posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Seamanship Question# #41

What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? 1 pt
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? 1 pt

If you mean 'fire extinguisher' then I think it should be in the after
locker in the cockpit (as mine is)and not inside the companionway which may
well be full of smoke when you want it.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 15, 11:16*am, Bart wrote:
What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? *1 pt

Depends on the boat.

It's a good place for a ditch bag and an EPIRB on a big boat.

Fire extinguisher, too... although I agree with the suggestion that at
least one other fire extinguisher be kept aboard at another location.

I keep a flashlight, a flare kit, and a hand held VHF just inside the
companionway on both of our boats.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:57:30 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message
What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? 1 pt

If you mean 'fire extinguisher' then I think it should be in the after
locker in the cockpit (as mine is)and not inside the companionway which
may
well be full of smoke when you want it.

In my opinion, there need to be multiple extinguishers on any boat
with a cabin. One accessible in the cockpit, one just inside the
companionway, and another just inside the forward hatch. I actually
carry a forth one in the anchor locker.

The first three places are where I keep mine. I do not have a fourth one but
it is a good idea.
In the anchor locker is where I keep my spare propane bottle as the locker
has a drain hole in the bottom leading outside.
No point in having the active propane bottle compartment vented outside if
the spare is kept in a locker where any leakage goes down into the bilge.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message
[...]

What a good point! I've always kept my spare in a stern locker.

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message
What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? *1 pt

If you mean 'fire extinguisher' then I think it should be in the after
locker in the cockpit (as mine is)and not inside the companionway which may
well be full of smoke when you want it.

In my opinion, there need to be multiple extinguishers on any boat
with a cabin. One accessible in the cockpit, one just inside the
companionway, and another just inside the forward hatch. I actually
carry a forth one in the anchor locker. You never know in advance
where you are going to be, or where you may end up trapped if a fire
breaks out on a boat. And don't make the mistake of buying the
smallest extinguishers you can find. Those may be adequate in a land
structure to get you outside, but on a boat,where your escape options
are limited, you need something that has at least some chance of
putting the fire OUT.

Good comment. So what type of fire extinguisher works best on
a boat?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 15, 1:47*pm, wrote:
On Oct 15, 11:16*am, Bart wrote:

What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? *1 pt

Depends on the boat.

It's a good place for a ditch bag and an EPIRB on a big boat.

Fire extinguisher, too... although I agree with the suggestion that at
least one other fire extinguisher be kept aboard at another location.

I keep a flashlight, a flare kit, and a hand held VHF just inside the
companionway on both of our boats.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Good answer Doug. What sort of things would you have in
a flare kit?
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message
[...]

Depends on what kind of fire you have!

On a boat, I would recommend a dry chemical type covering at least
Classes A B C. People complain about the mess dry chem makes, but
that's a pretty foolish mindset when you are talking about an onboard
fire.

Class A - for paper, wood, plastic, cloth

Class B - Flammable liquids as well as flammable gases

Class C - Electrical fires on a powered circuit

Class D - Combustible metals

(I'll pause here and note that I carry one extinguisher that is rated
for Class D fires. It's the one in my anchor locker. If I ever end up
with a burning flare landing on my deck, I'll be very glad I spent
that extra money.)

Class K - You don't hear about this one often. It's specifically for
cooking fires caused by fat or vegetable oil. I don't have one rated
K. If I owned a restaurant, I probably would have a few of these in
the kitchen.

Oh... If you have an inboard engine, don't overlook the need for at
least one strategically placed fireport. That allows you to apply the
contents of an extinguisher without adding more oxygen to the fire by
opening any access hatches.

A permanent fire suppression system in the engine compartment is an
advantage, but relatively expensive to install and maintain.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message
[...]

OK, so we know there are different types of fires possible on a boat.

What one type of fire extinguisher would you want to have to cover
all types.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 15, 11:16*am, Bart wrote:
What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? *1 pt

DOES ANYONE HERE KEEP A COLLISION AVOIDANCE FLARE,
DRY AND HANDY, JUST INSIDE THE COMPANIONWAY?

http://www.pangolin.co.nz/jetsam/view_article.php?idx=7

This is the reason I started this thread. I was curious if anyone
carried one of these in a handy location. On my last trip between
Gibraltar and Malta, I once counted six ships visible at the same
time. I've never seen so much shipping traffic on open
waters.

I also noticed each of the two yachts I sailed, based in the UK,
and used for commercial training, were fitted with collision
avoidance flares.

How often do you need them? Perhaps never, but it is a
comforting thing to have and a worthwhile piece of equipment
to have handy.

My seamanship question #2 Ellen MacArthur ASA 41 September 26th 06 02:38 AM
My seamanship question #4 Ellen MacArthur ASA 32 September 15th 06 01:52 PM
My seamanship question #3 Ellen MacArthur ASA 30 September 14th 06 04:08 AM
Seamanship question #13 Michael ASA 5 August 2nd 04 05:35 AM
Seamanship Question 2 pts plus bonus question. Bart Senior ASA 12 November 3rd 03 05:27 PM