Michael

Default Seamanship question #13

A big thank you for this timely question and reminder since moi's bateaux is
being fitted with the loose foot full batten system, power vang and full
shaping controls. All my die hard cruising friends said overkill since I
don't race but I believe copying the fine tuning techniques of the racers,
(minus that overintense fixation on being first back at the adult
beveragesupply)will nicely enhance my cruising experience. That part about
the top batten and (you must have had me in mind) aft set pair of the four
lower shrouds was perfect. I'm printingthis answer for my cockpit book!

Michael

"Peter S/Y Anicula" wrote in message
Addition:
If the shrouds are swept aft, preventing the boom from going out on a
run, it might be nessecarry to ease the vang a bit, to allow the top
batten to have a 90 degree angle to the wind.

Peter S/Y Anicula

"Peter S/Y Anicula" skrev i en
meddelelse ...
Standard answer:
"Downwind, the vang should be trimmed enough to keep the boom down

and
the leech set with the upper batten parallel to the boom."

You would want very little twist, and no part of the main in front

of
the mast -especially if you sail with a spinnaker - since this will
result in rolling and eventually a broach - if you are unlucky - to
windward. Therefore the vang (kicking-strap) should be pulled fairly
hard. If the boat heels and the boom catches the water, be ready to
release the vang very quick.

Peter S/Y Anicula

"Bart Senior" skrev i en meddelelse
et...
How do you determine the proper boomvang tension
when sailing downwind? [1 pt]

Bart Senior

How do you determine the proper boomvang tension
when sailing downwind? [1 pt]

Bart Senior

I don't like power vangs. In fact I think hydraulics are
a PITA and expensive to maintain.

What is the name of your bateaux? se rendre or capituler?

"Michael" wrote
[...]

Bart Senior

1 point

"Peter S/Y Anicula" wrote
Standard answer:
"Downwind, the vang should be trimmed enough to keep the boom down and
the leech set with the upper batten parallel to the boom."

You would want very little twist, and no part of the main in front of
the mast -especially if you sail with a spinnaker - since this will
result in rolling and eventually a broach - if you are unlucky - to
windward. Therefore the vang (kicking-strap) should be pulled fairly
hard. If the boat heels and the boom catches the water, be ready to
release the vang very quick.

Peter S/Y Anicula

"Bart Senior"
How do you determine the proper boomvang tension
when sailing downwind? [1 pt]

Seamanship Question #11 Bart Senior ASA 5 July 27th 04 09:59 PM
Seamanship Question #12 Bart Senior ASA 4 July 27th 04 05:10 PM
Seamanship Question #6 Bart Senior ASA 9 July 27th 04 08:20 AM
Seamanship Question 2 pts plus bonus question. Bart Senior ASA 12 November 3rd 03 05:27 PM