posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Ghost and the Sea Wolf

I do not have a houseboat.

Yeah, you do.

April was the last time I took RedCloud
sailing,

That's truly depressing.

but sail Tomahawk..ie T/T RedCloud almost every day.

Sure you do. And we don't blame you. Nobody wants to sail a slow and
heavy steel houseboat.

If I had a boat with
big lambrogini type gull wing windows I'd be embarrased too.

You mean like a Swan?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

1. Did you name Ghost after this flicks boat?

Yup. All of my vessels had names connected with films and books,
including Heart of Gold and her Improbability Drive.

2. Do you see yourself as the Wolf Larson type when you call
yourself
Captain.?

You mean as a cruel, sick sailor who beat his crew? Uh, nope.

3. When are you going to scrub off the soot on the pressed wood
covered fireplace chimmney you have on your camp house?

After I get the new heated garage built and finish off the 136" screen
theatre room.

4. When are you going to buy a descent car?

When you get a car as nice as any of ours I'll get back to you!

5. When is that book ever going to get published?

I have 24 photos to finish for the book and I'm rewriting a chapter
for the publisher because of changes in the source info originally
used in the 3rd draft.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 8, 6:23 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
since they used real ships
Curtiz's Artsey fartsey version would not work.

So far it only suffered for you. The Sea Wolf is well regarded, well
reviewed at the time and remains the best adaptation of the book to
this day. The reason for this is the fine cast and moody direction. No
one as ever commented in any review on the lack of reality for sailing
scenes. That's because it's not important to the plot. Curtiz'
portrait of the Ghost however unrealistic was quite successful for
movie fans.

RB
35s5
NY

Please...Rob..no wonder "through Dead Eyes" flopped. You need to
have a critical eye and look for glaring errors, not just the good
acting. Again I liked the film....but it could have been much
better..EG Robinson carried and made the film IMO.

Did you not feel cheated that we did not get to see the battle
between Wolf's and his brothers ship? And Larson's headaches..WTF? I
guess since no one could take out Wolf god had to do it.. I would have
rather seen him fighting to the end with Garfield or his brother, but
it's clear they did not have any prop builders worth their salt....
making a scene like that impossable.

That said..still beats 99% of the crap you see on TV and the movies..
If you haven't seen it then it is indeed a must see.

To bad they did not get John Wayne to play Larson and Rear Admiral
John Ford to direct. Then it would have been and Epic film.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 8, 9:19 am, Charlie Morgan wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 06:39:48 -0700, Joe
wrote:

4. When are you going to buy a descent car?

Just because your car can only go down hill doesn't mean that anyone
else wants one.

CWM

I do not have a car..I have a truck. It will go up a steeper hill then
most anyone's car with the granny gears in it. It will haul more, and
be more reliable than anyone's car. Gets great gas mileage with it's
144 CI straight 6, and keeps going up in value.

BB have you ever watched Capt. Courageous?
If not.. you should study the role of Harvey. It might do you some
good.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 8, 9:36 am, Charlie Morgan wrote:

wrote:

4. When are you going to buy a descent car?

Just because your car can only go down hill doesn't mean that anyone
else wants one.

CWM

I do not have a car..I have a truck. It will go up a steeper hill then
most anyone's car with the granny gears in it.

I hate to be the one to tell you this Joe, but your rusty old
Econoline van with half the body missing to make you think it's
somehow a pickup truck,

Rusty? The 1961 Econoline was the first unibody truck, made of steel 3
times as thick as any truck on the market today, 5 times as thick as
Bubbles rice burner. BTW the whole body was also dipped in a zinc
coating. My truck has no rust, it sat in a barn for 13 years in
Oklahoma.

I'm thinking of painting it..Do you like the Poppie Red?
http://www.server7.com/images/BSG/special/yJAN03.jpg

does not have granny gears. It's just a slug.

Because of the 144 she is geared very very low.

Joe

CWM

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Like I said! It's a SLUG. A rusted out SLUG. It's good that it's so
slow, as the front suspensions on those old Fords made them rolling
death traps.

You aint kidding. It's a deathtrap for sure. Poor Joe talks about fire
safety and drives an car that's just about deadly in any serious
accident. My Kia with it's ladder frame remains the safest vehicle
under 6000 lbs on the market. Even without it's amazing structural
engineering, the Kia/Hyundai vans are also fitted with front and side
airbags for all rows and the thing can carry a lot of stuff from Home
Depot as well. Add to that stability and traction control and it's a
very comprehensive family mover.
Oh....there's that word again that has no connection to poor lonely
Joe. Family.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 8, 11:06 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:

My Kia

Bwahahahahahahahaha..biggest laughing stock since the Yugo..

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

My Kia

Bwahahahahahahahaha..biggest laughing stock since the Yugo..

Yeah, too bad Kia and Hyundai (the same company) are now beating every
American car for reliability and are close to the Japanese cars, if
not as good already. I remember when Honda first hit US
shores...people have learned since then. Kia/Hyundai are not fooling
around. The Sedona is ranked higher than the Sienna and where does do
the US vans rate? Dead last place! Of course Kia's aint cheap anymore.
But I guess that's not funny for Americans who buy American made junk.

Or for Joe who doesn't even have a modern safe car. He probably labors
under the famous delusion that "old cars were build tougher." LOL!!!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 8, 11:06 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
Like I said! It's a SLUG. A rusted out SLUG. It's good that it's so
slow, as the front suspensions on those old Fords made them rolling
death traps.

You aint kidding. It's a deathtrap for sure.
NY

Death Trap? Since my commute is 40ft, and I drive less in a week than
you do driving one way to your boat, it's not that risky. Unless you
drive like Robert on public roads racing with his kid sitting in the
booster seat pealing banana's with his feet.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 8, 9:05 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
I do not have a houseboat.

Yeah, you do.

April was the last time I took RedCloud
sailing,

That's truly depressing.

Is it? May in the shipyard..had to remove all the canvas for some
welding and such.
Been busy. Was your boat still on the hard in April? You pulled it
october IIRC...now thats sad. No wonder you're so focused on autos.

but sail Tomahawk..ie T/T RedCloud almost every day.

Sure you do. And we don't blame you. Nobody wants to sail a slow and
heavy steel houseboat.

If I had a boat with
big lambrogini type gull wing windows I'd be embarrased too.

You mean like a Swan?

No.... like a 35s5

Joe

RB