Junior Member

Default Bottom Paint

Hello:

I've just treated the bottom of my sail boat with Interlux 2000E. (Had blister problems.) I was going to apply a Ablative bottom paint such as Sea Bowld Ablative 67 Pro. The boat is usually only launched one per year and left in the water for about 7 months at a time, with 5 months on a trailer. I have two questions.

1.) Any comments/experiences with different types or brands of bottom paint.

2.) I don't plan to launch the boat until next April, should I paint the bottom now or wait until I'm closer to launch time. Or does it matter?

Any comments are appreciated.
posted to alt.sailing.asa

1.) Any comments/experiences with different types or brands of bottom
paint.

You need to give more info...where are you using the boat, are you
racing and so on.

RB
35s5
NY

Junior Member

Helllo:

I moor the boat in the Puget Sound in Washington State. (Salt water) I would say there is moderate buildup in that area. Also I never race the boat and am more concerned with multi-season protection and ease of use than performance. Let me know if you need additional info.

Last edited by daojones : August 1st 06 at 04:13 PM
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"daojones" wrote in message

Hello:

I've just treated the bottom of my sail boat with Interlux 2000E. (Had
blister problems.) I was going to apply a Ablative bottom paint such as
Sea Bowld Ablative 67 Pro. The boat is usually only launched one per
year and left in the water for about 7 months at a time, with 5 months
on a trailer. I have two questions.

1.) Any comments/experiences with different types or brands of bottom
paint.

VC-17 is a Teflon-based paint with decent anti-fouling properties in fresh
water, but poor in brine. It's a great choice if you intend to race. You
could apply it now with no appreciable degradation by next April. If you
sail in brine, plan to use either an ablative or a hard epoxy paint. I like
the ablatives because they don't lose effectiveness out of water and they
don't build up. But they might rub off more easily when launching and
recovering from a trailer.

2.) I don't plan to launch the boat until next April, should I paint
the bottom now or wait until I'm closer to launch time. Or does it
matter?

Epoxy or ablative: wait until the week of launch.
VC-17: paint anytime.

Max

Junior Member

Thank you Max!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

My 2 cents. If you will be racing in Gran Prix events your only
choice is Baltoplate, wetsanded and burnished.
Now on to the real world. Assuming you are in salt water and you
are not a cheapskate. If you don't want paint build up use an
ablative. I've had good luck over the years with Awlgrip Alstar Gold
Label. It's pretty good for racing too. Problem with most ablatives
is that they get mushed by the travel lift slings.
This year I had the bottom stripped and 2 coats of Petit's epoxy
barrier coat sprayed on. I then decided to switch bottom paints and
had the yard spray 2 coats of the new Petit Vivid. Vivid is a "hard"
ablative which means it can be wetsanded and burnished. I decided to
hold off on the sanding this year and just burnished the bottom and it
came out great. The boat has been really fast this season. On top of
that the bottom has stayed exceptionally free of slime this season. In
the past when diving I would get a brown stain on the towel. This year
only a little gray paint. That brings up another cool factor about
Vivid. You can mix primary colors to get any number of custom colors
on a color chart that Petit supplies. I mixed 1 part black to 4 parts
white to get a nice light gray. Petit claims Vivid is a true multi
season paint so next year will tell if that is true. I plan on wet
sanding a little in the spring to get rid of the winters oxidation then
burnishing again then launching. So far I'm a happy camper. Good
luck.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

Ringmaster wrote:

Thanks for the info on Petit Vivid. We put on Petit
Trinidad, I wonder what the difference is.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa

DSK wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:

Thanks for the info on Petit Vivid. We put on Petit
Trinidad, I wonder what the difference is.

On a trawler? Not much.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 1 Aug 2006 21:59:06 -0700, "Ringmaster" wrote:

[...]

Good practical application info. Do you think it could handle in (two
weeks at a time) and out (four weeks at a time), both fresh and salt
with the salt temperatures fairly high, and trailer abrasion?

Frank
Junior Member

Hello:

Just to give another opinion, I called Interlux about timining of bottom paint over their Interprotect 2000E. They recommend that bottom paint be applied within a few hours of the final expoxy coat. When it reaches the "thumbprint" point of dryness, the first coat of bottom paint should be applied to help form a chemical bond. If it has been a few days or weeks (1 week in my case) it is advised to sand (80-100) before application of the bottom paint. Although this won't give as good an adhesive bond. Another option would be to put another coat of expoxy on if hasn't been over two weeks. (This sounds like too much work and expense for me.)

Further they said as long as I was applying an Ablative paint, painting weeks before launch was no problem. They felt timing was an issue when applying "hard" bottom paint only. This isn't what others and my friends tell me, but I guess they should know.

Of course if it wasn't for conflicting advise, we'd get no advise... :-)

Bottom Paint ,,, 20 layers of Bottom Paint ,,, how to remove it. Thomas Wentworth Cruising 33 April 12th 06 12:31 AM
Bottom paint vs performance Phil DiVincenti General 7 September 10th 04 07:42 PM
Interlux Bottom Paint Question Mike Cruising 6 June 17th 04 12:24 AM
Bottom Paint katysails ASA 27 March 24th 04 09:07 PM
Removing bottom paint... Rural Knight General 1 August 6th 03 02:03 AM