posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Maxprop's a freaking jerk liar....

"scbafreak via BoatKB.com" u25927@uwe wrote in message
..... You said you'd believe I wasn't Capt. Neal if I posted that
picture and you lied about it.

If it makes you feel any better, I believe you. I mean why would you go
through all of this if it wasn't you? You could have easily sidestepped
the
whole issue.

Bill

You are providing some amusement for Neal, Bill.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"scbafreak via BoatKB.com" u25927@uwe wrote in message
Gimme a break....you the dumbest person in the world???

No. You are spending so much time saying "if you do this I'll believe
you"
then it happens and you say "that's not good enough". People that are as
negative as you really bother me. Dumb is backtracking what you say and
not
admitting when you are wrong. Dumb is spending your time trying to put
someone else down so that you can feel better about yourself.

C'mon, Bill, use that melon on top of your neck for a change. Any idiot can
cut and paste a glamor photo of a person onto a sailboat photo. Katie and I
asked for a verifiable photo of "her" in her boat. That photo is no more
verifiable than any of the others that Neal has provided. Aren't you even
the least bit suspicious that she's in a glamor pose, rather than just
sitting in the cockpit, relaxed and posing in such a manner that there could
be no doubt as to the veracity of her claim? You are remarkably gullible,
and Neal is having you for lunch. OTOH, I'm beginning to believe you, too,
are Neal.

You know nothing about me, or Ellen for that matter, and you keep making
assumptions that we are somehow unintelligent or liars. You aren't the
only
one here that has been indulging in this behavior. When did it become
okay
to talk to people like that? Do you go up to people on the street and cal
them names and tell them everything they say is a lie? Maybe Ellen works
really hard to look like that and she doesn't apreciate when people say
that
she couldn't possibly be that girl in the picture, the girl in picture is
floozy bikini model. Do you ever think that the people on the computer
are,
in fact, people and they have no reason to go through this much just to
lie
to you. If she was lying then she would have never offerd to take a
picture.
She could have very easily given some excuse for why she can't get a
picture
up. Instead she said there will be a pic, and then there was.

Nice speech, Bill. Are you through?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ellen MacArthur" wrote in message
reenews.net...

[...]

Thanks, Bill. You're a gentleman. You guys are rare in this group....
Some of these people
around here just have this fetish.... You can show them and show them and
they keep asking
for more. Katy's probably just jealous but Tom and Maxprop are rude and
ungentlemanly.

Bwwaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. From Neal, that's priceless.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ian Malcolm" wrote in message

Well I've had my share of run-ins with old A.D.N. before, but although the
M.O. may be similar, that boat wasn't *yellow*.

I doubt if that yellow POS Neal used to post was ever his boat either. The
guy probably owns a 55' Oyster, circumnavigates, and gets his rocks off by
yanking the chains of the terminally stupid herein.

Mind you, Ellen needs feeding up a bit judging by what change of waterline
there was.

Still waiting to see a piccy of the damaged edge of the sail being held up
by Ellen, wearing clothes so I dont get all distracted.

Now, Ellen, if your reading this, dont get all offended that I might doubt
you, After all, this group is known for elaborate co-operative trolling
and the CRaptain was an expert. . .

Still is.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ian Malcolm wrote:
.

Hi there Katy,

Well I've had my share of run-ins with old A.D.N. before, but although
the M.O. may be similar, that boat wasn't *yellow*.

Mind you, Ellen needs feeding up a bit judging by what change of
waterline there was.

Still waiting to see a piccy of the damaged edge of the sail being held
up by Ellen, wearing clothes so I dont get all distracted.

Now, Ellen, if your reading this, dont get all offended that I might
doubt you, After all, this group is known for elaborate co-operative
trolling and the CRaptain was an expert. . .

Ian,
You haven't ehard about the Stste of Florida coming down hard on its'
transient boater population? They have been confiscating boats and
closing down moorigs like Neal's...old engine blocks, etc. in an attempt
to clean up the waterways....we sispect that that is what may have
happened to the Banana...either that, or the thing just fell apart
finally...

posted to alt.sailing.asa

katy wrote:

Ian Malcolm wrote:

Hi there Katy,

Well I've had my share of run-ins with old A.D.N. before, but although
the M.O. may be similar, that boat wasn't *yellow*.

Ian,
You haven't ehard about the Stste of Florida coming down hard on its'
transient boater population? They have been confiscating boats and
closing down moorigs like Neal's...old engine blocks, etc. in an attempt
to clean up the waterways....we sispect that that is what may have
happened to the Banana...either that, or the thing just fell apart
finally...

