pete

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:52:59 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

"Mungo Bulge" wrote:

Put this in your veneer press:
Plywood substrate, wet out with epoxy, snapshots of friends and
family, old newspaper clippings, etc. 6 oz fibreglass cloth, wet out
with WEST SYSTEM 105 Resin and 207 Special Coating Hardener, cover
with a sheet of Formica sprayed with mould release, When it cures, you
will have a montage that is significant, and the texture of Formica
all on a stable substrate. Don't use too much pressure, (10 psi)
Just a thought.

SFWIW, my head has glass laminated over plywood with epoxy, then shot
with high build primer followed by 2 part LP.

Clean up is with a sponge.

Depending on the glass, you may or may not have to fair out the glass
before shooting HBP.

Lew

Yes I did consider that, but I wanted a quick fix, and I wasn't
confident in my ability to produce a finish I would be happy with.

Thanks,

Pete
Dan

"Plywood substrates should be avoided, whenever possible, for use with
Formica brand
laminate,

Huh? From the Formica site it says"

Plywood
• Excellent substrate when from straight grained, low density hardwood
or softwood with surfaces free from knots.
• When bonded with waterproof adhesives (bond Class 3 of EN 314-2) the
composite boards suit applications subject to high humidity and frequent
wetting.
• Available in flame-retardant grades to produce composite panels that
conform to fire performance requirements of the Building Regulations.

What am I missing here?
There is a Laminate counter top on my 1977 sailboat that has been open
to the atmosphere for 10 years and the bond hasn't broke yet.

http://www.formica.co.uk//index.cfm?...y&ContentID=81

The Epoxy Test Results Mic Cruising 1 July 6th 05 10:38 PM
Bedding new fair-leads with epoxy Adam Boat Building 3 May 18th 05 11:33 PM
UV Blocker for Epoxy Bob La Londe Boat Building 6 May 8th 05 09:26 PM
formica trim finish technique. Steve Boat Building 2 February 27th 04 11:49 AM
Will epoxy bond formica? Jim Conlin Boat Building 5 October 28th 03 04:14 AM