William R. Watt

Morgan Ohlson ) writes:

The formulas are the same, as well as the process itself. A seaworthy dinghy
may also be slow, but both aspects apply, but in different perspektives.

So, basicly a good handbook on design should deal with different goals.
Isn't that the essence of design?

I'm not looking for instant plans.

the design of a racing dingy is quite a lot different from the design of
a cruising dingy which differs again from the design of a pleasure sailing
dingy. I have not come across anything which covers all three.

racing dingy's are lightwight, uncomforatable, and festooned with
expensive "gofasts". a good crusing dingy is heavy, high sided,
comfortable, more decked over, adn can be made of less expnesive, often
home built, hardware. a good day sailer is usually light and responsive
without the expense of the racer, or large and comodious, dependign on
it's indended use.

People who design racing dingy's are not much interested in cruising and
people who design crusing dingy's are usually trying to get away from the
dominance of racing dingy's. they tend not to write design books covering
both types. most yacht design book focus on big boats where the money is.
big boats don't usually scale down well. for example, weight of materials,
ballast and heeling on a small boat are quite different.

I went through what you are doing and that is what I found.

You might be interested in an effort I made to document the design
process for a cruising dingy by an amateur. It's at
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/Boats.htm. Look under "Designs" and "Solo15".

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm