posted to alt.sailing.asa
Charles Momsen Charles Momsen is offline

Default single handling crusiers

wrote in message

"Charles Momsen" wrote:
Congratulations on your retirement. Rather than get the ideal boat
upfront,
buy a lower cost "value" boat first

He said he was retiring, not retiring in poverty with a big chip on
his shoulder.

I get your point exactly there Doug, however you seemed to have missed mine.
JL may not have an MD as a wife to financially carry the load, he may have
actually raised children, or he may find that spending most of his time in a
30' fiberglass cocoon doesn't promote good health or vigorous exercise. How
many times does one see a fully decked out boat, a few years old, that some
retiree is selling because they found out they don't like sailing (once the
novelty wears off) or they suffered some physical injury (like a blown disc
from hauling an anchor the wrong way) or their health is failing? JL talked
about unknowns and uncertaintity regarding liveaboard and my advice was
weighted towards the possibility that he wanted to remain retired at a
standard of living acceptable to him. A "value" boat does not imply poverty
in the least, no more than testing a paint spray gun on a piece of cardboard
implies the mansion you are about to paint is a donkey shack. If JL lives
another 30 years, what is the opportunity cost of blowing an extra 25K now?
Is sailing more about the brand of boat or is it about the activity? If
it's the former then jump right aboard Bobsprit's tricked out vessel he's
got it all worked out. If it's the latter then cost is not a factor, whether
it is low or high. Expenses become a factor in the whole context of JL's
life which only he can determine himself. With the current financial
uncertainty and the prospects of some long term negative financial issues I
was simply offering an opinion that considered other factors. If you find my
financial conservatism offensive, I would suggest that you look inward to
find the source of the problem. It was your great circle trip that expenses
were logged down to the penny, schedules were kept to the minute. Several
here commented on your rigid, miserly bent. It seems my advice is congruent
with your ways and I'm sorry to have knocked that chip off of your shoulder.