following the curve, I get 18 feet. I really need to know the
weight of this unit, with its factory installed 100 HP outboard, to know if
it's within the towing limits of my Venture van. I have been unable to find
this info on the net.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to get this info, other than stopping
at a roadside weigh scale and unhitching it on the scale?

--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft

Gould 0738

Go to the Sea Ray website, and see what a similar new boat weighs. Add 20 to
25% to be safe, and then compare to your towing specs. Hopefully, you'll still
have some slack.

(LOA is measured down the centerline, not around the curve of the hull. Even
then, it's just approximate. I just wrote a review of a 49' Boat that's really
54' long)

Paul Schilter

Denis,
Try he
http://www.searay.com/index.asp?disp...%20and%20below
Paul

"Denis Roy" wrote in message
I bought a 1988 Sea Ray Seville. It's supposedly 17 foot but measuring

down
one side, following the curve, I get 18 feet. I really need to know the
weight of this unit, with its factory installed 100 HP outboard, to know

if
it's within the towing limits of my Venture van. I have been unable to

find
this info on the net.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to get this info, other than stopping
at a roadside weigh scale and unhitching it on the scale?

--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft
www.ideasinwood.com

Denis Roy

Thanks for your suggestions. It never occurred to me to try Searay.com.
Duh!
They give dry weight of just over 1500 lbs. Although the 100 hp "searay"
motor is in the spec sheet, they don't say if that weight includes it. I
estimate the trailer to be another 500 lbs.

--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft
"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
Denis,
Try he

http://www.searay.com/index.asp?disp...&folder2 =26%
20feet%20and%20below
Paul

"Denis Roy" wrote in message
I bought a 1988 Sea Ray Seville. It's supposedly 17 foot but measuring

down
one side, following the curve, I get 18 feet. I really need to know the
weight of this unit, with its factory installed 100 HP outboard, to know

if
it's within the towing limits of my Venture van. I have been unable to

find
this info on the net.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to get this info, other than

stopping
at a roadside weigh scale and unhitching it on the scale?

--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft
www.ideasinwood.com

Dan Krueger

Your van is rated for 3500# with the trailer package. The motor is about 350# -
I really doubt that is included in the dry weight in the spec sheets. The
trailer is probably close at 500#. Add 6# per gallon for fuel (120#) and
another 200# for "stuff" and you will probably arrive at number close to 2800#.

Looks safe to me.

Dan

"Denis Roy" wrote in message

I bought a 1988 Sea Ray Seville. It's supposedly 17 foot but measuring

down

one side, following the curve, I get 18 feet. I really need to know the
weight of this unit, with its factory installed 100 HP outboard, to know

if

it's within the towing limits of my Venture van. I have been unable to

find

this info on the net.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to get this info, other than

stopping

at a roadside weigh scale and unhitching it on the scale?

--
Denis Roy
D. Roy Woodcraft
www.ideasinwood.com

Coff

"Denis Roy" wrote in message news:b3Wqc.540747$Ig.109502@pd7tw2no...
I bought a 1988 Sea Ray Seville. It's supposedly 17 foot but measuring down
one side, following the curve, I get 18 feet. I really need to know the
weight of this unit, with its factory installed 100 HP outboard, to know if
it's within the towing limits of my Venture van. I have been unable to find
this info on the net.
Anyone have any suggestions on where to get this info, other than stopping
at a roadside weigh scale and unhitching it on the scale?

I would take every boat I ever trailered, fill it with equipment and
fuel, and stop at my local truck stop out on the interstate (NOT the
Department of Transportation weigh scales). I would let the attendant
know that I wanted to drop the boat on the scale, pull away and get
the weight, hitch up and get the gross weight. It would cost me
$6.00, and the weight was ALWAYS significantly heavier that I had
anticipated.

Good luck.

Coff
Peggie Hall

Denis Roy wrote:
I bought a 1988 Sea Ray Seville. It's supposedly 17 foot but measuring down
one side, following the curve, I get 18 feet.

That's not how a boat length is measured. The legal LOA ("length
overall") is straight line measured over the centerline from the
foremost point on the hull (not the deck), excluding any pulpits or
bumpkins, to the aftmost point on the hull, excluding any motormounts or
other attachments.

Dry weight does not include outboard motors or outdrives--but does
include inboard engine(s), electronics, fuel, water, toilets, holding
tanks, generators, or anything else that's not part of the "base" boat.
Nor does it include coolers and all the other junk people take along
that can easily add another 100 lbs or more.

I really need to know the
weight of this unit, with its factory installed 100 HP outboard, to know if
it's within the towing limits of my Venture van.

You also need to take into account extra weight IN your van, including
people and all their junk.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get this info, other than stopping
at a roadside weigh scale and unhitching it on the scale?

If you know the weight of the van--which should be in your owners
manual--and the trailer, you shouldn't have to unhitch it...just
subtract 'em from the total weight.

--
Peggie