posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Life Commentary

DSK wrote:
katysails wrote:
Everyone gets old; eventually everyone dies. To not have compassion
for the human condition negates the com passionless one to being
subhuman at best but mire probably inhumane.

I don't want to start off y disagreeing with a basically good philosphy
here, but not everyone gets old. Many people die young.

As for compassion, it is one of the characteristics that partially
seperates humans from animals. To not have compassion is to be an
animal, not human.

To continue on this theme, are sock puppets human? If an "internet
character" dies, does he/she go to Heaven if he's been good?

DSK

Nah...that's where limbo comes in...only pippets that get into heaven
are Elmo and Grover...and maybe Kermit.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"katy" wrote in
| Nah...that's where limbo comes in...only pippets that get into heaven
| are Elmo and Grover...and maybe Kermit.

Don't forget Lambchop! http://www.puppetville.com/lambchop-puppet/

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Colregs Questions; BORING!

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Joe" wrote in

| True trailor sailors like you will never encounter anything more
| dangerious than a wet butt rash but........ gory things happen at sea,
| and I rather talk about a 4" hauser parting and killing a sailor so
| perhaps it will instill the importance of never turning your back on a
| line under load. That may keep another person from such a preventable,
| but too common an accident.

True. And more welcome than political talk or motor talk. But seriously. That poor guy
probably wouldn't have time to get away even if he was looking right at the hawser when it
parted.

Wrong! The ideal is to keep your eyes on the line, and never get in the
path it may take if parting.
Both times the boats had specific areas to hide behind that would have
saved them both.

Both people killed took thier eyes off the load, they never knew what
hit them.

| You can chat fantasy all day, and that makes since because you are
| your fantasy, have no boat, and never sail.

Chatting *fantasy* maybe could prepare you for real life, couldn't it. I do have a boat and I do sail.

Yeah, I was planning on rowing my sailboat backwards thru the
anchorage later today.

Joe

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Thom Stewart wrote:
Jeff,

I'm NOT against Colregs. I AM for moderation!

Sorry, this group is unmoderated.

ASA has been a very successful discussion group BECAUSE it has never
been a "Johnny One Note!"

There is only one solution to that, start a thread on a different
topic. And that's what you did, sort of.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote
| Wrong! The ideal is to keep your eyes on the line, and never get in the
| path it may take if parting.
| Both times the boats had specific areas to hide behind that would have
| saved them both.
| Both people killed took thier eyes off the load, they never knew what
| hit them.

Wouldn't it be better just to stay away or behind bulkheads.
They sure have some dumb safety rules. It'd make better sense to make a rule the nobody can watch
the line in the open. There needs to be strong bulkheads to protect seamen working near the hawser. They
need to be told to stay behind the bulkheads. It sounds like they're supposed to watch the hawser at all
times. Then they're supposed to see when it starts to snap. Then they're supposed to beat feet to cover.
Duh!
I can stretch a rubber band until it breaks. It snaps straight back. Just don't get in line with the
hawser and you're probably pretty safe.

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Have a good sail Scotty,

An Old Diesel Truck Driver should solve that problem without to much
trouble. Enjoy!

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Joe" wrote
| Wrong! The ideal is to keep your eyes on the line, and never get in the
| path it may take if parting.
| Both times the boats had specific areas to hide behind that would have
| saved them both.
| Both people killed took thier eyes off the load, they never knew what
| hit them.

Wouldn't it be better just to stay away or behind bulkheads.

Yes, but work on deck may prevent that. In one case the guy was
watching cargo slide on deck after tieing the line that snapped.

We had headache rails on the boat to jump behind and be safe : Lika
so..

http://www.marcon.com/library/Sales_...005Sales/a.jpg

http://supplyboats.leefelterman.com/specs/osv116a.jpg

see the big rails along the deck side, between the deck and bulwarks?
Thats were you go when **** starts shifting, then you can turn and
look. See were the stern bits are? A line goes up to each corner of a
drilling platform and you set an anchor off your bow, you may be
offloading and loading cargo for days on end. You have to work the
deck, you can not hide all the time.

