Morgan Ohlson

Default Handbook on daysailer /dinghy design

I'm looking for The daysailer /dinghy design handbook

1 book (hull, rig, fittings, etc)
handbook style
like a formula collection (preferrably SI units)
with handy comments
and a few examples
....and no bla, bla, bla, romantics

Please tell it's title.

Thanks!

Morgan O.
Rob

Morgan Ohlson wrote in message ...
I'm looking for The daysailer /dinghy design handbook

1 book (hull, rig, fittings, etc)
handbook style
like a formula collection (preferrably SI units)
with handy comments
and a few examples
...and no bla, bla, bla, romantics

Please tell it's title.

Thanks!

Morgan O.

Try this:
Marine Design Books covering Powerboat Design and Sailboat Design ...
.... How to Design a Boat by John Teale How to Design a Boat by John
Teale John Teale,
Naval Architect and editor of Motor Boat and Yachting for years, takes
the ...
www.boat-design.net/Technical_ Resources/Books_-_Boat_Design/ - 32k -
Cached - Similar pages
William R. Watt

racing dingy, cruising dingy, or pleasure sailing dingy?

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
I'm looking for The daysailer /dinghy design handbook

1 book (hull, rig, fittings, etc)
handbook style
like a formula collection (preferrably SI units)
with handy comments
and a few examples
...and no bla, bla, bla, romantics

Please tell it's title.

Thanks!

Morgan O.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Brian Whatcott

Hmmm...let's see: he wants a book on daysailer/dinghy design:

Is that description like a racing dinghy? No, I don't think so.
Or a cruising dinghy? Can't go far in a day, I don't suppose.
Or a pleasure sailing dinghy? As that's the only category left
- I guess that most be it, wouldn't you think?

Brian W

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
I'm looking for The daysailer /dinghy design handbook

///
Thanks!

Morgan O.

Dan

Brian:

That's a rather sarcastic answer to a pretty legitimate question. The
dinghies Watt mentioned could all be possible answers to the original post.
I can think of an example from all three of his suggestions that MIGHT fit
the posters needs. Like Watt, I'd like a bit more info too.

Lighten up a bit? Or this guy with the question might think us
unfriendly...(c;

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
I'm looking for The daysailer /dinghy design handbook

///
Thanks!

Morgan O.

Brian Whatcott

Thank you for giving me yet another opportunity to eat
humble pie on account of my extremely rudimentary
social graces.
I hear you, and will try to be a more helpful, less sarcastic person.
But I have been trying in that particular area
for 40 or 50 years, so I don't suppose there's much hope for instant
improvement...

Now a tip for you: when handing out comments, I use my full name
yes, my real one. And a real email. Like the other folks in this
thread. Except you.
Then if I write something dumb, you know who's speaking.

Brian W.

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 14:30:23 -0700, "Dan" wrote:

Brian:

That's a rather sarcastic answer to a pretty legitimate question. The
dinghies Watt mentioned could all be possible answers to the original post.
I can think of an example from all three of his suggestions that MIGHT fit
the posters needs. Like Watt, I'd like a bit more info too.

Lighten up a bit? Or this guy with the question might think us
unfriendly...(c;

.. .

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
I'm looking for The daysailer /dinghy design handbook

///
Thanks!

Morgan O.

Morgan Ohlson

Watt) wrote:
racing dingy, cruising dingy, or pleasure sailing dingy?

No, but there is a better answer, I think...

The formulas are the same, as well as the process itself. A seaworthy dinghy
may also be slow, but both aspects apply, but in different perspektives.

So, basicly a good handbook on design should deal with different goals.
Isn't that the essence of design?

I'm not looking for instant plans.

Morgan
William R. Watt

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:

The formulas are the same, as well as the process itself. A seaworthy dinghy
may also be slow, but both aspects apply, but in different perspektives.

So, basicly a good handbook on design should deal with different goals.
Isn't that the essence of design?

I'm not looking for instant plans.

the design of a racing dingy is quite a lot different from the design of
a cruising dingy which differs again from the design of a pleasure sailing
dingy. I have not come across anything which covers all three.

racing dingy's are lightwight, uncomforatable, and festooned with
expensive "gofasts". a good crusing dingy is heavy, high sided,
comfortable, more decked over, adn can be made of less expnesive, often
home built, hardware. a good day sailer is usually light and responsive
without the expense of the racer, or large and comodious, dependign on
it's indended use.

People who design racing dingy's are not much interested in cruising and
people who design crusing dingy's are usually trying to get away from the
dominance of racing dingy's. they tend not to write design books covering
both types. most yacht design book focus on big boats where the money is.
big boats don't usually scale down well. for example, weight of materials,
ballast and heeling on a small boat are quite different.

I went through what you are doing and that is what I found.

You might be interested in an effort I made to document the design
process for a cruising dingy by an amateur. It's at
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Boats.htm. Look under "Designs" and "Solo15".

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Dan

Brian

I didn't mean to serve you humble pie. Just wanted the new guy to feel
welcome. (c;

And sorry, but there is a very long standing "news group etiquette" among
nettizens that precludes using full names or real e-mail addresses. It
prevents spammers from mining names and addresses with which to send out
their junk.

I dutifully read the criticism of my mistakes, errors and my hasty remarks
by simply reading replies within the NG. Thanks.

Cheers,

Dan

[...]

. ..

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:
I'm looking for The daysailer /dinghy design handbook
///
Thanks!

Morgan O.

Morgan Ohlson

On 3 Oct 2004 11:30:46 -0700, Rob wrote:

Morgan Ohlson wrote in message ...
I'm looking for The daysailer /dinghy design handbook

1 book (hull, rig, fittings, etc)
handbook style
like a formula collection (preferrably SI units)
with handy comments
and a few examples
...and no bla, bla, bla, romantics

Please tell it's title.

Thanks!

Morgan O.

Try this:
Marine Design Books covering Powerboat Design and Sailboat Design ...
... How to Design a Boat by John Teale How to Design a Boat by John
Teale John Teale,
Naval Architect and editor of Motor Boat and Yachting for years, takes
the ...
www.boat-design.net/Technical_ Resources/Books_-_Boat_Design/ - 32k -
Cached - Similar pages

I looked it up and ordered it!