posted to alt.sailing.asa
Peter Peter is offline

Default Colregs Questions; BORING!

Joe wrote:
Ellen MacArthur wrote:
"Joe" wrote in

| True trailor sailors like you will never encounter anything more
| dangerious than a wet butt rash but........ gory things happen at sea,
| and I rather talk about a 4" hauser parting and killing a sailor so
| perhaps it will instill the importance of never turning your back on a
| line under load. That may keep another person from such a preventable,
| but too common an accident.

True. And more welcome than political talk or motor talk. But seriously. That poor guy
probably wouldn't have time to get away even if he was looking right at the hawser when it
parted.

Wrong! The ideal is to keep your eyes on the line, and never get in the
path it may take if parting.
Both times the boats had specific areas to hide behind that would have
saved them both.

Both people killed took thier eyes off the load, they never knew what
hit them.

Agree. Having spent over 20 years on & off working on ORV's, LFV's and
the like, I never allow anyone on the working deck while we're
deploying or recovering gear unless they have a job to do, and there's
someone with overwatch role whose job it is to keep an eye on people
who may get too involved in the immediate task to think about
consequences of something going wrong.

We're about to go recover moored instrument strings from 4800m of
water.

PDW