Thom Stewart

Bart,

I have a Red Dot heater in the pilothouse and when its cold I run the
diesel at a fast idle for the Red Dot and the PH stays nice a warm. I
also have a "Heat Pal" which does a good job keeping the PH Cozy and I
can turn the top grill upside down and cook a stew are BBQ ribs. I've
found that running the engine for the Red Dot uses less fuel than the
Heat Pal. Both do a good job.

The coldest I've ever seen was a trip from Sag Harbor to Greenport on
Long Island Sound in a freezing rain. That was a lot of years ago and I
was a lot younger.

I've sailed a lot more in cold weather out here in the NW but have
managed to stay pretty comfortable. Winter Sailing can be fun; if you
set up for it.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Scott Vernon

"Thom Stewart" wrote
For light air I have a Hild 170% Drifter which is 331 sq ft, which I

can
fly free behind the rolled up jenny

Thom, how do you attach the tack?

Scotty

Thom Stewart

NW Weather Chk

Temp; @ 6:00 AM 47' F Cloudy

Sorry Northeastern's! Looks like a pretty tough Blizzard.

Ole Thom

Capt. Neal®

Give it up, old man! My sails are better than yours in every possible way.

For one thing, all my sails are real. I won't have that roll-up crap aboard.

My mainsail has the following dimensions:

P = 27 feet
E = 9" 6"
Area = 134 ft2
6.9 US oz Dacron white
4 standard battens
two reef points at 4' and 8' above boom with clamcleat at each reef
number 91 in black color on each side
Coronado insignia in black on both sides
luff 1/2 inch slug slides
foot- shelf foot with 3/8" bolt rope with 3/8" slug at clew
triple stitch, aluminum headboard, leach line with clam cleat, patches
at head, tack, clew, telltales, sailbags, tie lines in reefing points,
tack offset: A = 5-3/8", B=1", C=sliding, D=6", E = 1", F = 3/4"
Price= $515.95 USD

It's OK for you to be jealous.

As for your silly roll-up headsail, I got you beat because I have the following
hank-on, trouble free sails.

Storm jib (new)
75% jib (new)
100% jib (new)
110% jib (old, original)
130% jenny (new)
150% jenny (new)
170% jenny (old original)
Asymmetrical cruising spinnaker with sock (matching blue and yellow) (new)
150% drifter (blue and white stripes) (good condition, Bacon's)

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Crapton Neal;

My main is 160 sq ft. Larger than yours. What is the size of your Hong
Kong Main anyhow? You should be able to give us a very accurate reading
right off your purchase sheet as I did.

My "J" is 11' 10". I carry a 319 sq ft Jenny on a furler. It is a 10-40
HH Regulater 150%

For light air I have a Hild 170% Drifter which is 331 sq ft, which I can
fly free behind the rolled up jenny or I can remove the Jenny and set
the Drifter in the slot on the twin groove furler, for racing purpose in
Cruising Class,

I also, carry a Assy. Spinnaker that falls somewhere in between the
Jenny and the Drifter. Not sure exactly the sq ft ? I've modified it a
few times. Added panels to it between the bottom panel (2) Eased the top
Vertical section some when I put it in the sleeve.

That's my sails. I know my "P" is higher than yours because you told me
the main I offered you was to long. Tell us Neal, what is the size of
Rig?

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Capt. Neal®

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Steve,

You're making a terrible mistake listening to Neal's nonsense. He just
fires for effect.
Look at Pneuma profile as compared to the Catalena 30 moored on the same
finger pier. (Picture number three.) You tell me which boat has the
higher windage.
The Cat 30's cabin and the top of the Pilothouse are at about the same
height. The pilothouse is a lot lower than the Cat 30's Dodger.

Now go forward of the Pilothouse. "Pneuma's profile is lower than the
Cat 30 for about 10 to 12 feet.

Now go to Neal's Web and look at "Mustard's" coach profile. Pneumatic
windage is probably lower than Neal's raised Aft Cabin and he is two
foot shorter overall. Just compare the window size in both cabins.

About half his statements made about boat are without basic facts. They
are meant to create discussion, such as this. Don't believe anything he
posts. It mostly misleading to at times pure BS.

But; he is our Crapton regardless!

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

My, oh my but somebody has been eating his Wheaties today.

Wheaties or no, you need to get your glasses checked. There
is no way Cut the Mustard's streamlined cabin profile has
more windage than your squared off box sitting atop a hull
that looks like a mid-eighties vintage Hunter. Your boat looks
like a floating Nash Rambler with it's silly windshield.

Try to remember that real sailboats are operated from the
cockpit and not from inside a pilot house. That's for trawlers
and ships the likes of which Shen and otnmbrd claim to operate.

CN

Capt. Neal®

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Steve,

The "Gulf 29" is much more like the "Newport 30". That is the Hull it
is biult up from. There is some difference
in the stern

Neal, is you are reading this you go to picture #3 and tell me that sail
cover is to small?

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

http://community-2.webtv.net/tassail.../mailedD15.jpg

The sail cover is too small vertically. Look in the picture how it can't
even manage to cover the bottom of the boom forward.

CN
Capt. Neal®

Just wait until you eventually run aground with those silly little end plates
on the bottom of your keel. You won't even be able to heel the vessel to
lift the keep because the end plates will just dig in and the boat will be
even more stuck.

And, if you ever anchor when there is a good tidal current running that
shifts every six hours you will find the rode gets tangled on those silly
little end plates as the boat veers to wind and tide. Most likely the anchor
will get pulled lose.

It constantly amazes me how so-called cruising sailors on this group know
so little about cruising and all that's involved with it.

CN

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
John,

Never tried it (Sitting on the wing out of the water.) Damn well don't
intend to try it either. With the wind we have around here know it
wouldn't stay upright

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Thom Stewart

Scott,

With the roller furler it leaves the tack hook empty on the bow. It is
in front of the furler but as soon as the sail fills with air it flies
clear. The same for the peak. I fly it from my spinnaker halyard, which
is forward of the furler. It clears itself with the wind.

Tacking is the problem; if I want to stay clear of the upper fitting on
the furler. I carry my lazy sheet forward of the furler so that when I
tack, everything clears to the other side. The clew usually needs to be
guided around.

Scott, in real light air, I often just run both sheet behind the furler
and let the peak and the tack wrap around the furler.

The fact of the matter is, this is the way I fly it most of the time.
Tacking is very simple this way and single handing I don't have to leave
the cockpit. I have to be on the proper tack to lower it.

When it is lowered I return the Halyard to a position over the spreader
to free it from the furler.

If you're thinking of doing it I'll send you some pictures. The Drifter
works great. It has really kept the Spinnaker in its Bag.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Thom Stewart

BB,

Your right, it is the Peconic Sound but you put a label on yourself for
making the point.

Thom Stewart

Neal,

You didn't follow directions. Picture #3 is the new main with the new
cover as it is today.

Picture #3. The picture of the boat in the water as of today.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage