Bryan

Default Boat Size, sailing, cruising, handling

Honestly guys, I gotta laugh at some of this advice. Many claim you can't
handle larger yachts without huge crew, exotic gear, and mega wallets. How
many folks here have lived on, sailed, docked, bought, or maintained 50
footers, 60 footers, or 70 footers? Look at the 60's racing non-stop around
the world by little girls.

Armond Perretta

Bryan wrote:
Honestly guys, I gotta laugh at some of this advice. Many claim you
can't handle larger yachts without huge crew, exotic gear, and mega
wallets. How many folks here have lived on, sailed, docked, bought,
or maintained 50 footers, 60 footers, or 70 footers? Look at the
60's racing non-stop around the world by little girls.

That's what most of us do. Look at 'em. BTW, do _you_ do anything
different?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Rosalie B.

"Bryan" wrote:

Honestly guys, I gotta laugh at some of this advice. Many claim you can't
handle larger yachts without huge crew, exotic gear, and mega wallets. How
many folks here have lived on, sailed, docked, bought, or maintained 50
footers, 60 footers, or 70 footers? Look at the 60's racing non-stop around
the world by little girls.

Two people isn't a huge crew. Going non-stop on a state of the art
racing boat is a vastly different type of sailing from going in and
out of a strange marina or anchorage every night with a second hand
heavier boat. And Ellen McD. deserves not to be called a little girl.
How condescending.

We have a boat which is called a 44, but really measures 50 feet.
We've lived on and docked and maintained this boat. It is really a
bit big for us to handle - can be done alone, but very difficult,
especially the docking part and especially with wind and/or current..

I don't think you need exotic gear and a mega wallet but IMO 50 feet
is the maximum that an older couple can handle themselves without
help, not to mention that the whole thing becomes way more expensive.

grandma Rosalie
mickey

Madame, I am 30 and my usual crew is younger. I do not consider myself
"older". I think 50 ft is aproaching the top limit. (I sail a CR38).
Of course, I do not think people buy 60 foot boats with the intent of
"downgrading" when they get "older". But at any rate. (I hope I do
not sound offended. I've read your postings with great respect.)

I do not think you have to consider what boat is too big for a crew of
two to handle. I think any "crew of two" should be able to at least
hobble somewhere single-handed. Things do not happen in isolation: if
something happens which disables one of your crew, chances are it also
may have disabled some part of your boat. Chances are the winds are
stiff and the seas are high. Chances are sea spray may have disabled
those push-button winches (did we replace those cables before we left
dock last time or did some head issue take precedence?)

Racing is another story altogether. I (used to) go four-wheel-driving
in remote places. A lot of 4wd people like to point at the stuff
racing cars, winners of derbys etc, put on their cars. I learned then:
racing equipment is designed to last as long as the race, and no
longer. Racers cannot afford the extra weight associated with
heavily-built, long-lasting equipment. When racing, your objective is
not to get from point A to point B. (Many cruisers have done so, after
all.) Your objective is to get ther first. What happens afterwards
does not matter. When cruising on the other hand, it is not sufficient
to get to poitn B. You plan to then be on your way to point C, point
D, etc. (How many racers live on their boats?)

(I do not mean to distract from the racers. I just hope to show that
the objectives are differnet, the equipment are more different. (note
here that another objective of racing is to make money, if only enough
to fund your next race. Cruisers do not expect to make money on their
cruisng.) And Ms. Ellen McD. has won very much respect from me, fwiw.)

But to my original point: when all is well and all your crew is at
100%, then we all may be able to handle a 60-footer with a crew of two.
But most crusing folks I've talked to, from 30 to I-don't-dare-guess,
have a story of an illness: Crew 1 had a bad shoulder; Crew 2 was
feverish. Crew 1 got seasick; crew 2(autopilot/vane) gave up; I've
myself been both feverish and seasick.

M. Bryan, I would be very interested to know of your acquaintances who
live aboard, and cruise, aboard a 50, 60, or 70 footer. I hope to be
able to do so; I hope to learn something from them.

Always learning.

-Y

Rosalie B.

The OP was Bryan, and I thought it was his first name and I assumed he
was a male person because most of the people here are. He was the one
who said

I gotta laugh at some of this advice. Many claim you can't
handle larger yachts without huge crew, exotic gear, and mega wallets. How
many folks here have lived on, sailed, docked, bought, or maintained 50
footers, 60 footers, or 70 footers? Look at the 60's racing non-stop around
the world by little girls.

I was disputing that.

So I'm confused as to whether you are disagreeing with me or with
Bryan? It sounds like you agree with me. You aren't an older couple,
but you seem to agree with me that racing is not the same as cruising
and that 50 ft is approaching the top limit.

"mickey" wrote:

[...]