Well if they wanted to clean up the waterways and get the best ROI, it
makes sense they'd start with low hanging 'fruit' like ADN. Mind you,
only a southern burocrat could call ADN transient, he *never* bloody
moved . . . :-)

Wonder if whatever official tried to dispose of it (whether forcibly or
as a derelict wreck) succeded? I have visions of it and ADN being
evicted from Florida on the back of a flatbed and both of them now
residing on the centre of a roundabout in the middle of a flowerbed with
a banner flying from the mast:-

***********************
* Welcome to *
* Wichita *
* Kansas *
* *
* 'The Air Capital' *
* 'of the World' *
* *
* Pop: 2,688,418 *
* Twinned with *
* Kaifeng, China *
***********************

Needless to say, the poor Florida state official probably cant even get
elected as dogcatcher now . . .

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Ian Malcolm" wrote

Still waiting to see a piccy of the damaged edge of the sail being held up by Ellen, wearing clothes so I dont get all
distracted.

Now, Ellen, if your reading this, dont get all offended that I might doubt you, After all, this group is known for
elaborate co-operative trolling and the CRaptain was an expert. . .

I can take pictures of the sail and post them but I can't hold up the sail and
take the pictures at the same time. You'll just have to be satisfied with pictures
of the sail. I even read the instruction book for the camera again and now I
know how to take *macro* pictures which is another name for close ups.
Some advice about whether the sail's worth bothering with would be nice.
I'm thinking maybe I should take out all the old hanks which are all green and
stiff and toss them in the trash then I can take out the old corroded grommets.
Then maybe a sail shop could sew a long piece of heavy sailcloth along the length
of the luff. Then I can melt or cut holes in the right spots and put new grommets in.
Then I can put new hanks in. The sail's little - only 60 square feet so I don't see
why it needs a wire running up the luff. But I think it needs some webbing looped
through the head grommet and tack grommet and sewed on up and down for
a foot or so.
Getting the old rusty wire out is gonna be trouble. I wonder if it would hurt
to just cut the sail cloth along the edge and get it out that way. Sewing on a new
strip of sailcloth would cover up the cut and rusty sailcloth.....
Does Armour All work on sails. Making them look newer and bluer where it's
faded and stained? Or is it too slippery so the deck will get to slippery? Is there
something else that can be sprayed on the sails to brighten them up and seal the
pores so the wind doesn't go through and they work better. My sails are thin.
They're more like spinnaker cloth than thick crinkly sail cloth.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ellen MacArthur wrote:

"Ian Malcolm" wrote

Still waiting to see a piccy of the damaged edge of the sail being held up by Ellen, wearing clothes so I dont get all
distracted.

Now, Ellen, if your reading this, dont get all offended that I might doubt you, After all, this group is known for
elaborate co-operative trolling and the CRaptain was an expert. . .

Knowing and accepting that I am probably talking to one of ADN's many
socks, but on the off chance you are for real or ADN is pretending to be
the fount of all nautical wisdom and is relating our replies to some
cute young new boatowner, pretending they are his own words, I'll have a
shot at being helpfull. At least its vicarious sailing :-)

I can take pictures of the sail and post them but I can't hold up the sail and
take the pictures at the same time.

The same person who took all your other photos could take this one . . .

You'll just have to be satisfied with pictures
of the sail. I even read the instruction book for the camera again and now I
know how to take *macro* pictures which is another name for close ups.

I really would like to see an over-all shot of the bottom 1/3 or so
(where the wire broke) as well as the closeups. Why not spread it out
accross the cockpit and sit on the coacroof to take a picture of as much
of it as you can fit in the frame?

Some advice about whether the sail's worth bothering with would be nice.

On a dead calm day, wet the sail to give it some weight and tension the
luff between two stakes or posts a few feet off the ground then tension
the clew keeping the sail level until the shape of the sail hanging down
looks about right. Crouch down and look at the shape. The maximum depth
of the curve should be rather nearer to the luff than the leach. If its
past half way back, replace the sail. If there is *any* doubt, tape
accross the sail with black electrical tape parallell to the foot at
20%, 40%, 60% and 80% of the height KEEPING THE TAPE ABSOLUTLY SLACK and
as streight as you can when you apply it then stretch the sail as above
and take us all a photo showing the *whole* sail from the foot looking
towards the head, down at a shallow angle. It also helps ifyou can get
someone to hold a thin streight rod just barely touching the luff and
leach at the 40% height so we have a reference line.

I'm thinking maybe I should take out all the old hanks which are all green and
stiff

Good first step, but have you priced replacements? They may come good if
soaked for an hour or two in a 25% solution of a Formic acid ciontaining
kettle descaler, working their pistons at intervals and when they have
freed up, rinseing *very* thouroughly, drying and spraying with a good
brand of silicone lubricant.

