Default Need ring gear or specs for 1995 PCM 5.8 Pro Boss

HELP!

Thought I had a bad starter, but upon removal found two teeth sheared from
the ring gear. No local PCM dealer, but a local marina says that the PCM
ring gear is no longer available as a separate part, but only with the
flywheel assembly.

Any difference between the automotive and marine ring gear? I have found
the automotive equivalent for $20 (164 tooth for a 351W) vs. $375 for a
flywheel with ring gear. I have to make sure pin location/diameter/tooth
count is the same and there are no "special treatments" to be concerned
with. I'll also need to count the teeth on the existing flywheel, plus two
: if no one out there has the specs. Not hard, but not easy with three
kids under five yrs either...

Any recommendations?

TIA,

Matt

Bill

You can use an automotive ring gear. The diameter of the flywheel will
determine the # of teeth, no need to count. Most transmission shops can swap
the ring gear for about $20. I just did two of them myself.

Bill
[...]

Reg

Go get the automotive equivalent, preferably from a parts place that
will fit it onto your old flywheel.
Perhaps more importantly, find out WHY you've lost teeth - e.g.
starter not mounted properly.
If you want to do it yourself you can play around with putting the ring
gear in the oven and the flywheel in the freezer, be sure there are
THREE solid reference points supporting the flywheel at it's edge.
Make sure the ring gear drops to each of these pads, you have a few
seconds to get it straight, but only a few. The old one can be broken
off with a cold chisel.

Wear safety glasses, use oven mitts, don't do this unless you're
confident about it - pay $20/25 to a pro instead.

\R

" wrote:

HELP!

Thought I had a bad starter, but upon removal found two teeth sheared from
the ring gear. No local PCM dealer, but a local marina says that the PCM
ring gear is no longer available as a separate part, but only with the
flywheel assembly.

Any difference between the automotive and marine ring gear? I have found
the automotive equivalent for $20 (164 tooth for a 351W) vs. $375 for a
flywheel with ring gear. I have to make sure pin location/diameter/tooth
count is the same and there are no "special treatments" to be concerned
with. I'll also need to count the teeth on the existing flywheel, plus two
: if no one out there has the specs. Not hard, but not easy with three
kids under five yrs either...

Any recommendations?

TIA,

Matt

Calif Bill

Check your starter solenoid. Mine would decide to engage the starter at
3-4000 rpm. Take the flywheel to an good auto parts house. they can match
up the ring gear. Mine, I took the ring gear to a automotive Machine shop
and paid $15 for them to install the gear. Was off like a 1976 Mustang for
the listing. Can be a 164 tooth or a 157 tooth. Both were available on the
engine according to my parts book. For pully's etc they were marine engine
only and have to go the a marine supplier, but the ring gear is local. For
parts for the engine, Red Line Marine in Lewiston, ID is a Ford Marine parts
supplier. They UPS.
Bill

" wrote in
message news:BZ_Oa.20617$H17.6368@sccrnsc02...
[...]

Default Fellow gearheads... Why ring gear failure on '95 PCM 5.8?

See previous thread way below...

I've got to let the shop do it, and pray they get it right. Though my time
won't allow it, it's what I'd prefer.

What WOULD cause the gear to fail?

I was hoping that it was just a matter of metallurgy. Perhaps Ford/PCM
outsourced ring gear manufacture to Alfa Romeo? ; ) Other teeth on the
ring gear and the starter gear teeth look normal.

The boat (95 MB Sports Boss 190 w/ 5.8-351 PCM ProBoss) has only about 200
hours and the starter looked to be original, though hard to be sure.
Starter was seated properly, and seemed to be properly torqued (needed my
impact wrench to remove in order to avoid busted knuckles)

I'd only had the boat out four times, so it's certainly possible that the
problem was pre-existing. I might even be able to keep a wrench on board
and make it through the rest of the season (just turn it over by hand two
degrees or so if it hits the toothless part of the gear)

I had the drivetrain checked by a marina prior to purchase. Compression,
plugs, etc. were fine. Was occasionally a hard starter in that it sometimes
"acted" like it was laboring to start. Sometimes engaging the starter would
fail to turn over the engine, even when the engine was fully warmed up. I
attributed the problem to a high compression engine and a five year old
battery, which I then replaced.

Any thoughts on ring gear failure???

Thanks!

Matt