posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default single handling crusiers

All my life I've "dreamed" about retiring on a boat and sailing from here to
there, as the spirit moves me. However, my only experience is some lake
sailing, a little Gulf of Mexico experience, and four years on a destroyer
in the navy. And, except for a couple of years in the 90's, most of my
sailing was done 35 years ago.

I have now retired and I signed up for a series of ASA lessons at a school
in Kemah, TX, just to bone up and get my feet wet, but haven't started yet
due to Ike.

My plan is to take the lessons, join a sailing club, and spend some time
afloat to see if the passion dissolves in the salt spray.

Assuming it doesn't, I will want to acquire a relatively inexpensive cruiser
for step 2. I.e., learning to live aboard, maintain the boat, and sail
alone with confidence.

At one time I owned a thirty footer, but never lived aboard, and most of the
maintenance was bought and paid for. I like all of the following, but
remember my experience is day sailing, for the most part, and I'm completely
ignorant of the requirements, stresses, and needs of the live aboard.

Contessa
Westerly (Konsort)
Endeavour 32 Plan A
Cape Dory
Crealock (Pacific Seacraft)
Island Packet

Which brings me to my question: what boat would you recommend for the live
aboard trial? Something no older that say 1983, between 28 and 35', a
sloop, that could be bought for no more than $60,000.

--

jlrogers±³©

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt

"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 25 Sep, 21:38, jlrogers±³© wrote:

Contessa
Westerly (Konsort)
Endeavour 32 Plan A
Cape Dory
Crealock (Pacific Seacraft)
Island Packet

Which brings me to my question: what boat would you recommend for the live
aboard trial? Something no older that say 1983, between 28 and 35', a
sloop, that could be bought for no more than $60,000.

I looked at an Island Packet last year. Although the boat was not for
me,
it did have some attributes that would suit a liveaboard. The saloon
table
folded up out of the way.

If you are living aboard a ~30 footer, then you are likely to sleep
in the forward cabin. The ability to leave your cabin without
having to squeeze past the saloon table would probably
be a great advantage. In fact, the saloon seemed huge with
the table folded up.

Regards

Donal
posted to alt.sailing.asa

We have several "old timers" at our marina who set off now and again
with boats suitable for your plan.

Cape Dory 33.....heavy, but comfortable and easy to handle sail plan.
I've sailed the 30 footer quite a bit more.
Pacific Seacraft Pilot House 32....One of my favorite boats and
perfect for one person or a happy couple. Tends to be pricey.
Pearson 35....this old timer even came as a yawl and some were fit out
for blue water. A bargain, even when refit.

There are quite a few boats that could be right for you. You might
even do well with a properly set up Beneteau or C&C. No doubt others
will have much more to add.

Cheers,

RB
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
[...]

Congratulations on your retirement. Rather than get the ideal boat upfront,
buy a lower cost "value" boat first. You'll probably make mistakes at first
(crashing into stuff, breaking things or doing something that leaves a
really big mark/gouge.) so get something you could walk away from. Make your
second boat count. Buy whatever is cheap and popular in your area. You can
easily resell it at a small loss and learn so much without fear of real
financial loss.

What destroyer were you on?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
All my life I've "dreamed" about retiring on a boat and sailing from here
to there, as the spirit moves me. However, my only experience is some
lake sailing, a little Gulf of Mexico experience, and four years on a
destroyer in the navy. And, except for a couple of years in the 90's,
most of my sailing was done 35 years ago.

I have now retired and I signed up for a series of ASA lessons at a school
in Kemah, TX, just to bone up and get my feet wet, but haven't started yet
due to Ike.

Definitely the right place to start.

[...]

I think any of these and there are others that would fill the bill. The only
way to know what suits you and what won't is to sail various types.

In addition to your list, I'd suggest looking at Sabre (my bias), C&C,
Pearson, Tartan. Perhaps Ericson. There's a long list.