If they are sewn on, put them aside to fit later otherwise if held by a
bronze 'claw' you may need to anneal the claw with a blow torch while
protecting the body of the hank with a sopping wet rag to avoid loosing
the temper in the spring. Any which show signs of cracking in the claw,
dont work freely or seem to have lost their spring must be replaced.

Thereafter spray evey 6 months taking care not to get *any* silicone on
the deck or sail.

and toss them in the trash then I can take out the old corroded grommets.
Then maybe a sail shop could sew a long piece of heavy sailcloth along the length
of the luff.

Getting a sail shop to do *anything* wont be cheap and they have a much
better press for putting eyelets in than you or I can hope to have. Take
the hanks off then ask the shop if the sail is worth saving and if so,
roughly how much to do the whole job except refitting the hanks? N.B. a
general Canvas shop will NOT have the expertize you need unless they
have a sailmaker on the staff.

Then I can melt or cut holes in the right spots and put new grommets in.

Unless the holes are badly chewed, you can probably re-use them if you
go to a slightly larger size. You use the punch in the eyelet kit to cut
the holes. A small patch hand sewn over the luff wire and accross both
sides of the hole can be used to fix any bad ones. Tapeing the whole
luff unless done by a pro, is likely to upset the luff tensioning and
give an unsatisfactory result.
Ideally you'd hand stitch the rings for all the new eyelets before
closing the 'hat' over the new leathering using the punch and die in the
kit.

Then I can put new hanks in. The sail's little - only 60 square feet so I don't see
why it needs a wire running up the luff.

To get a streight luff. When hoisted on a small boat, all the load
should be on the luff wire with the forestay just slack. All the hanks
do is controll it while hoisting or lowering. Consult a decent book on
traditional knotcraft or sailmaking for the correct way to tye the hanks in.

But I think it needs some webbing looped
through the head grommet and tack grommet and sewed on up and down for
a foot or so.

NO WAY. Only applicable to a sail with a high tensile fabric tape the
whole length of the luff.
What you actually need is a loosely fitted luff wire extending right to
the eye at one end and actually forming part of that eye and with a
talurit eye in the other end about an inch beyond the corner of the
sail. The eye at the free end of the sail is laced to the corner to set
the cloth tension for best sail shape after the sail has been hoisted as
tight as possible. Thereafter check the laceing occasionaly. Its
handiest to have the head fixed to the wire and the tack free.

Getting the old rusty wire out is gonna be trouble. I wonder if it would hurt
to just cut the sail cloth along the edge and get it out that way. Sewing on a new
strip of sailcloth would cover up the cut and rusty sailcloth.....

DONT cut the sail. Oxalic acid will dissolve the rust. Its usually sold
as a powder wood bleach. I reccomend a strong solution in hot water,
applied and left to dry in the sun a few times then the next day more
solution and gently working at the edge will probably free up whats left
of the wire. Once you have removed it, patch any holes and work a piece
of solid wire in to let you pull through a nice new piece of 3mm 7x19,
which it's worth treating with melted beeswax before you use it. Then
you just need to get the talurits on the end swaged, and do the other
items discussed above and you're golden.

Does Armour All work on sails. Making them look newer and bluer where it's
faded and stained? Or is it too slippery so the deck will get to slippery? Is there
something else that can be sprayed on the sails to brighten them up and seal the
pores so the wind doesn't go through and they work better. My sails are thin.
They're more like spinnaker cloth than thick crinkly sail cloth.

There are companies that re-proof sails commercially. I am not sure if
its worth doing though. Dodgy seams can be oversewn by hand if the
sail cloth is still sound enough to hold stitches, if not, its new sail
time. There is a product callled seamcoat or something like that for
treating properly stiched seams to protect and strengthen otherwise
sound seams. DONT use ArmourAll. It wont do any good and will make
futture repair work impossible.

Cheers,
Ellen

How about a nice picture of you sailing just for me? It would cheer me
up in our horrible winter weather no end. I'd like to see you on the
helm with the boat sailing with a bone in her teeth.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Hedging again Nellen,

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:

Hedging again Nellen,

Probably, but as I said it (N)Ellen's new thread, if (S)he does repaiir
that sail properly, I think some *respect* would be due. If it IS ADN,
and he wants to keep up the deception, he'll need to do some real work.
I think some occupational therapy might be very good for him . . .

Potato Casserole Skipper General 45 November 18th 05 07:56 PM
I'm a jerk, but I'm RICH. The Rich Jerk Electronics 0 September 10th 05 02:24 PM
I'm a jerk, but I'm RICH. The Rich Jerk Boat Building 0 September 10th 05 02:23 PM
Bill Moyers on environment, politics and Christian fundamentalists [email protected] General 1852 April 5th 05 11:17 PM
Another Boat show Donal ASA 20 September 30th 03 05:53 PM