posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Duty, Honor, Safety

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 13, 6:55 pm, "Seahag" wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote:
"roger" wrote:
Isn't everyone legally liable for their wake? I thought
that you
could sue if you suffered an injury but I don't know.
Who knows, maybe there was a medical emergency or
something.

Yup.. you got it right.

While I feel for the guy, seems like he should have reported
it to the proper authorities instead of bad-mouthing the
boat all over the internet.

Seahag

Thanks Seahag, but why not do both, as I am in fact doing? I'm not
sure if you are saying it's wrong of me to mention his disregard
publicly, but that is exactly what my intent was, and is.
And as I said in the OP, I am reporting this to the Coast Gaurd. In
the meantime, it seems like fair game for discussion in this group,
since it sure seamed like a sailboat was something to be disdained, at
least to this captain. I have to put up with the typical wakes which
sometimes play havoc with the balance of my rig, but a 5 foot wave
from 30 feet away needs somebody to stand up and be heard.
B John Law

I think it makes you look less professional, thus suspect. I don't think
it really adds any value to the complaint and it sounds like griping, even
though you're right about, well, being right, according to what you said
happened. Of course, without us all being there, we only have your word
for it, but since you're publically slamming the company, it dilutes your
credibility.

I should keep it a secret? I don't get that reasoning.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

{snipped}

I think it makes you look less professional, thus suspect. I don't think
it really adds any value to the complaint and it sounds like griping,
even though you're right about, well, being right, according to what you
said happened. Of course, without us all being there, we only have your
word for it, but since you're publically slamming the company, it dilutes
your credibility.

I should keep it a secret? I don't get that reasoning.

By the way JG, the company has not even bothered to respond to my complaint.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 13, 6:55 pm, "Seahag" wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote:
"roger" wrote:
[...]

No... but a rant doesn't make the complainer look better. I think they
should be reported. One angry person on the newsgroup (we only have one
right?) isn't going to change anyone's opinion IMHO. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

{snipped}

I think it makes you look less professional, thus suspect. I don't think
it really adds any value to the complaint and it sounds like griping,
even though you're right about, well, being right, according to what you
said happened. Of course, without us all being there, we only have your
word for it, but since you're publically slamming the company, it
dilutes your credibility.

I should keep it a secret? I don't get that reasoning.

By the way JG, the company has not even bothered to respond to my
complaint.

Ah, well, since it's you... :-) I doubt they would. The only thing you can
do that will likely be effective is to report them to the authorities...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

{snipped}

I think it makes you look less professional, thus suspect. I don't
think it really adds any value to the complaint and it sounds like
griping, even though you're right about, well, being right, according
to what you said happened. Of course, without us all being there, we
only have your word for it, but since you're publically slamming the
company, it dilutes your credibility.

I should keep it a secret? I don't get that reasoning.

By the way JG, the company has not even bothered to respond to my
complaint.

Ah, well, since it's you... :-) I doubt they would. The only thing you can
do that will likely be effective is to report them to the authorities...

Thanks JG - I've used two long standing nom de plumes here, with only the
Coast Guard getting my real info.
I'm pretty ****ed about the whole incident, as you can see, and I intend to
push it until they agree to make a change. There were boats smaller than
mine in their wake; I saw others hanging on for dear life as they sped past.
It's not right. I don't get shaken up easily but this was real close and
really threw us around for no good reason.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
"Scout" wrote in message
. ..
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
{snipped}

[...]

I hear ya... In our case, it was about 5:30pm and they were late for
dinner... bozos... gave us and another boat the finger when we were
gesturing wildly at them... didn't slow down, didn't move an inch.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 13, 8:06 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Scout" wrote in message

"Scout" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in message

{snipped}

I think it makes you look less professional, thus suspect. I don't think
it really adds any value to the complaint and it sounds like griping,
even though you're right about, well, being right, according to what you
said happened. Of course, without us all being there, we only have your
word for it, but since you're publically slamming the company, it
dilutes your credibility.

I should keep it a secret? I don't get that reasoning.

By the way JG, the company has not even bothered to respond to my
complaint.

Ah, well, since it's you... :-) I doubt they would. The only thing you can
do that will likely be effective is to report them to the authorities...

--
"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

What.... to the Harbor master like you did Jon? Hardly the
authorities..call the USCG. If anyone was injured a hearing will have
to be conducted and the operator could loose his ticket.

As a boat captain, regardless of the size of your vessel, you are
responsible for your wake. That includes any damages that occur as a
result of your wake, regardless of whether you had the right of way or
the location.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Aug 13, 8:06 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Scout" wrote in message

"Scout" wrote in message
"Capt. JG" wrote in message
{snipped}

[...]

Joe, the harbor master controls the slips in our marina. He fields
complaints. Calling the CG after the fact probably won't do much unless
there's damage or injury.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

JURY DUTY scbafreak via BoatKB.com ASA 0 February 7th 07 10:25 PM
In honor of the season and... Reggie Smithers General 0 December 23rd 05 01:08 AM
OT Medal of Honor thunder ASA 5 August 9th 04 04:50 AM
Burial duty Parallax Boat Building 2 June 20th 04 02:51 PM