Harry Krause

Default Towing Specs for Used Trucks?

Looking for a resource that lists, among other things, towing specs for
used trucks or larger SUVs...

I've tried KBB and one or two other suchlikes, but no luck. I'm looking
for a decent mid 1990s vehicle that can tow 8000 pounds on a trailer
fairly short distances...maybe 25 miles one way. I know about Chevy
Suburbans...but I'd really prefer an older pick-me-up.

Might anyone suggest an on-line site that displays these capacities?

Thanks!

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 18:52:39 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Looking for a resource that lists, among other things, towing specs for
used trucks or larger SUVs...

I've tried KBB and one or two other suchlikes, but no luck. I'm looking
for a decent mid 1990s vehicle that can tow 8000 pounds on a trailer
fairly short distances...maybe 25 miles one way. I know about Chevy
Suburbans...but I'd really prefer an older pick-me-up.

Might anyone suggest an on-line site that displays these capacities?

Thanks!

That's an interesting question. I found this years ago when I was
getting my third F-350 diesel. All the othe sites I had archived have
disappeared into the Lost Terrority of Cyberspace.

http://www.swcp.com/pcaskey/ford-towing.html

Minimum would be something in the 250/2500 class, best would be in the
350/3500 class.

I'll keep looking.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I don't tow my Parker far or often, and, at the moment, I am
almost truckless. I do have use for a pickup for the farm and yard and
for the occasional "tow job," but I certainly do not need a new, $40,000
pick-me-up truck.

John H

wrote:

Looking for a resource that lists, among other things, towing specs for
used trucks or larger SUVs...

I've tried KBB and one or two other suchlikes, but no luck. I'm looking
for a decent mid 1990s vehicle that can tow 8000 pounds on a trailer
fairly short distances...maybe 25 miles one way. I know about Chevy
Suburbans...but I'd really prefer an older pick-me-up.

Might anyone suggest an on-line site that displays these capacities?

Thanks!

Go here and click on towing capacity for the GMC trucks.

http://www.gmc.com/gmcjsp/sierra/ind...&location=tnav

Good luck.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Harry Krause

wrote:

Looking for a resource that lists, among other things, towing specs for
used trucks or larger SUVs...

I've tried KBB and one or two other suchlikes, but no luck. I'm looking
for a decent mid 1990s vehicle that can tow 8000 pounds on a trailer
fairly short distances...maybe 25 miles one way. I know about Chevy
Suburbans...but I'd really prefer an older pick-me-up.

Might anyone suggest an on-line site that displays these capacities?

Thanks!

Go here and click on towing capacity for the GMC trucks.

http://www.gmc.com/gmcjsp/sierra/ind...&location=tnav

Good luck.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Thanks, but those are new trucks...

John H

wrote:

Looking for a resource that lists, among other things, towing specs for
used trucks or larger SUVs...

I've tried KBB and one or two other suchlikes, but no luck. I'm looking
for a decent mid 1990s vehicle that can tow 8000 pounds on a trailer
fairly short distances...maybe 25 miles one way. I know about Chevy
Suburbans...but I'd really prefer an older pick-me-up.

Might anyone suggest an on-line site that displays these capacities?

Thanks!

Go here and click on towing capacity for the GMC trucks.

http://www.gmc.com/gmcjsp/sierra/ind...&location=tnav

Good luck.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Thanks, but those are new trucks...

So buy a new truck. But, buy American this time so you don't send more
jobs overseas.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!
Short Wave Sportfishing

wrote:

[...]

What the hell - you only live once and it's only money. :)

Just guessing but a good pickup in that class will run in the vicinity
of 10/13 grand.

If it's only to occasionally tow, look around for an older Ford or
Chevy - one with one of those big block 500+ CUI engines. ;)

One of the best F-350s I've ever owned had the 564 CUI engine in it.
Talk about a gas hog - twin 650 CFM four barrel Holleys and when all
eight carb barrels opened up you could actually watch the gas gage go
down. Ok, slight exaggeration, but still. :)

Talk about tow power - that truck pulled a stump out of the ground in
back of my barn in one shot. And it weren't no small stump either - I
thought I was going to have to borrow a dozer from the farmer down the
road.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Do fishermen eat avocados? This is a question
that no one ever thinks to ask."

Russel Chatham, "Dark Waters" (1988)

Harry Krause

wrote:

[...]

Uh, I'm having the basement finished in a house I built last year.

Just guessing but a good pickup in that class will run in the vicinity
of 10/13 grand.

That's what I'm looking for, price-wise. I know of a Cadillac Escalade
pickup truck auction coming up soon. It's a little light in the tow
capacity, but not much, and for reasons I won't go into here, the price
may be right. We'll see.

Harry Krause

John H wrote:

Thanks, but those are new trucks...

So buy a new truck. But, buy American this time so you don't send more
jobs overseas.

John H

I don't want or need a new truck.