Remember, even a "turnkey" boat is going to need maintenance, upgrades for
your requirements, insurance, etc., so you have to include those ideas when
you make your choice about cost. You can spend $50K and have to put $10K to
it. Or, you can spend a lot less and put more to it over time.

The other thing I'll say is that a boat in the 30' range isn't really great
as a live-aboard. Sure, it's doable, but if you go up to the 35-36' range,
you'll be a heck of a lot more comfortable, and of course, maintenance,
upgrades, etc., will also cost more. You need to consider the size of your
living space, including convenience issues if you want to be relatively
comfortable. We're all used to living in houses/apts., which are a heck of a
lot bigger.

A couple of years ago when I was looking for my boat, I came across a
Pearson 365 that was in amazing shape. I didn't think about it carefully
enough and was outbid. I don't regret the Sabre for various practical and
important reasons, but the Pearson was a good deal, even at the asking
price. As I recall it was $28K.. something like that.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message
[...]

Good advice. Maybe I can pick up something really cheap and disposable after
the hurricane.

USS Boyd DD544 '64 '65
USS Collett DD730 '65 '66
You?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

jlrogers±³© wrote:
All my life I've "dreamed" about retiring on a boat and sailing from here to
there, as the spirit moves me. However, my only experience is some lake
sailing, a little Gulf of Mexico experience, and four years on a destroyer
in the navy. *And, except for a couple of years in the 90's, most of my
sailing was done 35 years ago.

Actually, the Navy experience can be valuable. For example, the way
the Navy handles dock lines is far better than the way most cruisers
do. 'Dipping the eye' and apply chafe gear are just two examples.

I have now retired and I signed up for a series of ASA lessons at a school
in Kemah, TX, just to bone up and get my feet wet, but haven't started yet
due to Ike.

My plan is to take the lessons, join a sailing club, and spend some time
afloat to see if the passion dissolves in the salt spray.

That's an excellent plan, it can be fun too. You may find a berth
crewing on a passage or delivery; best way to see if you really like
it.

Assuming it doesn't, I will want to acquire a relatively inexpensive cruiser
for step 2. *I.e., learning to live aboard, maintain the boat, and sail
alone with confidence.

Singlehanding is over rated IMHO.

Contessa
Westerly (Konsort)
Endeavour 32 Plan A
Cape Dory
Crealock (Pacific Seacraft)
Island Packet

Any of those would be great boats *if* properly equipped & maintained.
The Cape Dory will be the least roomy, the Endeavor the most roomy.
The Crealock would be my pick for heavy weather sailing but then I'd
prefer to avoid bad weather offshore.

Don't underestimate the importance of draft. If you have a deep keel,
you will be locked out of many desirable places on the South East
coast. My preference is about 4' draft or less, but that will
necessitate either a centerboard (which is a maintenance item) or
severely compromising windward ability.

Another caveat- if you're looking into an older boat, the level of
maintenance & upgraded equipment will be far more important than the
brand name stamped on the coaming. It would be easy to spend $60k
outiftting a small cruising boat... and not necessarily getting any
"fancy stuff."

Island Packets are great boats... roomy, well built, good sailing
characteristics...
Cape Dories are built like tanks and good sea boats too. No core
worries!
Contessa 32 is a legendary boat

Which brings me to my question: *what boat would you recommend for the live
aboard trial? *Something no older that say 1983, between 28 and 35', a
sloop, that could be bought for no more than $60,000.

Aw heck, you can buy several for that price... the question is, what
will you have in it by the time you're satisfied with the condition &
equipment?

My suggestions-
-Consider a larger range of boats. There is no reason why a
singlehander could not handle & maintain a 35-footer as well as a 30
footer.
-Don't get hung up on "type of boat" until you have been actively
sailing on at least a dozen different ones (and you'll rack up
underway miles on different boats faster than you think, once you get
started). Instead, consider characteristics & features that you like
and that 'work for you.' It's a very personal choice.

