pete

Thanks guys,

all very helpful, and I suppose I should have just gone and had a look
at the formica site myself.

Damn shame about the plywood recommendations; I'm laminating a
bulkhead for the heads and I wanted a smooth light cleanable finish as
there is not much light in that area. Still, I'm going to take a
chance on that.

As for contact adhesive, I stopped using that stuff about twenty years
ago because it is slow and dirty to use, and doesn't bond as well as
PVA glues anyway. PVA would not be any use in this situation .

Interesting about the grain, I never knew about that and I have been
using the stuff for years

Thanks again

pete
Mungo Bulge

Put this in your veneer press:
Plywood substrate, wet out with epoxy, snapshots of friends and
family, old newspaper clippings, etc. 6 oz fibreglass cloth, wet out
with WEST SYSTEM 105 Resin and 207 Special Coating Hardener, cover
with a sheet of Formica sprayed with mould release, When it cures, you
will have a montage that is significant, and the texture of Formica
all on a stable substrate. Don't use too much pressure, (10 psi)
Just a thought.

"pete" wrote in message
| Thanks guys,
|
| all very helpful, and I suppose I should have just gone and had a
look
| at the formica site myself.
|
| Damn shame about the plywood recommendations; I'm laminating a
| bulkhead for the heads and I wanted a smooth light cleanable finish
as
| there is not much light in that area. Still, I'm going to take a
| chance on that.
|
| As for contact adhesive, I stopped using that stuff about twenty
years
| ago because it is slow and dirty to use, and doesn't bond as well as
| PVA glues anyway. PVA would not be any use in this situation .
|
| Interesting about the grain, I never knew about that and I have been
| using the stuff for years
|
| Thanks again
|
| pete

pete

How interesting, I'm certainly going to give that a tryout

Pete

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 18:08:41 -0400, "Mungo Bulge"
wrote:

Put this in your veneer press:
Plywood substrate, wet out with epoxy, snapshots of friends and
family, old newspaper clippings, etc. 6 oz fibreglass cloth, wet out
with WEST SYSTEM 105 Resin and 207 Special Coating Hardener, cover
with a sheet of Formica sprayed with mould release, When it cures, you
will have a montage that is significant, and the texture of Formica
all on a stable substrate. Don't use too much pressure, (10 psi)
Just a thought.

"pete" wrote in message
.. .
| Thanks guys,
|
| all very helpful, and I suppose I should have just gone and had a
look
| at the formica site myself.
|
| Damn shame about the plywood recommendations; I'm laminating a
| bulkhead for the heads and I wanted a smooth light cleanable finish
as
| there is not much light in that area. Still, I'm going to take a
| chance on that.
|
| As for contact adhesive, I stopped using that stuff about twenty
years
| ago because it is slow and dirty to use, and doesn't bond as well as
| PVA glues anyway. PVA would not be any use in this situation .
|
| Interesting about the grain, I never knew about that and I have been
| using the stuff for years
|
| Thanks again
|
| pete

Lew Hodgett

"Mungo Bulge" wrote:

Put this in your veneer press:
Plywood substrate, wet out with epoxy, snapshots of friends and
family, old newspaper clippings, etc. 6 oz fibreglass cloth, wet out
with WEST SYSTEM 105 Resin and 207 Special Coating Hardener, cover
with a sheet of Formica sprayed with mould release, When it cures, you
will have a montage that is significant, and the texture of Formica
all on a stable substrate. Don't use too much pressure, (10 psi)
Just a thought.

SFWIW, my head has glass laminated over plywood with epoxy, then shot
with high build primer followed by 2 part LP.

Clean up is with a sponge.

Depending on the glass, you may or may not have to fair out the glass
before shooting HBP.

Lew
pete

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:52:59 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

"Mungo Bulge" wrote:

Put this in your veneer press:
Plywood substrate, wet out with epoxy, snapshots of friends and
family, old newspaper clippings, etc. 6 oz fibreglass cloth, wet out
with WEST SYSTEM 105 Resin and 207 Special Coating Hardener, cover
with a sheet of Formica sprayed with mould release, When it cures, you
will have a montage that is significant, and the texture of Formica
all on a stable substrate. Don't use too much pressure, (10 psi)
Just a thought.

SFWIW, my head has glass laminated over plywood with epoxy, then shot
with high build primer followed by 2 part LP.

Clean up is with a sponge.

Depending on the glass, you may or may not have to fair out the glass
before shooting HBP.

Lew

Yes I did consider that, but I wanted a quick fix, and I wasn't
confident in my ability to produce a finish I would be happy with.

Thanks,

Pete

The Epoxy Test Results Mic Cruising 1 July 6th 05 10:38 PM
Bedding new fair-leads with epoxy Adam Boat Building 3 May 18th 05 11:33 PM
UV Blocker for Epoxy Bob La Londe Boat Building 6 May 8th 05 09:26 PM
formica trim finish technique. Steve Boat Building 2 February 27th 04 11:49 AM
Will epoxy bond formica? Jim Conlin Boat Building 5 October 28th 03 04:14 AM