William R. Watt

Default stich and glue

) writes:
Looking for some net wisdom here for anyone who has built a stich and glue
boat. I am building a 14' power skiff from the plans at glen-l.com. I have
stiched the boat and start to apply the fillet. My question is when should I
remove or try to remove the wire holding the boat together? Is the fillet
strong enough to hold the boat together or should I wait until I apply the
fiber glass to the seams? Just wondering when I should remove the wire.
Thanks

Read the label on the adhesive. It usually says to wait 24 hours at 70 degF.

The fillet will hold the boat together after the wires are removed. If you
are worried the wires can be left in. Clip them off on the outside,
optionally grind down the proecting ends into the wood, and tape over.

It's pretty common now just to put drops of glue between the wires. Epoxy
glue will hold as well as the wire ties. Then remove the wires and fillet.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm