posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Duty, Honor, Safety

To the 8/12/07 Captain of the Miss Beach Haven:

I've sailed and motored the waters between Sandy Hook and Cape May for
5 decades and I've rarely seen such an inconsiderate act as I saw on
the morning of Sunday, August 12, when the Miss Beach Haven, with
complete disregard for the safety of others, steamed through the very
narrow channel near Goosebar Sedge, throwing so much water so closely
to us that you caused an injury to my crew when she fell in the
galley.

With a decent Westerly breeze, we were making good way South on a beam
reach, and were flowing with traffic, not tacking across the channel
(i.e., I was not in your way). When I saw you bearing down on us at
such a high speed, I was forced to fire up my engine, get out of the
channel, and circle around to meet your enormous wake, which had I
allowed it to broadside us, could have easily caused a more severe
injury to my crew.

I will not forget your ignorance or your lack of empathy for the small
boater in a narrow channel. The captain of a ship your size is morally
obligated to consider the safety of those around you, but you did not
in any way show consideration for the safety of my family and crew. I
must now take action, and will make it a point to watch and video tape
you. I will also report this and any further safety incidents to the
U.S. Coastguard. You leave a trail of enemies and damage in the wake
of your carelessness, and I will spread the word of your incompetence
far and wide around LBI and Southern New Jersey.

Whoever captained Miss Beach Haven that day is a disgrace to his title
and his license.
http://www.missbeachhaven.com/

B.J. Law
Captain, Sailor, and not one who soon forgets those who would hurt or
jeopardize the safety of others.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 13, 4:03 am, wrote:
[...]

B.J. Law;

Well done. I'd send a copy to your local newspapers as well. To bad
you did not have a camera to take picks. Find where he advertises and
run an ad telling what he did.

If the boat is owned and operated by the same person someone really
mad might go out on his charter and see just how many things he could
screw up. He might start by flushing a whole roll of toilet paper in
the head clogging that up. Vomit in the passangers lounge, Hook the
bait boy. Bust out a window in the wheel house with a heavy lead
fishing weight while casting, deploy the liferaft, epirb, and see if
you can drop a dock line so it fouls in the props, cut loose his
fenders, use a sharp knife on anything like seats cushions ect, find
the thermostst and set it on full heat then remove it's dial.

No excuse for some stupid throttle jockey to whip a wake on anyone.
No matter where you are you are responsiable for your wake.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

We had a somewhat similar incident (no engine available however) a year or
so ago in the Richardson Bay channel with one of the local fishing charter
boats.. big wake, steaming very close, not following the rules of the road.
I reported the incident to the harbor master. He gave them a warning with
one-more-report-and-you're-out language. I doubt this is MBH's first time.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Isn't everyone legally liable for their wake? I thought that you
could sue if you suffered an injury but I don't know.
Who knows, maybe there was a medical emergency or something.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Isn't everyone legally liable for their wake? I thought that you
could sue if you suffered an injury but I don't know.
Who knows, maybe there was a medical emergency or something.

Yup.. you got it right.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote:
"roger" wrote:
Isn't everyone legally liable for their wake? I thought
that you
could sue if you suffered an injury but I don't know.
Who knows, maybe there was a medical emergency or
something.

Yup.. you got it right.

While I feel for the guy, seems like he should have reported
it to the proper authorities instead of bad-mouthing the
boat all over the internet.

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 13, 6:55 pm, "Seahag" wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote:
"roger" wrote:
Isn't everyone legally liable for their wake? I thought
that you
could sue if you suffered an injury but I don't know.
Who knows, maybe there was a medical emergency or
something.

Yup.. you got it right.

While I feel for the guy, seems like he should have reported
it to the proper authorities instead of bad-mouthing the
boat all over the internet.

Seahag

Thanks Seahag, but why not do both, as I am in fact doing? I'm not
sure if you are saying it's wrong of me to mention his disregard
publicly, but that is exactly what my intent was, and is.
And as I said in the OP, I am reporting this to the Coast Gaurd. In
the meantime, it seems like fair game for discussion in this group,
since it sure seamed like a sailboat was something to be disdained, at
least to this captain. I have to put up with the typical wakes which
sometimes play havoc with the balance of my rig, but a 5 foot wave
from 30 feet away needs somebody to stand up and be heard.
B John Law

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:23:00 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote this crap:

We had a somewhat similar incident (no engine available however) a year or
so ago in the Richardson Gay channel with one of the local fishing charter
boats.. big wake, steaming very close, not following the rules of the road.
I reported the incident to the harbor master.

How very gay of you.

I'm Horvath and I approve of this post.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Seahag" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote:
"roger" wrote:
Isn't everyone legally liable for their wake? I thought that you
could sue if you suffered an injury but I don't know.
Who knows, maybe there was a medical emergency or something.

Yup.. you got it right.

While I feel for the guy, seems like he should have reported it to the
proper authorities instead of bad-mouthing the boat all over the internet.

Seahag

I agree... it kinda diminishes the incident.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 13, 6:55 pm, "Seahag" wrote:
"Capt. JG" wrote:
"roger" wrote:
[...]

I think it makes you look less professional, thus suspect. I don't think it
really adds any value to the complaint and it sounds like griping, even
though you're right about, well, being right, according to what you said
happened. Of course, without us all being there, we only have your word for
it, but since you're publically slamming the company, it dilutes your
credibility.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

JURY DUTY scbafreak via BoatKB.com ASA 0 February 7th 07 10:25 PM
In honor of the season and... Reggie Smithers General 0 December 23rd 05 01:08 AM
OT Medal of Honor thunder ASA 5 August 9th 04 04:50 AM
Burial duty Parallax Boat Building 2 June 20th 04 02:51 PM