As for boats....
Morgan 30 & Morgan 34
Soverel 30 (older model)
S2
Albin
Rival
Moody

Maybe a bit to racy, but it's an S&S ....guaranteed classic!
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1836713

While you're in Kemah, take a look at this one
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1930404

CS built some great boats
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1752699

The Caliber is a well-respected boat too...
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1965179

I mentioned Moody, they built good boats too. Here's one of the few
aft-cabin boats I like
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1615826

"Capt. Rob" wrote:
We have several "old timers" at our marina who set off now and again
with boats suitable for your plan.

Oh really? And did you ask them what they think, Bubbles?

Pearson 35....this old timer even came as a yawl and some were fit out
for blue water. A bargain, even when refit.

"Even came as a yawl" meaning what, exactly? Are yawls good?

..... No doubt others
will have much more to add.

No doubt. And there's a good reason why.

"Charles Momsen" wrote:
Congratulations on your retirement. Rather than get the ideal boat upfront,
buy a lower cost "value" boat first

He said he was retiring, not retiring in poverty with a big chip on
his shoulder.

More boats-

I'm not a big fan of wish-booms, but the cat-ketch rig is the easiest
to handle. IIRC these were built by Hinterhoeller
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1940305

Another one that's a bit on the racy side, but an awesome sailing boat
& comfortable enough for cruising
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1874738

Oh and take a look at some Ericsons, too.

There's a gazillion boats out there JL. It sounds like you're really
got a handle on putting yourself into the position you want, rather
than focussing on "buying a boat." Gathering info & skills, and making
contacts, is a very important part of the picture.

And if you find yourself in the coasstal Carolinas, by all means let
us know. you'd be very welcome and I can guarantee some sailing and
also meeting some long-term sailors who will be glad to talk.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Vic Smith wrote:
For deck apes, that'll work. *BT's waste a lot of time trying to light
off the sails.

I just consider the winches to be like valves....
"righty tighty, lefty loosey" *

I think the MMs might get confused though

DSK
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message

"Charles Momsen" wrote:
Congratulations on your retirement. Rather than get the ideal boat
upfront,
buy a lower cost "value" boat first

He said he was retiring, not retiring in poverty with a big chip on
his shoulder.

I get your point exactly there Doug, however you seemed to have missed mine.
JL may not have an MD as a wife to financially carry the load, he may have
actually raised children, or he may find that spending most of his time in a
30' fiberglass cocoon doesn't promote good health or vigorous exercise. How
many times does one see a fully decked out boat, a few years old, that some
retiree is selling because they found out they don't like sailing (once the
novelty wears off) or they suffered some physical injury (like a blown disc
from hauling an anchor the wrong way) or their health is failing? JL talked
about unknowns and uncertaintity regarding liveaboard and my advice was
weighted towards the possibility that he wanted to remain retired at a
standard of living acceptable to him. A "value" boat does not imply poverty
in the least, no more than testing a paint spray gun on a piece of cardboard
implies the mansion you are about to paint is a donkey shack. If JL lives
another 30 years, what is the opportunity cost of blowing an extra 25K now?
Is sailing more about the brand of boat or is it about the activity? If
it's the former then jump right aboard Bobsprit's tricked out vessel he's
got it all worked out. If it's the latter then cost is not a factor, whether
it is low or high. Expenses become a factor in the whole context of JL's
life which only he can determine himself. With the current financial
uncertainty and the prospects of some long term negative financial issues I
was simply offering an opinion that considered other factors. If you find my
financial conservatism offensive, I would suggest that you look inward to
find the source of the problem. It was your great circle trip that expenses
were logged down to the penny, schedules were kept to the minute. Several
here commented on your rigid, miserly bent. It seems my advice is congruent
with your ways and I'm sorry to have knocked that chip off of your shoulder.

Boat Handling Camper Cruising 12 July 14th 08 07:52 PM
Cargo handling Capt. Lewry ASA 3 July 15th 07 06:00 PM
Better Handling Capt. Rob ASA 10 November 2nd 05 09:48 PM
Crusiers 3370 1990 its me General 0 June 13th 05 03:52 AM
Pocket Crusiers Leanne Electronics 1 August 9th 04 06:30 AM