posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default single handling crusiers

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

wrote in message

"Charles Momsen" wrote:

How many times does one see a fully decked out boat, a few years old,
that some retiree is selling because they found out they don't like
sailing (once the novelty wears off) or they suffered some physical
injury (like a blown disc from hauling an anchor the wrong way) or their
health is failing?

That is the boat I'll be looking for.

That type of boat is a great value. Someone else took the hit on the
depreciation, you're in a position of strength negotiating price and the
boat is lightly used. You might look inland and up north. I've seen a number
of large boats used in lakes in the Rockies going at fire sale prices. They
aren't listed with brokers, try Craigslist.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

..... Expenses become a factor in the whole context of JL's
life which only he can determine himself.

Economics is a factor, isn't it always? A year ago when I gave my
notice, my retirement budget was 20% greater than it is today. Current
economic conditions have made me a lot more conservative.

I'm really sorry if I said anything bad to reflect upon you, I didn't mean
it. I was just giving a slightly outside of the box opinion. I hope things
pick up for you and all works out to exceed your expectations.

Lighten up, I too believe in being careful with one's resources. I don't
have a six figure retirement income, but it is still more than the average
household income. Plus, I was a consultant for thirty-five years and still
have clients wanting me to do things for them. It's just at this point
there aren't too many requests that I want to do.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message

"Charles Momsen" wrote:

How many times does one see a fully decked out boat, a few years old,
that some retiree is selling because they found out they don't like
sailing (once the novelty wears off) or they suffered some physical
injury (like a blown disc from hauling an anchor the wrong way) or their
health is failing?

That is the boat I'll be looking for.

That type of boat is a great value. Someone else took the hit on the
depreciation, you're in a position of strength negotiating price and the
boat is lightly used. You might look inland and up north. I've seen a
number of large boats used in lakes in the Rockies going at fire sale
prices. They aren't listed with brokers, try Craigslist.

Thanks' for the tip. Have never used Craigslist.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message

"Charles Momsen" wrote:

How many times does one see a fully decked out boat, a few years old,
that some retiree is selling because they found out they don't like
sailing (once the novelty wears off) or they suffered some physical
injury (like a blown disc from hauling an anchor the wrong way) or
their health is failing?

That is the boat I'll be looking for.

That type of boat is a great value. Someone else took the hit on the
depreciation, you're in a position of strength negotiating price and the
boat is lightly used. You might look inland and up north. I've seen a
number of large boats used in lakes in the Rockies going at fire sale
prices. They aren't listed with brokers, try Craigslist.

Thanks' for the tip. Have never used Craigslist.

I have had all good experiences with Craigslist, especially with boats. They
aren't bid through the roof like eBay, aren't marked up by brokers and you
actually meet the owner. I haven't figured out how to search the whole US on
Craigslist (don't know if its even possible, if it is it's probably really
obvious so that's why I missed it) so you will have to go state by state or
city by city. If you figure out how to search nationally, let me know. Good
luck and I'm glad to be of assistance. If you do figure out exactly what you
want, also let me know because I visit odd backwaters, you'd be surprised
what people let go for a mere song and your dream may be sitting there
behind some old shed.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
jlrogers±³© wrote:
All my life I've "dreamed" about retiring on a boat and sailing from here
there, as the spirit moves me. However, my only experience is some lake
sailing, a little Gulf of Mexico experience, and four years on a destroyer
in the navy. And, except for a couple of years in the 90's, most of my
sailing was done 35 years ago.

Actually, the Navy experience can be valuable. For example, the way
the Navy handles dock lines is far better than the way most cruisers
do. 'Dipping the eye' and apply chafe gear are just two examples.

I have now retired and I signed up for a series of ASA lessons at a school
in Kemah, TX, just to bone up and get my feet wet, but haven't started yet
due to Ike.

My plan is to take the lessons, join a sailing club, and spend some time
afloat to see if the passion dissolves in the salt spray.

That's an excellent plan, it can be fun too. You may find a berth
crewing on a passage or delivery; best way to see if you really like
it.

Assuming it doesn't, I will want to acquire a relatively inexpensive
cruiser
for step 2. I.e., learning to live aboard, maintain the boat, and sail
alone with confidence.

Singlehanding is over rated IMHO.

