Andrew Butchart

Default Where can I find info?

"Dazed and Confuzed" wrote in message
Terry Cano wrote:

I'm selling the VW project car and building a boat...nothing special
I would like to build a 10 + ft Sail Boat suitable for the larger lakes
around
Southern Cal. I have no desire to keep up with Jet Skiers so a few knots

is
plenty
I'm considering a Lee Board as opposed to CB...why? Different and better

for
shallow draft I figure
here's the big question I'm 310 Lbs with my wife 460 Lbs and want to

figure
out the weight capacity is there a formula
Terry

water weighs 62.4 lbs per cu ft. Displace more than that and you float,

less
and you sink.

--
I'd rather put more life in my days than put more days in my life......

The rule of thumb that I use myself for "safe" capacity on a boat is to use
1/3 of that. Presuming that you and your wife are not seasoned small boat
sailors, you would also be wanting to look for a very stable boat, perhaps
with some ballast attached and/or a lot of beam so that you don't flip over
in the first gust that you don't react fast enough to. Perhaps at least
19ft long and 7ft of beam? There's a bunch of designs out there of about
that size.

Perhaps one of the Bolger or Michalak designs with a bird-watcher cabin on
it might be a good choice.

--
Andrew Butchart

http://www.abutchartconsulting.com/sailing/ - The Floating Bear