posted to alt.sailing.asa
Ellen MacArthur Ellen MacArthur is offline

Default Maxprop's a freaking jerk liar....

"Ian Malcolm" wrote

Still waiting to see a piccy of the damaged edge of the sail being held up by Ellen, wearing clothes so I dont get all
distracted.

Now, Ellen, if your reading this, dont get all offended that I might doubt you, After all, this group is known for
elaborate co-operative trolling and the CRaptain was an expert. . .

I can take pictures of the sail and post them but I can't hold up the sail and
take the pictures at the same time. You'll just have to be satisfied with pictures
of the sail. I even read the instruction book for the camera again and now I
know how to take *macro* pictures which is another name for close ups.
Some advice about whether the sail's worth bothering with would be nice.
I'm thinking maybe I should take out all the old hanks which are all green and
stiff and toss them in the trash then I can take out the old corroded grommets.
Then maybe a sail shop could sew a long piece of heavy sailcloth along the length
of the luff. Then I can melt or cut holes in the right spots and put new grommets in.
Then I can put new hanks in. The sail's little - only 60 square feet so I don't see
why it needs a wire running up the luff. But I think it needs some webbing looped
through the head grommet and tack grommet and sewed on up and down for
a foot or so.
Getting the old rusty wire out is gonna be trouble. I wonder if it would hurt
to just cut the sail cloth along the edge and get it out that way. Sewing on a new
strip of sailcloth would cover up the cut and rusty sailcloth.....
Does Armour All work on sails. Making them look newer and bluer where it's
faded and stained? Or is it too slippery so the deck will get to slippery? Is there
something else that can be sprayed on the sails to brighten them up and seal the
pores so the wind doesn't go through and they work better. My sails are thin.
They're more like spinnaker cloth than thick crinkly sail cloth.

Cheers,
Ellen