Contessa
Westerly (Konsort)
Endeavour 32 Plan A
Cape Dory
Crealock (Pacific Seacraft)
Island Packet

Any of those would be great boats *if* properly equipped & maintained.
The Cape Dory will be the least roomy, the Endeavor the most roomy.
The Crealock would be my pick for heavy weather sailing but then I'd
prefer to avoid bad weather offshore.

Don't underestimate the importance of draft. If you have a deep keel,
you will be locked out of many desirable places on the South East
coast. My preference is about 4' draft or less, but that will
necessitate either a centerboard (which is a maintenance item) or
severely compromising windward ability.

Another caveat- if you're looking into an older boat, the level of
maintenance & upgraded equipment will be far more important than the
brand name stamped on the coaming. It would be easy to spend $60k
outiftting a small cruising boat... and not necessarily getting any
"fancy stuff."

Island Packets are great boats... roomy, well built, good sailing
characteristics...
Cape Dories are built like tanks and good sea boats too. No core
worries!
Contessa 32 is a legendary boat

Which brings me to my question: what boat would you recommend for the live
aboard trial? Something no older that say 1983, between 28 and 35', a
sloop, that could be bought for no more than $60,000.

Aw heck, you can buy several for that price... the question is, what
will you have in it by the time you're satisfied with the condition &
equipment?

My suggestions-
-Consider a larger range of boats. There is no reason why a
singlehander could not handle & maintain a 35-footer as well as a 30
footer.
-Don't get hung up on "type of boat" until you have been actively
sailing on at least a dozen different ones (and you'll rack up
underway miles on different boats faster than you think, once you get
started). Instead, consider characteristics & features that you like
and that 'work for you.' It's a very personal choice.

As for boats....
Morgan 30 & Morgan 34
Soverel 30 (older model)
S2
Albin
Rival
Moody

Maybe a bit to racy, but it's an S&S ....guaranteed classic!
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1836713

While you're in Kemah, take a look at this one
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1930404

CS built some great boats
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1752699

The Caliber is a well-respected boat too...
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1965179

I mentioned Moody, they built good boats too. Here's one of the few
aft-cabin boats I like
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1615826

"Capt. Rob" wrote:
We have several "old timers" at our marina who set off now and again
with boats suitable for your plan.

Oh really? And did you ask them what they think, Bubbles?

Pearson 35....this old timer even came as a yawl and some were fit out
for blue water. A bargain, even when refit.

"Even came as a yawl" meaning what, exactly? Are yawls good?

..... No doubt others
will have much more to add.

No doubt. And there's a good reason why.

"Charles Momsen" wrote:
Congratulations on your retirement. Rather than get the ideal boat
upfront,
buy a lower cost "value" boat first

He said he was retiring, not retiring in poverty with a big chip on
his shoulder.

More boats-

I'm not a big fan of wish-booms, but the cat-ketch rig is the easiest
to handle. IIRC these were built by Hinterhoeller
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1940305

Another one that's a bit on the racy side, but an awesome sailing boat
& comfortable enough for cruising
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1874738

Oh and take a look at some Ericsons, too.

There's a gazillion boats out there JL. It sounds like you're really
got a handle on putting yourself into the position you want, rather
than focussing on "buying a boat." Gathering info & skills, and making
contacts, is a very important part of the picture.

And if you find yourself in the coasstal Carolinas, by all means let
us know. you'd be very welcome and I can guarantee some sailing and
also meeting some long-term sailors who will be glad to talk.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thanks Doug. I appreciate the time you took to reply. I will look at a lot
of boats. What else do I have to do now? Isn't it great?

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charles Momsen" wrote:
I have had all good experiences with Craigslist, especially with boats. They
aren't bid through the roof like eBay, aren't marked up by brokers and you
actually meet the owner. I haven't figured out how to search the whole US on
Craigslist (don't know if its even possible,

http://www.craigshelper.com/

It's a bit awkward, but less tedious than a city-by-city search

DSK
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"jlrogers±³©" wrote:

Thanks Doug. *I appreciate the time you took to reply. *I will look at a lot
of boats. *What else do I have to do now? *Isn't it great?

Yep, life is good.

And the markets will stabilize & return to some normalcy... just can't
say exactly when!