Bryan

Well, Isabelle and Ellen are little girls, so is my wife, she weighs 120
pounds. They do not bench 350 pounds and will never be stronger or bigger
than most guys. That said, they are great sailors with substantial
acomplishment, more than I will ever achieve. They also sail very large
boats with no power winches, huge rigs, in very demanding conditions. So
if these girls can sail large boats, why can't a couple cruise a 50, 60, or
70 footer as a team? When cruisng you have the benefit of going in good
weather versus racing when you leave when the race starts. What exotic gear
is on a Vendee that is not on a typical cruising boat?

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
Bryan wrote:
Honestly guys, I gotta laugh at some of this advice. Many claim you
can't handle larger yachts without huge crew, exotic gear, and mega
wallets. How many folks here have lived on, sailed, docked, bought,
or maintained 50 footers, 60 footers, or 70 footers? Look at the
60's racing non-stop around the world by little girls.

That's what most of us do. Look at 'em. BTW, do _you_ do anything
different?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

I don't think you need exotic gear and a mega wallet but IMO 50 feet
is the maximum that an older couple can handle themselves without
help, not to mention that the whole thing becomes way more expensive

I tend to agree. My wife and I are presently living and cruising on a
50 footer. I wouldn't want to handle or maintain a boat much larger,
and frankly don't see any need to, unless you have professional crew to
house or a large family.

Denis Marier

Most of the information on this thread is interesting.
I do not mean to insult anyone but age has nothing to do with your
capabilities to handle a large size boat. I would suggest that it should
read "depending on your skill and physical condition". I have seen seventy
years of age and older couples handling, in calm and heavy weather, large
boat better than 30 years old couples.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't think you need exotic gear and a mega wallet but IMO 50 feet
is the maximum that an older couple can handle themselves without
help, not to mention that the whole thing becomes way more expensive

I tend to agree. My wife and I are presently living and cruising on a
50 footer. I wouldn't want to handle or maintain a boat much larger,
and frankly don't see any need to, unless you have professional crew to
house or a large family.

Rosalie B.

"Bryan" wrote:

Well, Isabelle and Ellen are little girls, so is my wife, she weighs 120
pounds. They do not bench 350 pounds and will never be stronger or bigger

You can call your wife a girl if you want to, but I don't think
Isabelle and Ellen are actually little girls. They are little or
small or petite women. I don't see what benching 350 lbs has to do
with anything. I don't think my husband can do that either, and
neither can most men (or boys).

than most guys. That said, they are great sailors with substantial
acomplishment, more than I will ever achieve. They also sail very large
boats with no power winches, huge rigs, in very demanding conditions. So
if these girls can sail large boats, why can't a couple cruise a 50, 60, or
70 footer as a team? When cruisng you have the benefit of going in good

If something happens to one of the team the weaker member should be
able to handle the boat alone.

weather versus racing when you leave when the race starts. What exotic gear

If you are doing a long passage, you probably are going to run into
weather regardless of when you leave or how carefully you watch the
weather.

is on a Vendee that is not on a typical cruising boat?

They have better communication gear and someone is monitoring their
progress.

Bryan wrote:
Honestly guys, I gotta laugh at some of this advice. Many claim you
can't handle larger yachts without huge crew, exotic gear, and mega
wallets. How many folks here have lived on, sailed, docked, bought,
or maintained 50 footers, 60 footers, or 70 footers? Look at the
60's racing non-stop around the world by little girls.

That's what most of us do. Look at 'em. BTW, do _you_ do anything
different?

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat
http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydeare

grandma Rosalie
Rosalie B.

"Denis Marier" wrote:

Most of the information on this thread is interesting.
I do not mean to insult anyone but age has nothing to do with your
capabilities to handle a large size boat. I would suggest that it should
read "depending on your skill and physical condition". I have seen seventy
years of age and older couples handling, in calm and heavy weather, large
boat better than 30 years old couples.

I agree, and I also do not think that power assisted gear is necessary
at least for a 50 foot boat. We don't have a power windlass, and we
don't have any power winches either. If I was going to single-hand,
I'd probably want a power winch to sail her, but probably I would get
a smaller boat instead.

wrote in message
roups.com...
I don't think you need exotic gear and a mega wallet but IMO 50 feet
is the maximum that an older couple can handle themselves without
help, not to mention that the whole thing becomes way more expensive

I tend to agree. My wife and I are presently living and cruising on a
50 footer. I wouldn't want to handle or maintain a boat much larger,
and frankly don't see any need to, unless you have professional crew to
house or a large family.

grandma Rosalie

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 September 29th 04 05:19 AM
Dictionary of Paddling Terms :-) Mike McCrea General 3 June 30th 04 11:52 PM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM