Default stich and glue

Looking for some net wisdom here for anyone who has built a stich and glue
boat. I am building a 14' power skiff from the plans at glen-l.com. I have
stiched the boat and start to apply the fillet. My question is when should I
remove or try to remove the wire holding the boat together? Is the fillet
strong enough to hold the boat together or should I wait until I apply the
fiber glass to the seams? Just wondering when I should remove the wire.
Thanks
William R. Watt

) writes:
Looking for some net wisdom here for anyone who has built a stich and glue
boat. I am building a 14' power skiff from the plans at glen-l.com. I have
stiched the boat and start to apply the fillet. My question is when should I
remove or try to remove the wire holding the boat together? Is the fillet
strong enough to hold the boat together or should I wait until I apply the
fiber glass to the seams? Just wondering when I should remove the wire.
Thanks

Read the label on the adhesive. It usually says to wait 24 hours at 70 degF.

The fillet will hold the boat together after the wires are removed. If you
are worried the wires can be left in. Clip them off on the outside,
optionally grind down the proecting ends into the wood, and tape over.

It's pretty common now just to put drops of glue between the wires. Epoxy
glue will hold as well as the wire ties. Then remove the wires and fillet.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Jim Conlin

Leave the wires in place until the inside work is done. You may need to push 'em
snug into the inside corner with a screwdriver to get 'em below the surface of
the fillet.
It saves a fair amount of time to apply the fillet and the inside glass at the
same time. Use peel ply and form the whole mess with a stick with a rounded (1"
radius?) end.

When it's cured, clip the wires on the outside and dress 'em flush with a file, a
grinder or a belt sander.

wrote:

Looking for some net wisdom here for anyone who has built a stich and glue
boat. I am building a 14' power skiff from the plans at glen-l.com. I have
stiched the boat and start to apply the fillet. My question is when should I
remove or try to remove the wire holding the boat together? Is the fillet
strong enough to hold the boat together or should I wait until I apply the
fiber glass to the seams? Just wondering when I should remove the wire.
Thanks

John R Weiss

wrote...
I am building a 14' power skiff from the plans at glen-l.com. I have
stiched the boat and start to apply the fillet. My question is when

should I
remove or try to remove the wire holding the boat together? Is the fillet
strong enough to hold the boat together or should I wait until I apply the
fiber glass to the seams? Just wondering when I should remove the wire.

Some people leave the wires in; I pulled them after the initial epoxy set in
the outside joint.

In their construction manual, Pygmy Boats has you fill the gap in the
outside of the joint with a bead of epoxy. After that sets (12-24 hours),
the wires can be snipped and pulled. Then the fillets are put in the inside
of the joint, and the glass cloth is put over the outside.

The initial bead of epoxy will hold the joint together while you're
finishing the fillets and glass.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it...

maxxer

I built a clc chesapeak 17 and left the wires in. Before the fillet I Pushed
the wires with a flat head and applied the fillet over them.
Snip the wires as close as possible the sand smooth.
Good Luck

wrote in message ...
Looking for some net wisdom here for anyone who has built a stich and glue
boat. I am building a 14' power skiff from the plans at glen-l.com. I

have
stiched the boat and start to apply the fillet. My question is when

should I
remove or try to remove the wire holding the boat together? Is the fillet
strong enough to hold the boat together or should I wait until I apply the
fiber glass to the seams? Just wondering when I should remove the wire.
Thanks

Brian D

There's such a thing as net wisdom and traditional practices, and then
there's also real proof of what works:

http://www.reelboats.com/tongass/step13.html My 22' Tolman Jumbo offshore
skiff project

Towards the end of the page (scroll down) above, you'll see and read about
how I "tack welded" with thickened epoxy in between stitches to hold my side
panels on while I removed the stitches. These side panels take a pretty
hard turn around the bow and are 3/8" thick, and the wood is Meranti
....stiffer than fir and other woods. Make sure you do a good job of using a
brush to precoat / pre-soak the edges that you will glue. Then use a putty
knife to add thickened epoxy into the joints (wood flour + silica in my
case). I waited 24 hours and removed the stitches. Shop temp was about 65
F, and the epoxy was System Three general purpose with #2 Medium hardener.
I've done this on every boat that I've built and never the slightest
failure. I'd say the process is very low risk. No need to leave stitches
and fasteners in the boat to hold the joint together for construction.
Epoxy is strong stuff.

Brian D