Boat shopping is a heck of a lot of fun- enjoy!

DSK
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
"Charles Momsen" wrote:
I have had all good experiences with Craigslist, especially with boats.
They
aren't bid through the roof like eBay, aren't marked up by brokers and
you
actually meet the owner. I haven't figured out how to search the whole US
on
Craigslist (don't know if its even possible,

http://www.craigshelper.com/

It's a bit awkward, but less tedious than a city-by-city search

DSK

Much appreciation for assistance rendered!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:38:13 -0500, jlrogers±³©
wrote:

All my life I've "dreamed" about retiring on a boat and sailing from here to
there, as the spirit moves me. However, my only experience is some lake
sailing, a little Gulf of Mexico experience, and four years on a destroyer
in the navy. And, except for a couple of years in the 90's, most of my
sailing was done 35 years ago.

I have now retired and I signed up for a series of ASA lessons at a school
in Kemah, TX, just to bone up and get my feet wet, but haven't started yet
due to Ike.

My plan is to take the lessons, join a sailing club, and spend some time
afloat to see if the passion dissolves in the salt spray.

Assuming it doesn't, I will want to acquire a relatively inexpensive cruiser
for step 2. I.e., learning to live aboard, maintain the boat, and sail
alone with confidence.

At one time I owned a thirty footer, but never lived aboard, and most of the
maintenance was bought and paid for. I like all of the following, but
remember my experience is day sailing, for the most part, and I'm completely
ignorant of the requirements, stresses, and needs of the live aboard.

Contessa
Westerly (Konsort)
Endeavour 32 Plan A
Cape Dory
Crealock (Pacific Seacraft)
Island Packet

Which brings me to my question: what boat would you recommend for the live
aboard trial? Something no older that say 1983, between 28 and 35', a
sloop, that could be bought for no more than $60,000.

Congratulations on posting the only on topic thread in many days.

You need to be more specific about your plans. Do you plan to live in
Kemah and mostly sail in the upper gulf, or maybe west coast of
florida? If so, you should consider something shallow draft maybe a
keel/CB such as a Tartan 37 that would allow you entry to many more
coves, islands, creeks off the ICC, etc.

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Charles Momsen wrote:
"jlrogers±³©" wrote in message

All my life I've "dreamed" about retiring on a boat and sailing from here
to there, as the spirit moves me. However, my only experience is some

--

jlrogers±³©

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt

"Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little security shall
soon have neither." Benjamin Franklin

Congratulations on your retirement. Rather than get the ideal boat upfront,
buy a lower cost "value" boat first. You'll probably make mistakes at first
(crashing into stuff, breaking things or doing something that leaves a
really big mark/gouge.) so get something you could walk away from. Make your
second boat count. Buy whatever is cheap and popular in your area. You can
easily resell it at a small loss and learn so much without fear of real
financial loss.

The previous suggestion (don't buy an "ideal boat" upfront) is a good
one IMO. If you intend to liveaboard, I would also suggest something a
little larger than 30 feet. I think your plan to charter various boats
will give you a good idea of what's involved and what type and size boat
you may prefer.

I'm also near Kemah, and I can verify that in this area you will find
many boats of all genries for far less than $60,000. (Try $15,000 -
$30,000 for 30-35 ft. boats that would be ready to sail with minor
cleanup or upgrades.). Have it surveyed, of course. - IMO, in this
price range the condition of the boat is almost as important as the
model/maker. And although I agree that Sabres, Endeavours, Island
Packets, Tartans, Valiants, etc., are great boats, if you insist on
getting one of these "ideal" boats, you may end up paying twice as much
as you would for other boats of a the same size and condition that would
be comfortable and that you would also enjoy sailing. - It's your
choice, of course.

Incidentally, my boat (a 26 ft. MacGregor) had no damage from the
hurricane, and you would be welcome to go out with me anytime this Fall.

Jim

Boat Handling Camper Cruising 12 July 14th 08 07:52 PM
Cargo handling Capt. Lewry ASA 3 July 15th 07 06:00 PM
Better Handling Capt. Rob ASA 10 November 2nd 05 09:48 PM
Crusiers 3370 1990 its me General 0 June 13th 05 03:52 AM
Pocket Crusiers Leanne Electronics 1 August 9th 04 06:30 AM