nafod40

Default stich and glue

wrote:
Looking for some net wisdom here for anyone who has built a stich and glue
boat. I am building a 14' power skiff from the plans at glen-l.com. I have
stiched the boat and start to apply the fillet. My question is when should I
remove or try to remove the wire holding the boat together? Is the fillet
strong enough to hold the boat together or should I wait until I apply the
fiber glass to the seams? Just wondering when I should remove the wire.
Thanks

I'm doing a S&G kayak. I did the fillets, leaving the wires exposed,
then pulled them and completed the fillets the next day. If I was to do
it again, I'd just do small fillets of epoxy to hold them in position,
remove the wires, and fillet. The epoxy is as strong as the wires once
it sets.