posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Seamanship Question# #41

wrote in message
news
I also noticed each of the two yachts I sailed, based in the UK,
and used for commercial training, were fitted with collision
avoidance flares.

How often do you need them? Perhaps never, but it is a
comforting thing to have and a worthwhile piece of equipment
to have handy.

That article indicates that it is just an idea, and no one
manufactures such a device. The article also raises the point that
this flare might be confusing to others, who haven't read the same
article. It's not an "accepted" and widely known form of collision
avoidance.

A 'collision avoidance flare' is not some hi-tech gismo-it is simply a white
hand-held flare which carries no indication that one needs help but is just
a way of making sure you are seen.
If you sail at night you should always have some aboard. You will find that
it is universally used and accepted as a way of making your presence known.
However the term 'collision avoidance flare' is wrong and misleading and is
not mentioned in the colregs because the specific measures you need to take
to avoid collisions are unaffected by the use of such flares.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:04:32 -0400, said:

If I throw a watermelon at the bow of a crossing boat as a warning, is
that a collision avaoidance watermelon?

I should think the answer is yes. It certainly is no longer lunch.

Ok, so this is really, really funny. Thanks!

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 22 Oct, 12:04, wrote:

If I throw a watermelon at the bow of a crossing boat as a warning, is
that a collision avaoidance watermelon?

I strongly disagree with the use of recreational drugs.
They do real harm to society.
However, I would like to try whatever you are using.

Regards

Donal
posted to alt.sailing.asa

n Sat, 18 Oct 2008 09:00:35 -0600, "Charles Momsen"
wrote this crap:

avoidance.

yes it's an attention getter, but so is a carbide cannon.

Collision avoidance flares are used on some types of aircraft.

Yeah. I shoot them out the window all the time.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.

My seamanship question #2 Ellen MacArthur ASA 41 September 26th 06 02:38 AM
My seamanship question #4 Ellen MacArthur ASA 32 September 15th 06 01:52 PM
My seamanship question #3 Ellen MacArthur ASA 30 September 14th 06 04:08 AM
Seamanship question #13 Michael ASA 5 August 2nd 04 05:35 AM
Seamanship Question 2 pts plus bonus question. Bart Senior ASA 12 November 3rd 03 05:27 PM