posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Cruise ship antics?

DSK wrote:
otnmbrd wrote:
Will be interesting to find out what happened. If someone accidently hit
the wrong button during a course change it's one thing, but if there is a
control glitch..... yikes.

Does this ship steerable props (such as the Azi-Pod)? If so,
then there's no way the helmsman could make the ship roll no
matter how hard he turned.

What? I call BS.!

Are you telling me could not induce a roll on ship with pods? These are
electric outboards engnes in pods, the pods turn so rudders are not
needed. I say... I could make a ship roll faster and harder with pods
if she has any weight up top. Its a matter of sway, not propulsion.

Joe

Other possible contributor would be "stabilizers".

Bingo

As for "top heavy".... she does look it, but the reality is that she
probably isn't.

I dunno, the ABS has recently decided that use of active
stabilizers counts for stability. Maybe they have some sort
of absolute guarantee that the system never goes down? In
any event, the standards for ship's metacenter has been
changed. Maybe when one of them falls on it's side and the
crew has to right it like a Laser,
http://www.willamettesailingclub.com...os/capsize.jpg
the standards will change back again?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King