Tim

Default 1967 Cherokee Boat - Where can I find info on it?

Just acquired a 1967 Cherokee 14ft aluminum boat with 40hp evinrude,
but I cannot find any information on this.

Anyone know where to look or who to contact? Anyone have any vendor
literature?
Anything?

Tim

Finding information for the motor is the easy part with lots of online
resources, local dealers and a manual. That is why I am not asking
about the motor. What I do not have info on is the boat itself. Why I
would like more information:

1. To verify that what I have is truely a 1967 Cherokee. There is no
MIC or VIN or past information on the boat for registration purposes
with the state. The previous owner passed so have no previous
registrations to fall on. Boat is currently registered as a
Crestliner, but that is incorrect. I just want to know and verify what
I have and correct the registration and possibly figure out the
correct MIC.

2. I am insterested in replacing parts and restoring it. Would like to
find literature on this boat, but cannot find anything or photos to
compare.

Tim
Gould 0738

1. To verify that what I have is truely a 1967 Cherokee. There is no
MIC or VIN or past information on the boat for registration purposes
with the state.

Not unusual with a boat almost 40 years old.

HIN, (boat equivalent of VIN) was not in place back then, either.

I just want to know and verify what
I have and correct the registration and possibly figure out the
correct MIC.

Just treat the boat as personal property, (like used furniture) but pay your
annual tabs based on the
info the state has. Even if it isn't corrrect, you will probably get either no
response or a hostile response from the state if you ask them to dig into this.
The records probably don't go back that far, and the boat may have arrived from
out of state.

As far as the Crestliner notation goes, maybe Crestliner bought the parent
company of Cherokee?

If you are willing to accept the current state documents as proof of ownership,
all you need to do is find somebody else willing to accept them when you sell.

2. I am insterested in replacing parts and restoring it. Would like to
find literature on this boat, but cannot find anything or photos to
compare.

Ranger Boat company had a series of boats called "Cherokee" in the 60's. Maybe
not at all what you've got, but it might be a place to start.
trainfan1

Tim wrote:
Finding information for the motor is the easy part with lots of online
resources, local dealers and a manual. That is why I am not asking
about the motor. What I do not have info on is the boat itself. Why I
would like more information:

1. To verify that what I have is truely a 1967 Cherokee. There is no
MIC or VIN or past information on the boat for registration purposes
with the state.

Check the major corners/joints/castings & all areas of the transom & bow
for a serial number / HIN. They were frequently stamped into these
pieces on aluminum boats, often by hand, and lightly.

Conversely, they also often had the serial numbers on a builder's plate
tacked/nailed/riveted onto a wood portion of the transom assembly. Look
to see if a small rectangular area of the wood is not as faded as the
rest... they usually have fallen off long ago.

Your boat looks more like a '50s design than '60s.

Rob