posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default social security

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:56:48 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

I agree with much of this, except that I do believe a lot of this could
have
been prevented or mitigated by regulations that were either abandoned or
ignored.

Yet you've repeatedly failed to corroborate that belief with specifics,
choosing instead to fling about without amplification some ill-informed
general references repeal of a 1930s statute that no knowledgeable
observer
would suggest had any impact on the current crisis.

Squirm all you want, but the fact remains that McCain was responsible for
much of the deregulation that lead directly to the financial meltdown we're
experiencing. McCain, by his own words, supported Bush 90% of the time. Bush
was a disaster on so many levels that even if McCain was 5% complicit, he
should resign from the Presidential race and the Senate immediately.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:50:16 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

McCain was responsible for
much of the deregulation that lead directly to the financial meltdown
we're
experiencing.

And of course you again fail to identify any such deregulation. Where's
the
beef, Jon?

Do your own research! He claims he was anti-regulation and I take him at his
word. Don't you?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:34:47 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

And of course you again fail to identify any such deregulation. Where's
the
beef, Jon?

Do your own research!

No need to, Jon. I'm quite familiar with bank regulation. Deal with it
daily. That's why I asked the question--to demonstrate that you haven't a
clue about financial regulation or deregulation.

So, you're now claiming that removing legislation that's been around for
decades didn't significantly contribute to the melt-down. Talk about fantasy
land!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:38:17 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

No need to, Jon. I'm quite familiar with bank regulation. Deal with it
daily. That's why I asked the question--to demonstrate that you haven't
clue about financial regulation or deregulation.

So, you're now claiming that removing legislation that's been around for
decades didn't significantly contribute to the melt-down. Talk about
fantasy
land!

I'm not simply claiming it--it's true. I've explained elsewhere why that's
the case. And despite my repeated requests you have come forward with no
explanation whatever of any reason why the Glass-Steagall's replacement by
Gramm-Leach_Bliley's holding company provisions had any impact on the
mortgage crisis. There's a whole universe of liberal blogs out there
making
that claim, and not a one that I've seen has come up with even a
semi-credible basis for it. They simply chant "deregulation" over and over
like some magic incantation, apparently relying on the principle that if
you
repeat a lie often enough and loud enough people will eventually believe
it.

Yep, it's fantasy time for you. You need to stop listing to the
right-wingnut financiers.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:04:52 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

[...]

Hey, Jon, I'm listening for you to supply that explanation. So far all I'm
getting is deafening silence.

"Few pin all the blame for the current crisis on the repeal of
Glass-Steagall or expect its wall of separation to return. Steven Kyle,
associate professor of economics at Cornell University, says re-imposing
that wall with the "sledgehammer or meat-axe approach of the 30s" would not
be advisable, but for Congress to have "cut that wall and replaced it with
nothing was a bad idea."

"There's no question in my mind that there was inadequate regulation which
led to this mess," says Kyle. "If you look at financial history, certainly
the private market does self-regulate, but with periodic crashes, and we
don't like that."

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:16:06 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

Hey, Jon, I'm listening for you to supply that explanation. So far all
I'm
getting is deafening silence.

"Few pin all the blame for the current crisis on the repeal of
Glass-Steagall or expect its wall of separation to return. Steven Kyle,
associate professor of economics at Cornell University, says re-imposing
that wall with the "sledgehammer or meat-axe approach of the 30s" would
not
be advisable, but for Congress to have "cut that wall and replaced it with
nothing was a bad idea."

"There's no question in my mind that there was inadequate regulation which
led to this mess," says Kyle. "If you look at financial history, certainly
the private market does self-regulate, but with periodic crashes, and we
don't like that."

Looks to me like you've just proved my point far better than I could,Jon
Even your academic "source" doesn't claim that the repeal of Glass
Steagall
had anything to do with the mortgage melt-down. His first sentence is most
enlightening, since it confirms what I've been saying all along. And like
you he simply says it's "inadequate regulation" that caused the problem,
apparently expecting people to believe him without the need to get into
messy specifics like identifying what "inadequate regulation" he has in
mind, and how the alleged inadequacy is the result of specific changes.

I'd be happy to discuss the impact of other changed regulations on the
mortgage problem if you'd just tell us what changes you have in mind. I
think your "expert" pretty much drove the last nail in the coffin of your
Glass Steagall claims.

I never claimed that Glass Steagall was the sole cause and you know it.
Lying isn't helping your cause. I claimed and I and others with greater
expertise than I claim that deregulation has significantly contributed to
the debacle. If you choose not to believe it, fine with me, but don't
distort my views toward your silly point of view.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 14:19:37 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

.. .
said:

[...]

Dave also keeps changing what he calls the "crisis". Now it's the
"Mortgage Crisis", as if the only problem with the economy right now
is due to mortgages and nothing else matters.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

said:

I never claimed that Glass Steagall was the sole cause and you know it.

Nor did I say you did. However, you did say:

So, you're now claiming that removing legislation that's been around for
decades didn't significantly contribute to the melt-down. Talk about
fantasy
land!

So let me give you another shot at it. What "legislation that's been
around
for decades" were you referring to, and how did that legislation's being
in
your words "removed" contribute to the mortgage melt-down?

Asked and answered. Also, I'll repeat... do your own research!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:49:06 -0700, "Capt. JG"
said:

So let me give you another shot at it. What "legislation that's been
around
for decades" were you referring to, and how did that legislation's being
in
your words "removed" contribute to the mortgage melt-down?

Asked and answered.

Please direct me to the message in which you claim the question was
answered.

Also, I'll repeat... do your own research!

As I've previously pointed out, Jon, I have no need to research the
question. I know you're full of **** because I'm very familiar with bank
regulation.

Sorry, I don't have it in my list. Here are some suggestions for a quick
read.

http://www.aei.org/books/bookID.272,...ook_detail.asp
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/Insigh...110150207.html
http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs....014/FEATURES05

Even Greenspan took some responsibility recently.

Oh, and I shouldn't have claimed you lied... mislead, fibbed, but lie was
too strong. I apologize.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Dave wrote:
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:49:06 -0700, "Capt. JG" said:

So let me give you another shot at it. What "legislation that's been
around
for decades" were you referring to, and how did that legislation's being
in
your words "removed" contribute to the mortgage melt-down?

Asked and answered.

Please direct me to the message in which you claim the question was
answered.

Also, I'll repeat... do your own research!

As I've previously pointed out, Jon, I have no need to research the
question. I know you're full of **** because I'm very familiar with bank
regulation.

As an interesting aside, recently the Canadian banking system was rated
as the soundest in the world, the primary reason given: Canadian
banks face the strictest regulations in the world..

Food for thought.

Cheers
Martin