posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Cruise ship antics?

Now when on the helm of the fat sam I had a very hard time inducing a
30 degree roll, lucky to get a 10 degree roll without getting caught,
and we were 11 decks abouve the waterline.

I guess the fat sam was not as top heavy as the carnival ship. I wonder
if the helmsmans was just FN with the passengers, or maybe they engaged
the autopilot on the wrong course.

Critical injuries....oh my. That ship looks extreamly top heavy, wonder
whats going to happen if it gets in a major storm, people are going to
be slapped back and forth between the bulkheads.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Now when on the helm of the fat sam I had a very hard time inducing a
30 degree roll, lucky to get a 10 degree roll without getting caught,
and we were 11 decks abouve the waterline.

I was under the impression that more occured to induce the 30% than
just a helm error. That's a long list!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

I was under the impression that more occured to induce the 30% than
just a helm error.

That's right! The buffet cart rolled to port and some large dork like you
went chasing after it. The rest is history.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

That's right! The buffet cart rolled to port and some large dork like you
went chasing after it. The rest is history.

Is this what you've been reduced to? Capt Neal would be ashamed. Next
you'll be making poopy jokes.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
That's right! The buffet cart rolled to port and some large dork like you

went chasing after it. The rest is history.

Is this what you've been reduced to? Capt Neal would be ashamed. Next
you'll be making poopy jokes.

....and when the ocean liner heeled you pooped all over the deck, people
slipped in it and the cavalcade of horror began!

Where is the good Capt anyway?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Bob Crantz wrote:

Where is the good Capt anyway?

Still in Kansas. Meet some girl named Dorty.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Will be interesting to find out what happened. If someone accidently hit
the wrong button during a course change it's one thing, but if there is a
control glitch..... yikes.
Other possible contributor would be "stabilizers".
As for "top heavy".... she does look it, but the reality is that she
probably isn't.

otn

"Joe" wrote in news:1153314952.359174.23310
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Now when on the helm of the fat sam I had a very hard time inducing a
30 degree roll, lucky to get a 10 degree roll without getting caught,
and we were 11 decks abouve the waterline.

I guess the fat sam was not as top heavy as the carnival ship. I wonder
if the helmsmans was just FN with the passengers, or maybe they engaged
the autopilot on the wrong course.

Critical injuries....oh my. That ship looks extreamly top heavy, wonder
whats going to happen if it gets in a major storm, people are going to
be slapped back and forth between the bulkheads.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK DSK is offline

otnmbrd wrote:
Will be interesting to find out what happened. If someone accidently hit
the wrong button during a course change it's one thing, but if there is a
control glitch..... yikes.

Does this ship steerable props (such as the Azi-Pod)? If so,
then there's no way the helmsman could make the ship roll no
matter how hard he turned.

Other possible contributor would be "stabilizers".

Bingo

As for "top heavy".... she does look it, but the reality is that she
probably isn't.

I dunno, the ABS has recently decided that use of active
stabilizers counts for stability. Maybe they have some sort
of absolute guarantee that the system never goes down? In
any event, the standards for ship's metacenter has been
changed. Maybe when one of them falls on it's side and the
crew has to right it like a Laser,
http://www.willamettesailingclub.com...os/capsize.jpg
the standards will change back again?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

DSK wrote:
otnmbrd wrote:
Will be interesting to find out what happened. If someone accidently hit
the wrong button during a course change it's one thing, but if there is a
control glitch..... yikes.

Does this ship steerable props (such as the Azi-Pod)? If so,
then there's no way the helmsman could make the ship roll no
matter how hard he turned.

What? I call BS.!

Are you telling me could not induce a roll on ship with pods? These are
electric outboards engnes in pods, the pods turn so rudders are not
needed. I say... I could make a ship roll faster and harder with pods
if she has any weight up top. Its a matter of sway, not propulsion.

Joe