posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Bottom Paint

"daojones" wrote in message

Hello:

I've just treated the bottom of my sail boat with Interlux 2000E. (Had
blister problems.) I was going to apply a Ablative bottom paint such as
Sea Bowld Ablative 67 Pro. The boat is usually only launched one per
year and left in the water for about 7 months at a time, with 5 months
on a trailer. I have two questions.

1.) Any comments/experiences with different types or brands of bottom
paint.

VC-17 is a Teflon-based paint with decent anti-fouling properties in fresh
water, but poor in brine. It's a great choice if you intend to race. You
could apply it now with no appreciable degradation by next April. If you
sail in brine, plan to use either an ablative or a hard epoxy paint. I like
the ablatives because they don't lose effectiveness out of water and they
don't build up. But they might rub off more easily when launching and
recovering from a trailer.

2.) I don't plan to launch the boat until next April, should I paint
the bottom now or wait until I'm closer to launch time. Or does it
matter?

Epoxy or ablative: wait until the week of launch.
VC-17: paint anytime.

Max