Jonathan Ganz Jonathan Ganz is offline

Default Boat Handling

In article ,
Bill Kearney wrote:

"Camper" wrote in message
Being relatively new to motor boating I intend to take some boat
handling training but wonder whether I'm being realistic & responible
enough intending to be able to handle a 25 ft motor vessel single
handed as far as mooring, etc is concerned.

Like anything in life it depends on your level of skill and confidence.
Some folks can easily single-hand an 80' motor yacht, while others struggle
with much smaller vessels. It also depends on the conditions you expect to
encounter. Handling a boat on an inland lake is perhaps a bit easier that,
say, a place with widely varying tidal conditions and lots of exposure. But
in general it's fair to say a 25' boat wouldn't be difficult to single-hand.

I agree. However, I've found that picking up a mooring with my 30 foot
sailboat was easier than doing the same with my Cal 20 when the wind was up. More
stable even if it was harder to reach the mooring ball.