posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Life Commentary

Thom Stewart wrote:
Ah Come on Katy,

I bet Kopler & Olly made it! How about Lamb Chop! Even Howdy Dody. Not
to sure about "Buffalo Bob"

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

Howdy Doody is definitely in hell....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Colregs Questions; BORING!

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Joe" wrote
| Yes, but work on deck may prevent that. In one case the guy was
| watching cargo slide on deck after tieing the line that snapped.
| We had headache rails on the boat to jump behind and be safe : Lika
| so..
| http://www.marcon.com/library/Sales_...005Sales/a.jpg

That's a very little picture, Joe. I guess your talking about those things that look like blue walls.

No...the blue "walls" are the bulkheads, it the pipe between the
bulkhead and deck

http://www.exmaroffshore.com/images/...0pix_75dpi.jpg simpler un
cluttered picture shows headache rails

Here is an anchor deck, thats what i did mostly is set anchors for the
semi's. See the guy standing under the headache rail?
http://www.bruceanchor.co.uk/Dennla.htm

If you scroll down that page it shows a deck loaded with anchors,
backdown bouys and rode, cable fixing to put a rig on station. See the
headache rail that run the length of the working deck? They are
nicknamed headache rails for the odvious reason.

| http://supplyboats.leefelterman.com/specs/osv116a.jpg
| see the big rails along the deck side, between the deck and bulwarks?

I see them.

| Thats were you go when **** starts shifting, then you can turn and
| look. See were the stern bits are?

I can't see the stern. It looks like the bow. Or did they put the pilot house right on the bow?

yes http://www.mossww.com/mossmaritime/i...isma-1JA-2.jpg

Maybe that's it. Most boats have the pilot house on the stern. Are those blue things sticking up the bits?

| A line goes up to each corner of a
| drilling platform and you set an anchor off your bow, you may be
| offloading and loading cargo for days on end. You have to work the
| deck, you can not hide all the time.

I thought a hawser was a rope for towing barges. I don't think lines to a platform would break.

think about 500-800 tons surging down q 12 ft wave, how much force
woulf it take to stop it?

If the lines did not break you might pull a rig over.

Unless there was a hurricane.... Before that you'd be away from there I'd expect.

| The second was a guy on a Fleet tug deck pulling on our ship to get
| her away from the dock in a typhoon.

You should have kedged it off. :-)

| IIRC it was this tug : http://www.msc.navy.mil/N00P/graphics/Mday4.jpg

Well golly! They DO put the pilot house right on the bow. Must be a bumpy ride in a storm.

| The guy was not in direct line when the 6" samson braid let go, he was
| on the stern quarter of the deck I think heading to dis-engage the
| brake as the line started to smoke.

It's a sad story. You can't be too careful. You can get squashed like a bug any time.

The guy who lost a leg was between two boats offshore

joe

| Not so, the larger the hawser the wider path of danger , the way the
| hawser parts, and it's braid, can make it go off at weird angles.

OK. I believe you now and I understand better. Thanks for a great post.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Joe" wrote in

| True trailor sailors like you will never encounter anything more
| dangerious than a wet butt rash but........ gory things happen at sea,
| and I rather talk about a 4" hauser parting and killing a sailor so
| perhaps it will instill the importance of never turning your back on a
| line under load. That may keep another person from such a preventable,
| but too common an accident.

True. And more welcome than political talk or motor talk. But seriously. That poor guy
probably wouldn't have time to get away even if he was looking right at the hawser when it
parted.

Wrong! The ideal is to keep your eyes on the line, and never get in the
path it may take if parting.
Both times the boats had specific areas to hide behind that would have
saved them both.

Both people killed took thier eyes off the load, they never knew what
hit them.

Agree. Having spent over 20 years on & off working on ORV's, LFV's and
the like, I never allow anyone on the working deck while we're
deploying or recovering gear unless they have a job to do, and there's
someone with overwatch role whose job it is to keep an eye on people
who may get too involved in the immediate task to think about
consequences of something going wrong.

We're about to go recover moored instrument strings from 4800m of
water.

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Joe" wrote in

| True trailor sailors like you will never encounter anything more
| dangerious than a wet butt rash but........ gory things happen at sea,
| and I rather talk about a 4" hauser parting and killing a sailor so
| perhaps it will instill the importance of never turning your back on a
| line under load. That may keep another person from such a preventable,
| but too common an accident.

True. And more welcome than political talk or motor talk. But seriously. That poor guy
probably wouldn't have time to get away even if he was looking right at the hawser when it
parted.

Wrong! The ideal is to keep your eyes on the line, and never get in the
path it may take if parting.
Both times the boats had specific areas to hide behind that would have
saved them both.

Both people killed took thier eyes off the load, they never knew what
hit them.

Agree. Having spent over 20 years on & off working on ORV's, LFV's and
the like, I never allow anyone on the working deck while we're
deploying or recovering gear unless they have a job to do, and there's
someone with overwatch role whose job it is to keep an eye on people
who may get too involved in the immediate task to think about
consequences of something going wrong.

We're about to go recover moored instrument strings from 4800m of
water.

PDW

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
Jeff,

Any Discussion or Thought that keeps the Mind OPEN is a worthwhile
thing.

Yup.

Anything; even good things, that get stuck in a Rut need to be
freed!

If people keep responding, especially if they vary what they're
talking about, why do you think its stuck in a rut? Since you didn't
respond to any of them, or any of the "seamanship questions,"
obviously this stuff doesn't appeal to you. But clearly others enjoy
them.

It's something Neal has forgotten in his Retirement. He was the one who
developed vivacity in the ASA. It's what makes us a different sailing
discussion group. I've liked it. It's something we should all be aware
of and not let it get lost.

I think the Colregs have been overdone. That's my opinion.

And you're to it. I ignore many threads that don't appeal to me;
you're certainly free to do the same.

In this
group, I'm allowed to post it. Thanks be to the Almighty other don't
have to accept it.

That my friends is what a Good Discussion is about!!!

I think the "Colreg" has become BORING.

OK, we'll focus on the Inland Rules.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Peter wrote:
Joe wrote:
Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Joe" wrote in

| True trailor sailors like you will never encounter anything more
| dangerious than a wet butt rash but........ gory things happen at sea,
| and I rather talk about a 4" hauser parting and killing a sailor so
| perhaps it will instill the importance of never turning your back on a
| line under load. That may keep another person from such a preventable,
| but too common an accident.

True. And more welcome than political talk or motor talk. But seriously. That poor guy
probably wouldn't have time to get away even if he was looking right at the hawser when it
parted.

Wrong! The ideal is to keep your eyes on the line, and never get in the
path it may take if parting.
Both times the boats had specific areas to hide behind that would have
saved them both.

Both people killed took thier eyes off the load, they never knew what
hit them.

Agree. Having spent over 20 years on & off working on ORV's, LFV's and
the like, I never allow anyone on the working deck while we're
deploying or recovering gear unless they have a job to do, and there's
someone with overwatch role whose job it is to keep an eye on people
who may get too involved in the immediate task to think about
consequences of something going wrong.

Same here, but the guy killed was the first mate, his job is to over
see the deck operations and keep the deck hands safe..

We're about to go recover moored instrument strings from 4800m of
water.

Pretty deep water, what's the application?

Joe

PDW

Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 14 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Lots of questions :) GC General 7 September 16th 04 05:45 AM
Newbie questions Tony Kenny UK Power Boats 7 January 12th 04 08:44 PM
Sailing on LIS BORING! BORING! Whplash4 ASA 0 September 8th 03 02:42 PM