posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Bart is offline

Default Seamanship Question# #41

On Oct 15, 11:16*am, Bart wrote:
What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? *1 pt

DOES ANYONE HERE KEEP A COLLISION AVOIDANCE FLARE,
DRY AND HANDY, JUST INSIDE THE COMPANIONWAY?

http://www.pangolin.co.nz/jetsam/view_article.php?idx=7

This is the reason I started this thread. I was curious if anyone
carried one of these in a handy location. On my last trip between
Gibraltar and Malta, I once counted six ships visible at the same
time. I've never seen so much shipping traffic on open
waters.

I also noticed each of the two yachts I sailed, based in the UK,
and used for commercial training, were fitted with collision
avoidance flares.

How often do you need them? Perhaps never, but it is a
comforting thing to have and a worthwhile piece of equipment
to have handy.