Mungo Bulge

I was just reading the user's guide for West System and they have four
descriptive categories for epoxy and its uses. Syrup, ketchup,
mayonnaise and peanut butter. They recommend wetting out laminations
with syrup and then spreading ketchup (with a notched trowel) on one
or both pieces. So, yes, you should use a filler, or at least follow
the manufactures (epoxy) recommendations.
http://www.formica.co.uk/index.cfm?F...y&ContentID=82

As for grain, I've never hear that it had one, in the same sense that
wood has a grain. I presume it has a grain, in the same sense that
roller processed plastics have a grain, but just like other plastics,
it doesn't have a lateral bias with respect to expansion and
contraction. Way back when I was young, I remember the surface
material and the substrate had different coefficients of linear
expansion which would cause cupping or dishing of un-laminated
material. However, the same precautions as with any veneering on solid
wood, the opposite surface needs to also be laminated to prevent
warping.

Shawn