posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Ghost and the Sea Wolf

A good flick. 3 stars

http://www.stairstars.com/dyn/detail.php?listingid=36

Was on the tube last night, I'm guessing this is the ship Rob named
his rock basher Ghost after.

Cool story, but like Rob lacking in everything realistic about
sailing. All fluff and fake when it came to seamanship and nautical
knowledge.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Cool story, but like Rob lacking in everything realistic about
sailing.

LOL! Joe thinks London's The Sea Wolf had a "cool story." It's no
wonder that Joe sees the world in such two dimensional fashion.
Great weather here...I'm off for a sail at 1:00. Then sailing again
Friday eve, Saturday and Sunday. I'm all set to post videos again so
stand by for some actual sailing!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 6, 10:40 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
Cool story, but like Rob lacking in everything realistic about
sailing.

LOL! Joe thinks London's The Sea Wolf had a "cool story." It's no
wonder that Joe sees the world in such two dimensional fashion.
Great weather here...I'm off for a sail at 1:00. Then sailing again
Friday eve, Saturday and Sunday. I'm all set to post videos again so
stand by for some actual sailing!

RB
35s5
NY

No dumbass the movie was cool. Yet it lacked a good director with any
nautical knowledge. Did you direct it?

Do you see yourself as the Captain Wolf Larson type when you call
yourself Captain?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

No dumbass the movie was cool. Yet it lacked a good director with any
nautical knowledge.

You wrote "cool story" NOT "cool movie." You're so stupid and lacking
in a fundamental education, you practically scream it with every post.
As for the director of The Sea Wolf, a movie not at all about sailing,
it was directed by Michael Curtiz who also made such little films as
Casablanca, We're No Angels, and Yankee Doodle Dandy. It was written
by Robert Rossen who also worked on The Hustler and A Walk in the Sun.
Now if you want more nautical texture then try reading the book, or
have someone read it to you. In the meantime you'd do well to avoid
talking about subjects you know little about...such as film and
sailing.
The Sea Wolf by Curtiz remains the finest adaptation of the story,
though there are quite a few changes from the original.
On the other hand Joe's idiocy remains unchanged.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 6, 11:19 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
No dumbass the movie was cool. Yet it lacked a good director with any
nautical knowledge.

The Sea Wolf by Curtiz remains the finest adaptation of the story,

I guess for you lubber types it's easy to get past the fact one
person is sailing and manning watches on a 100+ ft clipper ship, and
that the entire flik is lacking any actual working the ship underway
(yet the whole story is underway). That and the cheap stage prop of a
ship destroys the story for anyone with any nautical knowledge.

Yes Rob "Nautical Texture" was key to this story. Unlike you some
people who watch stories of a ships Captain and crew like a bit of
"Nautical Texture" in that type of story. I know for a director and
Captain of your quality it's a small detail that you would easily
overlook.

Joe

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I guess for you lubber types it's easy to get past the fact one
person is sailing and manning watches on a 100+ ft clipper ship, and
that the entire flik is lacking any actual working the ship underway
(yet the whole story is underway). That and the cheap stage prop of a
ship destroys the story for anyone with any nautical knowledge.

The Sea Wolf "prop" was a huge undertaking, built both for realism,
mood and functional interplay for specific camera work. I recall
reading that it took 70 or 80 people to build her. Curtiz chose to
make the Ghost into a "Ghost ship" by making an unrealistic choice in
keeping crew off the decks and shots. For many scenes he wanted the
Ghost to appear this way. This is discussed in his bio, The Casablanca
man. Of course it was well noted at the time for it's unique moody
approach to the tale. Curtiz knew what he was doing and understood the
focus on the story. He was an artist first and foremost and didn't
worry about how many folks might be on watch when it might compromise
his vision. The Sea Wolf remains one of Curtiz most beloved films and
only a simp would be watching for nautical errors in what is
essentiall a filmed play. You probably saw the colorized version since
B&W is not how we see the world and that's also very unrealistic!
Again, have someone read the book to you.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 6, 12:04 pm, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
[...]

It was the black and white version, first time I've seen it. Again
the story, and acting skills of Edward G. Robinson made it a 3 star
movie and worth the watch.

However had Curtiz not been a total lubber like you he could have told
the same story and made it much more to the liking of a true mariner
like Jack London.

Take Victor Fleming's Captains Courageous. Now there is a 4 star film
thats portrays mariners in a realistic way. Also a good lesson to
spoiled rotton brats like you and BB. You both could learn plenty from
studying Harvey Cheyne.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

However had Curtiz not been a total lubber like you he could have
told
the same story and made it much more to the liking of a true mariner
like Jack London.

Yeah, I'm sure Curtiz was truly interested in making The Sea Wolf
nautically correct for London, who'd been dead for 25 years. I'm also
sure that other directors like Curtiz never take artistic licence for
the film medium. I also suppose that movies/Star Trek like Star Wars,
Alien and most Sci fi classics are also poor since they are innacurate
in their depiction of space travel.
Dude, get a life.
I went sailing while you posted. Sailing again tomorrow, Saturday and
Sunday. Maybe you can download more dead children photos while we
sail!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 7, 7:20 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
[...]

Face it Rob, the movie, just like "through dead eyes" would have been
much better had the producer hired a decent director.

Oh and I'm so proud of you, you got to sail..Was it your first or
second time this year? You better race along on your long commute and
get all the sailing in while you can...3 mo and you will have to pull
Suzy's boat so it can hogg on the stands for 9 mo. of the year.

Glad you took the time to view the pictures..to bad the dead kids are
not as good as your kid and not worty of American help since Saddam
had no WMD's. Only a total asshole braindead retard would not see
those pictures as justification to liberate Iraq..That's you BTW.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Face it Rob, the movie, just like "through dead eyes" would have been
much better had the producer hired a decent director.

No, no. Let's just say that you believe Michael Curtiz is a poor
director and leave it at that. Truly!

Oh and I'm so proud of you, you got to sail..Was it your first or
second time this year?

2nd sail this week, plus going this evening, tomorrow night, Saturday
and Sunday. You did actually mean this week, didn't you? I also sailed
on three different boats this week. Did you sail that much?

Glad you took the time to view the pictures..to bad the dead kids
are
not as good as your kid and not worty of American help

Bush has killed many kids in the last few years, which is why he'll
eventually be charged with being a war criminal.

RB
35s5
NY