Bob La Londe

Default UV Blocker for Epoxy

I ran into a fellow at a guns how in Vegas a couple years ago. He had
soemthing interesting. An epoxy and carbon fiber brief case they made made
in their shop. I asked him about his choice of epoxy instead of polyester,
and he said that the epoxy had a problem with sunlight, but they were able
to make a much more durable product with epoxy from every other perspective.
I asked him abotu the UV issue, and he claimed they used a UV blocker
additive int eh epoxy that should totally eliminate the problem. Any idea
what that might have been? It looked like clear epoxy over carbon fiber
fabric.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Matt Langenfeld

There is no additive that will give epoxy complete UV protection without
paint or varnish over the top of it.

Don't forget, a brief case does not sit out in the sun and epoxy does
not instantly break down from UV rays. So that brief case will probably
see many many years without any sort of visable effect from UV rays.

--
Matt Langenfeld
JEM Watercraft

Bob La Londe wrote:
I ran into a fellow at a guns how in Vegas a couple years ago. He had
soemthing interesting. An epoxy and carbon fiber brief case they made made
in their shop. I asked him about his choice of epoxy instead of polyester,
and he said that the epoxy had a problem with sunlight, but they were able
to make a much more durable product with epoxy from every other perspective.
I asked him abotu the UV issue, and he claimed they used a UV blocker
additive int eh epoxy that should totally eliminate the problem. Any idea
what that might have been? It looked like clear epoxy over carbon fiber
fabric.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Brian D

System Three does sell an epoxy that's designed to be a finish coat, one
with the UV inhibitors built in. It's called SB-112 and was designed for
coating and glassing surfboards. I used it (mixed with graphite) for the
bottom of my boat, see http://www.reelboats.com .

Brian D

ink.net...

Bob La Londe wrote:
I ran into a fellow at a guns how in Vegas a couple years ago. He had
soemthing interesting. An epoxy and carbon fiber brief case they made
made
in their shop. I asked him about his choice of epoxy instead of
polyester,
and he said that the epoxy had a problem with sunlight, but they were
able
to make a much more durable product with epoxy from every other
perspective.
I asked him abotu the UV issue, and he claimed they used a UV blocker
additive int eh epoxy that should totally eliminate the problem. Any
idea
what that might have been? It looked like clear epoxy over carbon fiber
fabric.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Jim Conlin

WEST System #207 hardener is said to be somewhat more UV tolerant than their
mainstream products, but still needs protection from long-term UV exposure.
If a clear finish is wanted, I'd use a two-part clear polyurethane. It'll
be appreciably more hardy than a conventional varnish.

Bob La Londe wrote:
I ran into a fellow at a guns how in Vegas a couple years ago. He had
soemthing interesting. An epoxy and carbon fiber brief case they made
made
in their shop. I asked him about his choice of epoxy instead of
polyester,
and he said that the epoxy had a problem with sunlight, but they were
able
to make a much more durable product with epoxy from every other
perspective.
I asked him abotu the UV issue, and he claimed they used a UV blocker
additive int eh epoxy that should totally eliminate the problem. Any
idea
what that might have been? It looked like clear epoxy over carbon

fiber
fabric.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Roger Derby

Do you really plan to spend that much time floating bottom up?

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm
"Brian D" wrote in message
System Three does sell an epoxy that's designed to be a finish coat, one
with the UV inhibitors built in. It's called SB-112 and was designed for
coating and glassing surfboards. I used it (mixed with graphite) for the
bottom of my boat, see http://www.reelboats.com .

Brian D

Brian D

Geez! You're as bad as my friends! Heard the same remark already ... ;-)

No ...At the time when I was ordering some epoxy, I figured that since I had
a choice, that I may as well get the SB-112. I had black graphited epoxy
on the bottom of my driftboat for years and it never showed the slightest
hint of UV degradation, so I'm certain that using the SB-112 on the current
boat's bottom was not necessary. I might use it on wood trim and what not
though, and see how long it lets me go without having to put a top coat on
....but then again, I don't give a hoot for fancy wood trim in fishing boats,
so I'm just as likely to just paint everything...

Brian D

nk.net...

"Brian D" wrote in message
System Three does sell an epoxy that's designed to be a finish coat, one
with the UV inhibitors built in. It's called SB-112 and was designed for
coating and glassing surfboards. I used it (mixed with graphite) for the
bottom of my boat, see http://www.reelboats.com .

Brian D

Paul Oman

Bob La Londe wrote:

I ran into a fellow at a guns how in Vegas a couple years ago. He had
soemthing interesting. An epoxy and carbon fiber brief case they made made
in their shop. I asked him about his choice of epoxy instead of polyester,
and he said that the epoxy had a problem with sunlight, but they were able
to make a much more durable product with epoxy from every other perspective.
I asked him abotu the UV issue, and he claimed they used a UV blocker
additive int eh epoxy that should totally eliminate the problem. Any idea
what that might have been? It looked like clear epoxy over carbon fiber
fabric.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

----------------

There is no real UV blocker that can be added to epoxies - if there was
- everyone in my business would have lots more $$$. There are UV blocker
additives that can go in clear acrylic coatings and LPU urethanes but
note that they almost never are added (with only a few exceptions).

Varnish over clear epoxy works well as a UV blocker too!

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers

--

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include
a free trip around the Sun every year."

PAUL OMAN Progressive Epoxy Polymers, Inc.
Frog Pond Hollow - 48 Wildwood Drive
Pittsfield NH 03263
10:30-3:30 Monday-Thur EST 603-435-7199
VISA/MC/Discover/Paypal