posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Ghost and the Sea Wolf

On Jun 8, 6:23 am, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
since they used real ships
Curtiz's Artsey fartsey version would not work.

So far it only suffered for you. The Sea Wolf is well regarded, well
reviewed at the time and remains the best adaptation of the book to
this day. The reason for this is the fine cast and moody direction. No
one as ever commented in any review on the lack of reality for sailing
scenes. That's because it's not important to the plot. Curtiz'
portrait of the Ghost however unrealistic was quite successful for
movie fans.

RB
35s5
NY

Please...Rob..no wonder "through Dead Eyes" flopped. You need to
have a critical eye and look for glaring errors, not just the good
acting. Again I liked the film....but it could have been much
better..EG Robinson carried and made the film IMO.

Did you not feel cheated that we did not get to see the battle
between Wolf's and his brothers ship? And Larson's headaches..WTF? I
guess since no one could take out Wolf god had to do it.. I would have
rather seen him fighting to the end with Garfield or his brother, but
it's clear they did not have any prop builders worth their salt....
making a scene like that impossable.

That said..still beats 99% of the crap you see on TV and the movies..
If you haven't seen it then it is indeed a must see.

To bad they did not get John Wayne to play Larson and Rear Admiral
John Ford to direct. Then it would have been and Epic film.

Joe