The second was a guy on a Fleet tug deck pulling on our ship to get
her away from the dock in a typhoon.
IIRC it was this tug : http://www.msc.navy.mil/N00P/graphics/Mday4.jpg

The guy was not in direct line when the 6" samson braid let go, he was
on the stern quarter of the deck I think heading to dis-engage the
brake as the line started to smoke.

They sure have some dumb safety rules. It'd make better sense to make a rule the nobody can watch
the line in the open. There needs to be strong bulkheads to protect seamen working near the hawser. They
need to be told to stay behind the bulkheads. It sounds like they're supposed to watch the hawser at all
times. Then they're supposed to see when it starts to snap. Then they're supposed to beat feet to cover.
Duh!
I can stretch a rubber band until it breaks. It snaps straight back. Just don't get in line with the
hawser and you're probably pretty safe.

Not so, the larger the hawser the wider path of danger , the way the
hawser parts, and it's braid, can make it go off at weird angles.

Joe

Cheers,
Ellen

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ah Come on Katy,

I bet Kopler & Olly made it! How about Lamb Chop! Even Howdy Dody. Not
to sure about "Buffalo Bob"

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote
| Yes, but work on deck may prevent that. In one case the guy was
| watching cargo slide on deck after tieing the line that snapped.
| We had headache rails on the boat to jump behind and be safe : Lika
| so..
| http://www.marcon.com/library/Sales_...005Sales/a.jpg

That's a very little picture, Joe. I guess your talking about those things that look like blue walls.

| http://supplyboats.leefelterman.com/specs/osv116a.jpg
| see the big rails along the deck side, between the deck and bulwarks?

I see them.

| Thats were you go when **** starts shifting, then you can turn and
| look. See were the stern bits are?

I can't see the stern. It looks like the bow. Or did they put the pilot house right on the bow?
Maybe that's it. Most boats have the pilot house on the stern. Are those blue things sticking up the bits?

| A line goes up to each corner of a
| drilling platform and you set an anchor off your bow, you may be
| offloading and loading cargo for days on end. You have to work the
| deck, you can not hide all the time.

I thought a hawser was a rope for towing barges. I don't think lines to a platform would break.
Unless there was a hurricane.... Before that you'd be away from there I'd expect.

| The second was a guy on a Fleet tug deck pulling on our ship to get
| her away from the dock in a typhoon.

You should have kedged it off. :-)

| IIRC it was this tug : http://www.msc.navy.mil/N00P/graphics/Mday4.jpg

Well golly! They DO put the pilot house right on the bow. Must be a bumpy ride in a storm.

| The guy was not in direct line when the 6" samson braid let go, he was
| on the stern quarter of the deck I think heading to dis-engage the
| brake as the line started to smoke.

It's a sad story. You can't be too careful. You can get squashed like a bug any time.

| Not so, the larger the hawser the wider path of danger , the way the
| hawser parts, and it's braid, can make it go off at weird angles.

OK. I believe you now and I understand better. Thanks for a great post.

Cheers,
Ellen
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Jeff,

Any Discussion or Thought that keeps the Mind OPEN is a worthwhile
thing. Anything; even good things, that get stuck in a Rut need to be
freed!

It's something Neal has forgotten in his Retirement. He was the one who
developed vivacity in the ASA. It's what makes us a different sailing
discussion group. I've liked it. It's something we should all be aware
of and not let it get lost.

I think the Colregs have been overdone. That's my opinion. In this
group, I'm allowed to post it. Thanks be to the Almighty other don't
have to accept it.

That my friends is what a Good Discussion is about!!!

I think the "Colreg" has become BORING.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ILLDRINKTOTHAT

Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 14 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Lots of questions :) GC General 7 September 16th 04 05:45 AM
Newbie questions Tony Kenny UK Power Boats 7 January 12th 04 08:44 PM
Sailing on LIS BORING! BORING! Whplash4 ASA 0 September 8th 03 02:42 PM