posted to alt.sailing.asa
Edgar Edgar is offline

Default Seamanship Question# #41

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:57:30 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message
What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? 1 pt

If you mean 'fire extinguisher' then I think it should be in the after
locker in the cockpit (as mine is)and not inside the companionway which
may
well be full of smoke when you want it.

In my opinion, there need to be multiple extinguishers on any boat
with a cabin. One accessible in the cockpit, one just inside the
companionway, and another just inside the forward hatch. I actually
carry a forth one in the anchor locker.

The first three places are where I keep mine. I do not have a fourth one but
it is a good idea.
In the anchor locker is where I keep my spare propane bottle as the locker
has a drain hole in the bottom leading outside.
No point in having the active propane bottle compartment vented outside if
the spare is kept in a locker where any leakage goes down into the bilge.