Default Boat Handling

Being relatively new to motor boating I intend to take some boat
handling training but wonder whether I'm being realistic & responible
enough intending to be able to handle a 25 ft motor vessel single
handed as far as mooring, etc is concerned.

"Camper" wrote in message
Being relatively new to motor boating I intend to take some boat
handling training but wonder whether I'm being realistic & responible
enough intending to be able to handle a 25 ft motor vessel single
handed as far as mooring, etc is concerned.

Like anything in life it depends on your level of skill and confidence.
Some folks can easily single-hand an 80' motor yacht, while others struggle
with much smaller vessels. It also depends on the conditions you expect to
encounter. Handling a boat on an inland lake is perhaps a bit easier that,
say, a place with widely varying tidal conditions and lots of exposure. But
in general it's fair to say a 25' boat wouldn't be difficult to single-hand.

In article ,
Camper wrote:
Being relatively new to motor boating I intend to take some boat
handling training but wonder whether I'm being realistic & responible
enough intending to be able to handle a 25 ft motor vessel single
handed as far as mooring, etc is concerned.

Not at all. Practice may not make perfect, but it'll make better.

Then, when you feel comfortable, try docking under sail alone.

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 06:57:28 -0700 (PDT), Camper
wrote:

Being relatively new to motor boating I intend to take some boat
handling training but wonder whether I'm being realistic & responible
enough intending to be able to handle a 25 ft motor vessel single
handed as far as mooring, etc is concerned.

There are some "tricks of the trade" that need to be learned, and many
of them are specific to the boat and your docking/mooring arrangement.
You can learn a lot by watching others with similar boats,
particularly the old timers who have been doing it for years.

In article ,
Bill Kearney wrote:

"Camper" wrote in message
Being relatively new to motor boating I intend to take some boat
handling training but wonder whether I'm being realistic & responible
enough intending to be able to handle a 25 ft motor vessel single
handed as far as mooring, etc is concerned.

Like anything in life it depends on your level of skill and confidence.
Some folks can easily single-hand an 80' motor yacht, while others struggle
with much smaller vessels. It also depends on the conditions you expect to
encounter. Handling a boat on an inland lake is perhaps a bit easier that,
say, a place with widely varying tidal conditions and lots of exposure. But
in general it's fair to say a 25' boat wouldn't be difficult to single-hand.

I agree. However, I've found that picking up a mooring with my 30 foot
sailboat was easier than doing the same with my Cal 20 when the wind was up. More
stable even if it was harder to reach the mooring ball.

... wonder whether I'm being realistic & responible
enough intending to be able to handle a 25 ft motor vessel single
handed as far as mooring, etc is concerned.

Not at all. Practice may not make perfect, but it'll make better.

I'm more concerned with backing up my trailer & boat (26'OA) into my
driveway than I am about docking boat.
Maybe the "practice" rule would even work better if I just wrangled the
trailer without the boat on it several times til I "get it right"

"Rudy" wrote in message

.. wonder whether I'm being realistic & responible
enough intending to be able to handle a 25 ft motor vessel single
handed as far as mooring, etc is concerned.

Not at all. Practice may not make perfect, but it'll make better.

I'm more concerned with backing up my trailer & boat (26'OA) into my
driveway than I am about docking boat.
Maybe the "practice" rule would even work better if I just wrangled the
trailer without the boat on it several times til I "get it right"

I'd recommend it. It's not hard to do right, but it's easy to do wrong.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Camper" wrote in message
Being relatively new to motor boating I intend to take some boat
handling training but wonder whether I'm being realistic & responible
enough intending to be able to handle a 25 ft motor vessel single
handed as far as mooring, etc is concerned.

You might want to download this info and study it...
http://trailerboats.com/output.cfm?id=1199251

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 20:21:17 GMT, "Rudy" wrote:

Since I ve been "out of boating" (trailering) for over 25 years, I'll
probably get the "wrongs" right before I get the "rights" backing that new
trailer/boat up
into its space.

Maybe the "practice" rule would even work better if I just wrangled the
trailer without the boat on it several times til I "get it right"

I'd recommend it. It's not hard to do right, but it's easy to do wrong.
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Just take your time. It'll work fine.

Boat Handling Movie Vic Smith General 10 November 26th 07 12:11 AM
Boat Handling Lochawe General 2 October 17th 05 03:53 PM
Boat Size, sailing, cruising, handling Bryan Cruising 18 September 23rd 05 07:58 PM
Needed: Boat Handling Instruction - SF Bay John Broadus Cruising 2 August 1st 04 02:13 AM
Need Boat Handling Instruction - SF Bay - John Broadus General 0 July 25th 04 03:01 AM